2018 Select Baseball Fall Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
    Well my son’s team lost in the Championship game just now.

I will say this U trip really needs some new rules concerning base running and what is allowed and not allowed and enforce it. It is ridiculous to watch sometimes. Runners taking off before the pitcher is even set. Fake running or jumping up and down like you are going to run and then stopping. Allowing teams to do that is not giving a catcher a fighting chance to throw anyone out. I watched a team today that had 1 hit and won the game 11-2. All this crap is not teaching the boys baseball. Little league has the right idea concerning base runners but unfortunately there is none in our area
    I'm not sure where you are coming from saying little league has it figured out. Little league is ridiculous all the way around. Maybe I'm missing your point but would some work with your pitchers on holding runners be beneficial? My oldest is one that will take a base on the pitcher before he even throws the pitch, I don't like it because all they have to do is step off, but they don't and it's worked so far. That's a straight coaching issue IMO.

The 8s were able to pull it out today, Matt Dozier champs....Logan and his buddy Mossy, (legal name, and as in Oak)
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
      Well my son’s team lost in the Championship game just now.

I will say this U trip really needs some new rules concerning base running and what is allowed and not allowed and enforce it. It is ridiculous to watch sometimes. Runners taking off before the pitcher is even set. Fake running or jumping up and down like you are going to run and then stopping. Allowing teams to do that is not giving a catcher a fighting chance to throw anyone out. I watched a team today that had 1 hit and won the game 11-2. All this crap is not teaching the boys baseball. Little league has the right idea concerning base runners but unfortunately there is none in our area
      Sorry about your loss but thats baseball. Not sure what you mean about usssa rules. That’s MLB rules also. Step off and throw them out and they will stop running.

Btw. Little league rules and tight bases are ridiculous.
      Last edited by ShockValue; 09-16-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Tan gave 110% today and took a beating behind the plate..catching 1 and 2/3'rds games ..zero passed balls.. none.. stopped everything... had throw outs at 2nd, 3rd and first..and then pitched an inning for 2k's and a groundout..
        Boys battled but came up just short.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          I'm not sure where you are coming from saying little league has it figured out. Little league is ridiculous all the way around. Maybe I'm missing your point but would some work with your pitchers on holding runners be beneficial? My oldest is one that will take a base on the pitcher before he even throws the pitch, I don't like it because all they have to do is step off, but they don't and it's worked so far. That's a straight coaching issue IMO.

The 8s were able to pull it out today, Matt Dozier champs....Logan and his buddy Mossy, (legal name, and as in Oak)
          What I mean by little league they do not allow runners to get off bag until the ball crosses the plate. At least put something in the rules that says the base runner can lead off but can’t advance until the ball leaves the pitchers hand.

Our boys team had a great first tournament and made it to the championship so life is good at our house

Comment

We had a bad start that you just can't recover from on Sunday, lol. I dont normally complain and we still would have lost, but it was pretty crazy with an ump.

Started with the smallest strike zone I had ever seen. We were warned by both teams from the prior game. Both said it was almost impossible, and were complaining to the TD. Our top 3 pitcher walked the first 3 batters. We put in our 2nd best pitcher and he proceeds to give up 9 runs without getting an out. Only 2 recorded hits. Jax gets called in with bases loaded, and no outs. He walked the first batter for another run. 10 in the top of the inning. He then gets a double play ball, and grounder back to him to end the inning. Then goes another 2 innings giving up one more earned run.

Some more fun - Catcher blocked the plate on a grounder to third. Ump flat out said blocking the plate is legal. Next, later in the game with 2 outs the other team subbed in a player without notifying anyone. We threw out the first pitch to him. Coach called time, and notified the ump of what took place. Other Coach admitted he made a mistake straight to the Ump, and our Coach. Ump said play on, they are just 11.

Jax did great, very proud of him. He gave up an unearned run after a ball went off the C's glove. Parent heard him tell the C, Don't worry, we will get it back. You're doing great back there. After all that mess it was definitely a proud moment.

We missed the pool play games the night before, going to the Buckeye game. The game ended, and due to the delays and all, were able to catch the last 2 innings of his Team's game. This tournament is ridiculous.

He also threw 2 TDs in a 20-14 loss in football Sat. morning. It was fun to see him out slinging it again. He loved it.

Comment

Little League has died because of the rules. Kids did not learn how to pitch it run bases. Kids pitching take as long as they want getting to ball to the plate. Runners are standing with hips turned. Pitchers don’t learn how to get downhill quick, hoe to step off and manufacture outs- runners don’t learn how to watch a pitcher, get secondary lead, turn hips and run, lots of differences on base pads. It may be frustrating as an observer to watch a team win only by pressing the bases. It will make your pitchers learn and get better next time- I hope your coaches learned something and change their focus to stopping this. My kid plays in a high school program that presses the pads more than any other team I’ve seen. It wins a lot of games for a lot of years. They do run out of a few innings but that is just them getting beat at their game

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                We had a bad start that you just can't recover from on Sunday, lol. I dont normally complain and we still would have lost, but it was pretty crazy with an ump.

Started with the smallest strike zone I had ever seen. We were warned by both teams from the prior game. Both said it was almost impossible, and were complaining to the TD. Our top 3 pitcher walked the first 3 batters. We put in our 2nd best pitcher and he proceeds to give up 9 runs without getting an out. Only 2 recorded hits. Jax gets called in with bases loaded, and no outs. He walked the first batter for another run. 10 in the top of the inning. He then gets a double play ball, and grounder back to him to end the inning. Then goes another 2 innings giving up one more earned run.

Some more fun - Catcher blocked the plate on a grounder to third. Ump flat out said blocking the plate is legal. Next, later in the game with 2 outs the other team subbed in a player without notifying anyone. We threw out the first pitch to him. Coach called time, and notified the ump of what took place. Other Coach admitted he made a mistake straight to the Ump, and our Coach. Ump said play on, they are just 11.

Jax did great, very proud of him. He gave up an unearned run after a ball went off the C's glove. Parent heard him tell the C, Don't worry, we will get it back. You're doing great back there. After all that mess it was definitely a proud moment.

We missed the pool play games the night before, going to the Buckeye game. The game ended, and due to the delays and all, were able to catch the last 2 innings of his Team's game. This tournament is ridiculous.

He also threw 2 TDs in a 20-14 loss in football Sat. morning. It was fun to see him out slinging it again. He loved it.
                Good stuff man. Seems like the umps were a hot topic everywhere this weekend. We had a couple clearly wrong calls made against us but we didn't hit the ball well enough to complain.

Comment

I would teach your kids young not to complain, look back,anything on an umpire call. Teach them to run off and never look back or shake head. At an older age you will see a notebook get closed, Guy pack up and leave- go watch next kid they are interested in. I saw it twice in a talented position player this Sunmer

Comment

Good stuff man. Seems like the umps were a hot topic everywhere this weekend. We had a couple clearly wrong calls made against us but we didn't hit the ball well enough to complain.
                    I almost didnt post about it for that exact reason. Probably would have lost anyways with the way we were playing all around.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      Tan gave 110% today and took a beating behind the plate..catching 1 and 2/3'rds games ..zero passed balls.. none.. stopped everything... had throw outs at 2nd, 3rd and first..and then pitched an inning for 2k's and a groundout..
                      Boys battled but came up just short.
                      https://youtu.be/RpqLmmbaP64
                      Awesome ! Looked great

Comment

He was calling his own throw'offs... and tended to get a little greedy an wanted to throw everyone out at second...called a couple throw offs when he had a runner on 3rd..coach took over the reins after that

They did slow their steal attempts of second and third down a bit though..

Comment

Saw you guys walking out of Grimes on Sat, wish I had a minute to chat

Comment

I need a little help, gentlemen.

We are not playing fall ball in order to get some deer lease time in, play a little basketball, and do other things. I am looking for someone for Brady to meet with each week or every other week to help keep him somewhat sharp, and to progress.

We've talked to a few guys at a few facilities, but I really don't know how to go about picking one aside from just trying a few lessons with each.

Do any of you know, or recommend a guy near Roanoke, Keller, Hazlet, or Argyle? Or are there any you would recommend that I stay away from?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dale. If I remember right your kid is young. Get a glove and long toss with him a couple times a week. If he wants to hit just go rent a cage and throw BP. I wouldn’t do more than he wants and long toss in the off-season is the best way to improve arm strength, velocity, confidence

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                                Dale. If I remember right your kid is young. Get a glove and long toss with him a couple times a week. If he wants to hit just go rent a cage and throw BP. I wouldn’t do more than he wants and long toss in the off-season is the best way to improve arm strength, velocity, confidence
                                He's 7. We work at home to the extent that we can, now. Ground balls (footwork), fly balls and long toss. We havn't been hitting because the yard is shrinking. But in a few weeks it's gonna be dark when we get home, he'll have some basketball practice, and we'll be deer hunting on weekends. Just want to keep things fresh in his mind...maybe every other week.

Already have a PM offer, thanks yall.
                                Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-19-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X