No announcement yet.

Towing in tow haul mode or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use it, it’s there for a reason. I use mine regularly on my ecoboost and it will still go into 6th gear if the load is light enough.

Comment

Very rarely use it. I don’t like the way it feel while driving with it.

I have a 32ft travel trailer that’s 8400lbs dry and the tundra pulls it better not in tow haul, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use mine when in heavy traffic to help stop better.

Comment

Always when towing something

Comment

I was told by a Dodge mechanic Tow/haul also increases clutch plate pressure .

When it was explained like that I started using it anytime I drive hard or pull something. They told me this because I went through three transmissions in the last dodge I had. 3 fully new transmissions in 70k miles (2015 2500 5.7l hemi.) One time I burned up the high and low clutches and only had 4th gear from Abilene to San Antonio!! And I wasn’t even pulling a trailer at the time...

These days I use it pretty regularly even though I have an F-350 diesel. Even on small trailers like the boat.

Comment

Tundra?

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              Very rarely use it. I don’t like the way it feel while driving with it.

I have a 32ft travel trailer that’s 8400lbs dry and the tundra pulls it better not in tow haul, IMO.

A few months ago I went back to the Tundra after Fords for several years. So, have you researched what they recommend? All I pull these days are a 16' tandem with a crew UTV and don't see the need to put in tow mode.

Comment

Your doing yourself a disservice not using tow mode on a tundra. It drives completely different, a lot more get up and go!

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                A few months ago I went back to the Tundra after Fords for several years. So, have you researched what they recommend? All I pull these days are a 16' tandem with a crew UTV and don't see the need to put in tow mode.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post

I haven’t researched anything, just telling you what I prefer.

I’m assuming Toyota would want you to use tow haul mode.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                    Use it when you need it. Like going up a hill or from a stopped position. Once you fill the engine catch up, dis-engage it so it will kick into overdrive or more of an economy mode.

My Ram still shifts into overdrive if the load is light enough with tow/haul mode turned on. It is there for a reason and that is to prolong the life of the transmission. The engineers designed it to work a certain way for a reason.

Comment

Don't know about the transmissions on the 1/2 tons but my 06 dodge diesel has tow/haul and OD lockout. Tow/haul only adjusts the shift points but does not lock out OD. OD lockout seems to also adjust shift points but won't let it go in to OD.

Dave

Comment

I use it even with an empty trailer. If the truck has it might as well use it.

Comment

Well I'm seeing who not to buy a used truck from around here...

Use tow/haul mode or turn off OD. I burnt my OD up pulling a smaller U-Haul trailer on a short trip up to Buffalo NY once...

Comment

In the Ram it does more than just move shift points , It will increase line pressure as well . max PSI you can obtain with a stock trans ( unless you installed the BD kit when it was rebuilt) is 165 PSI . So in TOW mode it will ramp up pressure much faster , as well it adjusts shifts, also it will run on a new TC LOCK mode , The program will also get it off the sprag in 1st gear faster , That is on the trans side , on the engine side it is now running on different timing tables to prevent issue there , no eco mode , That is a short list with the major items listed .

Tearing up the OD clutch pack is more a driver error than anything . Guys will try to not have it down shift ad you have a tall gear ratio pulling is a great way to break parts . You are better to have it down shift than not on long grades while pulling .

Only the driver will know how it feels . That is not much weight per say . but I have no idea what gear ratio that truck was optioned with either .

being that the new trans is a E type it is running on many different programs and the program is a learning one . It has a base " tune " in that tune it has the ability to be adaptive to that drivers style .

The tech has come along ways , look at the new ford 10 speed autos all for a reason .

Great gear split across the board

Model 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 R
                            Hydra-Matic 10R80 (MF6) 4.70 2.99 2.15 1.80 1.52 1.28 1.00 0.85 0.69 0.64 4.87

His truck has a 5 speed so 3rd is 1:1 with a double over has a twist though 2nd gear is 1.67 upshift but 1.5 on the down shift . back to the tech later they went 6 speed and now 8 speed in the gas units the trans is a ZF Friedrichshafen. I think around 2014 ish

Trans tech is amazing really . Well hope the post was of some use , or I just rambled on HA HA

Comment

I use mine on my 2016 F-150 when towing boat and travel trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X