Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Towing in tow haul mode or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use it, it’s there for a reason. I use mine regularly on my ecoboost and it will still go into 6th gear if the load is light enough.

Comment

Very rarely use it. I don’t like the way it feel while driving with it.

I have a 32ft travel trailer that’s 8400lbs dry and the tundra pulls it better not in tow haul, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use mine when in heavy traffic to help stop better.

Comment

Always when towing something

Comment

I was told by a Dodge mechanic Tow/haul also increases clutch plate pressure .

When it was explained like that I started using it anytime I drive hard or pull something. They told me this because I went through three transmissions in the last dodge I had. 3 fully new transmissions in 70k miles (2015 2500 5.7l hemi.) One time I burned up the high and low clutches and only had 4th gear from Abilene to San Antonio!! And I wasn’t even pulling a trailer at the time...

These days I use it pretty regularly even though I have an F-350 diesel. Even on small trailers like the boat.

Comment

Tundra?

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              Very rarely use it. I don’t like the way it feel while driving with it.

I have a 32ft travel trailer that’s 8400lbs dry and the tundra pulls it better not in tow haul, IMO.

A few months ago I went back to the Tundra after Fords for several years. So, have you researched what they recommend? All I pull these days are a 16' tandem with a crew UTV and don't see the need to put in tow mode.

Comment

Your doing yourself a disservice not using tow mode on a tundra. It drives completely different, a lot more get up and go!

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                A few months ago I went back to the Tundra after Fords for several years. So, have you researched what they recommend? All I pull these days are a 16' tandem with a crew UTV and don't see the need to put in tow mode.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post

I haven’t researched anything, just telling you what I prefer.

I’m assuming Toyota would want you to use tow haul mode.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                    Use it when you need it. Like going up a hill or from a stopped position. Once you fill the engine catch up, dis-engage it so it will kick into overdrive or more of an economy mode.

My Ram still shifts into overdrive if the load is light enough with tow/haul mode turned on. It is there for a reason and that is to prolong the life of the transmission. The engineers designed it to work a certain way for a reason.

Comment

Don't know about the transmissions on the 1/2 tons but my 06 dodge diesel has tow/haul and OD lockout. Tow/haul only adjusts the shift points but does not lock out OD. OD lockout seems to also adjust shift points but won't let it go in to OD.

Dave

Comment

I use it even with an empty trailer. If the truck has it might as well use it.

Comment

Well I'm seeing who not to buy a used truck from around here...

Use tow/haul mode or turn off OD. I burnt my OD up pulling a smaller U-Haul trailer on a short trip up to Buffalo NY once...

Comment

In the Ram it does more than just move shift points , It will increase line pressure as well . max PSI you can obtain with a stock trans ( unless you installed the BD kit when it was rebuilt) is 165 PSI . So in TOW mode it will ramp up pressure much faster , as well it adjusts shifts, also it will run on a new TC LOCK mode , The program will also get it off the sprag in 1st gear faster , That is on the trans side , on the engine side it is now running on different timing tables to prevent issue there , no eco mode , That is a short list with the major items listed .

Tearing up the OD clutch pack is more a driver error than anything . Guys will try to not have it down shift ad you have a tall gear ratio pulling is a great way to break parts . You are better to have it down shift than not on long grades while pulling .

Only the driver will know how it feels . That is not much weight per say . but I have no idea what gear ratio that truck was optioned with either .

being that the new trans is a E type it is running on many different programs and the program is a learning one . It has a base " tune " in that tune it has the ability to be adaptive to that drivers style .

The tech has come along ways , look at the new ford 10 speed autos all for a reason .

Great gear split across the board

Model 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 R
                            Hydra-Matic 10R80 (MF6) 4.70 2.99 2.15 1.80 1.52 1.28 1.00 0.85 0.69 0.64 4.87

His truck has a 5 speed so 3rd is 1:1 with a double over has a twist though 2nd gear is 1.67 upshift but 1.5 on the down shift . back to the tech later they went 6 speed and now 8 speed in the gas units the trans is a ZF Friedrichshafen. I think around 2014 ish

Trans tech is amazing really . Well hope the post was of some use , or I just rambled on HA HA

Comment

I use mine on my 2016 F-150 when towing boat and travel trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X