No announcement yet.

Houses are selling left and right in our neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are in a nice neighborhood chances are your not going to get hood rats moving in, but they do manage to get in sometimes.....

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      What’s wrong with renters?
      Its been my experience in my own neighborhood (middle class neighborhood $230-$270kish homes) that the handful of homes that have been sold and became rentals are typically not cared for like all of the other homes that are occupied by homeowners. Most of the time the grass does not get watered at all, so the yards are a yellowed, burnt up mess. Landscaping isn't taken care of very well, junk is piled up, fences aren't fixed when they need repair, etc..... Our HOA should and may address some of these issues with the landlord, since it shouldn't matter if the residence is occupied by an owner or a renter, they still have to follow all of the same rules. Overall, you can just tell a difference in how the homes are cared for and how they look.

As far as homes selling at a crazy rate and for crazy money.... I live just north of Austin, so the big thing around here now is that homes don't even make it onto the MLS b/f they are purchased. Stick a "coming soon" sign in the front yard and many have multiple offers over asking price within hours. I know several guys I work with who sell houses on the side, and they are seeing this trend more and more.

Comment

The last place that we had, the average home cost about $125k and there were no hood rats nor were there much trash. But with renters come people that don’t care about the yard, throw parties, and just generally don’t pay anyone else any respect.

Out of the 4 rent houses on our very short street, 2 are not currently occupied and the other 2 don’t do squat with their yards. 2 other home owners on our street also don’t do squat with their yards. One would think with average home prices in this neighborhood being north of $200k that people would take care of their investment but that just isn’t the case. I’m thinking more and more that our next move will be to a place where land is measured by the acre and not by square feet.

Comment

We are in the exact same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
            I thought that is what we had done by moving to a nice new neighborhood that is typically priced higher than what rent houses are, and there is an HOA here too. So that theory was shot out of the water.
            Our HOA does not allow rent homes, although if it did, I would imagine most of the renters would be pretty clean folks. HOA has its prod and cons. I'll be out of here soon anyway.
            Last edited by Sleepy; 08-06-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I own my home and rented until I got to this point. Not all renters are bad. I remember where I came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                Our HOA does not allow rent homes.
                Neither does mine, about the only thing they do that’s worth a dang.

Comment

The housing market around waco is crazy right now. The average lot on my street in robinson is anywhere from 2-10 acres with a few larger places. Several places have sold in the last couple of years that were not even on the market. My neighbor across the street never had any intention of moving as they were right at retirement age, but one day they had an offer in their mailbox that they would have to be crazy to pass up. Ive been keeping my place looking extra nice now waiting for my crazy offer in my mailbox.

Comment

Is your neighborhood close to the high speed train's proposed route?

In this area, Community of Field Store FM 1488 just west of Magnolia, I bet 10% of the houses along its path are for sale, with another 20% sold in the last year alone.
                    Last edited by Thumper; 08-06-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

When we decided to put our old house up for sale, it was on the market for 1 1/2 days and we had 8 offers. The one we chose was $10k over our asking price. This was in 2014 and things have only gotten crazier.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        You can pretty easily price most of that out by being in a good area
                        Man you would so think but you’re wrong. I have seen doctors/lawyers wipe there *** and throw it in the floor and stack months worth of to go orders on a table in a 5g a month rental. People are disgusting and do not give a s especially when they do not own it. Not all but it happens. I sold my last home.. starter home because the starters left and renters moved in. They did not mow,water fences falling down etc. Now I agree a portion of that is on the LL.

Comment

As a landlord I struggle to price a property effectively. It's hard to maintain a perfect yard because it drives a rental price very high which inturn reduces the amount of renters that can afford a place.

I was "allowing" some one to manage my rental property (a duplex) and unfortunately the yards are in shambles. I am currently updating the duplex but don't want to spend too much on the yard because I know it will not be taken care off.

Question for others with rentals, do you charge extra and just do the yard work on your dime?? Or is the yard maintenance just an expectation put on the tenant??

Comment

Houses are selling left and right in our neighborhood

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                            The last place that we had, the average home cost about $125k and there were no hood rats nor were there much trash. But with renters come people that don’t care about the yard, throw parties, and just generally don’t pay anyone else any respect.

Out of the 4 rent houses on our very short street, 2 are not currently occupied and the other 2 don’t do squat with their yards. 2 other home owners on our street also don’t do squat with their yards. One would think with average home prices in this neighborhood being north of $200k that people would take care of their investment but that just isn’t the case. I’m thinking more and more that our next move will be to a place where land is measured by the acre and not by square feet.

125k? Was that in the 80’s? I would not want to be anywhere near a home worth 125k in Baton Rouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Black Ice; 08-06-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                              125k? Was that in the 80’s? I would not want to be anywhere near a home worth 125k in Baton Rouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was in 2016 and was 1k square foot. A starter home.

Comment

In the old world... a renter was the guy/family that normally wouldnt take care of your house, cause issues with neighbors, generally take advantage that "its not his".
                                in the new world...its still all that, but now its 5 families sharing the house for residency so their kids can go to your schools.
                                Want to see a GOOD neighborhood go to ****?
                                Add a rental house.

Comment

Working...
                                X