iPhone Update iOS 11.4.1: MAJOR Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

might toggle this and see what happens:
    If your iPhone has LTE networking, and most do these days, there are some situations where you may want to disable the LTE cellular network. This can be helpful in a variety of cases, from a self-i…

Comment

here is another trick to check your signal strength and huevo microwaving:

Forget about measuring your cell signal strength using just dots or bars - this simple hack allows you to see the actual signal strength your iPhone is receiving.

I wonder if you were to test turning off the other phones in your location, one at a time and see if the issue goes away. could be interference with another phone. so a new phone introduced to the equation could plausibly cause some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
        here is another trick to check your signal strength and huevo microwaving:

Forget about measuring your cell signal strength using just dots or bars - this simple hack allows you to see the actual signal strength your iPhone is receiving.

I wonder if you were to test turning off the other phones in your location, one at a time and see if the issue goes away. could be interference with another phone. so a new phone introduced to the equation could plausibly cause some issues.
        It was doing it regardless of location. Work, home, in between. Always had a signal then almost never have it.
        I called Apple today. They told me a few things to try then call them back. They said:
        Update iTunes
        Back up phone
        Reset phone to factory settings
        If that fixed it then they’d start reinstalling my back up until we hit a problem, then they’d know if it was a software or a hardware issue.
        I had put my SIM card in another iPhone I had and it worked perfect while I had it in there. While it was in there, I updated my iTunes to the newest version. Then I put the SIM card back in my regular phone and did the back up.
        I stopped there as it seemed my phone was now functioning properly. I did not go as far as the factory reset. It’s been about 3 hours and I haven’t lost the signal yet! In actuality, I did nothing that could’ve fixed it but it appears to be working properly. If it starts messing up again then I’ll do the factory reset. There’s no rhyme or reason why it’s working now, unless for some crazy reason updating my iTunes somehow mysteriously fixed it. I see no way that could happen but I’m at a loss as of now!

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          It was doing it regardless of location. Work, home, in between. Always had a signal then almost never have it.
          I called Apple today. They told me a few things to try then call them back. They said:
          Update iTunes
          Back up phone
          Reset phone to factory settings
          If that fixed it then they’d start reinstalling my back up until we hit a problem, then they’d know if it was a software or a hardware issue.
          I had put my SIM card in another iPhone I had and it worked perfect while I had it in there. While it was in there, I updated my iTunes to the newest version. Then I put the SIM card back in my regular phone and did the back up.
          I stopped there as it seemed my phone was now functioning properly. I did not go as far as the factory reset. It’s been about 3 hours and I haven’t lost the signal yet! In actuality, I did nothing that could’ve fixed it but it appears to be working properly. If it starts messing up again then I’ll do the factory reset. There’s no rhyme or reason why it’s working now, unless for some crazy reason updating my iTunes somehow mysteriously fixed it. I see no way that could happen but I’m at a loss as of now!
          that sounds like to me something was hung up in the system then when you did that it reset the sim's connection with a new IMEI...interesting but makes sense. the IMEI is the phones identifier and of course the SIM has it's own identification, so you basically reset something on the network end....any chance that sim had been in another phone prior? just curious...but you know how to fix that, just don't have a way to know if that's the issue...just another tool in the toolbox

Comment

I updated a few days back and ever since it is eating up battery..?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
              I updated a few days back and ever since it is eating up battery..?
              not to say that this version doesn't but I have had the same issue in the past with other versions of iOS updates, but sometimes, if you are in an area where your phone is 'hunting' for signal, it will eat up more battery as it repeatedly tries to reconnect to a tower or wi-fi when it is in one of those 'nether' regions just on the edge of range or interference.

This last update could have some affect that adds to that but, I am wondering if you pulled the sim out, rebooted the phone and put the sim back in as LFD2037 did, just curious to see what the outcome would be.

Luckily I am not having that issue currently but have fought with it in the past, if it ever happens again, I am going to play the musical sim and see if that has any affect just itself on the issue at the time. It is quite possible there is some real substance to that.

Comment

that sounds like to me something was hung up in the system then when you did that it reset the sim's connection with a new IMEI...interesting but makes sense. the IMEI is the phones identifier and of course the SIM has it's own identification, so you basically reset something on the network end....any chance that sim had been in another phone prior? just curious...but you know how to fix that, just don't have a way to know if that's the issue...just another tool in the toolbox
                No such luck. It lasted until about 8pm last night then I lost service & haven't had it since.

Comment

Sounds more like a hardware issue than a software iissue to me. Perhaps just coincidence that it happened around the time of the update.

I personally haven’t had any issues except for battery life. Adjusted the settings to save some power and no more issues.

Comment

12 beta might be the only escape...

here is a link to a page with quite a bit of other mostly general info and a link for the beta if you are so inclined.

I think I might pull 12 beta down on one of my ipads just for giggles

Comment

Well, the phone is done. I tried doing the "restore to factory settings" 7 times & it keeps saying "phone is unable to be restore". Phone won't do anything except show the itunes logo. Apple call center was no help. I have an appt. Tuesday.
                      I read reports of the updating causing the "no service" issue & I've also read the hardware craps the bed & starts w/ the "no service" deal. Apple has extended the warranty for the main board to 2 years as it's a known issue.
                      Thanks for everybody's input! I'll post back after they fix it Tuesday.

Comment

Well, the phone is done. I tried doing the "restore to factory settings" 7 times & it keeps saying "phone is unable to be restore". Phone won't do anything except show the itunes logo. Apple call center was no help. I have an appt. Tuesday.
                        I read reports of the updating causing the "no service" issue & I've also read the hardware craps the bed & starts w/ the "no service" deal. Apple has extended the warranty for the main board to 2 years as it's a known issue.
                        Thanks for everybody's input! I'll post back after they fix it Tuesday.
                        wow, was it just the 7's that have that issue?

Comment

wow, was it just the 7's that have that issue?
                          My understanding is it's just 7 & 7 plus.

Comment

Even though it’s annoying to have issues, just knowing if I do have an issue I can go to the Apple store and talk to and work with an actual human that actually knows how to correct problems or give me a replacement keeps me with Apple.

In the 8 years that I’ve owned Apple/MAC products I’ve only had to use it 2-3 times. But when I did I always left the store happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My understanding is it's just 7 & 7 plus.
                              I never update my iPhones because I always have issues when I do. This latest update, I inadvertently updated my iPhone 7 to. Now I lose cell service constantly. I have “no service” now and have lost it at least 20 times today. Prior to updating about 4 days ago, I’ve never lost service except for being waaaaay out in the boonies. I’ve tried restarting, doing hard restart, resetting network services, airplane on/off but nothing helps. Apple is saying they no longer support the 10.3 version that I updated from so I can’t go back to that. Any idea what I can do to fix this?
                              I have the 7 and I accidentally authorized the midnight update and I am having the same problems you are. I don't use Itune and cannot restore to my old setting If you come up with a fix other than replacement please let us know.

Comment

All they could offer was a new phone due to the hardware frying. I got the new phone today, finally. I really dislike getting a new phone and having to go thru all the set up crap! New one is working good so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X