Pistol in vehicle in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the law for an Oklahoman crossing into Texas with a pistol in cab. No chl so does clip have to be in bed of truck?+

it is legal to transport an unloaded weapon in a motor vehicle at any time. they have some weird carry laws on size of caliber you can carry as well

Individuals with hunting licenses may open carry loaded long arms and handguns when hunting during hunting season. Outside of this and a few other limited exceptions, Open Carry of handguns in a public setting requires a valid carry permit. Carry of unloaded, cased firearms without a permit is allowed while on foot, just as it is allowed while traveling in a vehicle.[citation needed] Firearms that are not handguns, (long arms) carried by pedestrians generally must be both completely unloaded and cased.

However, any person eligible to legally possess firearms may openly carry unloaded firearms that are not cased specifically "When going to or from the person's private residence or vehicle or a vehicle in which the person is riding as a passenger to a place designated or authorized for firearms repairs or reconditioning, or for firearms trade, sale, or barter, or gunsmith, or hunting animals or fowl, or hunter safety course, or target shooting, or skeet or trap shooting or any recognized firearms activity or event and while in such places". Only under these circumstances may individuals carry unloaded firearms publicly that are not cased.

Generally, when carrying firearms in a motor vehicle, (when traveling on public land or roads) they must be out of reach of the driver, unloaded, and cased. Persons possessing a handgun carry license may carry a loaded handgun inside their vehicle on their person, just as they are permitted to do so on foot. Persons possessing a handgun carry license may transport a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle under their control, and store a loaded handgun in a locked, secure motor vehicle. They may also transport loaded magazines for both handguns and long guns, however, they cannot legally transport loaded long guns. Firearms being improperly transported in any way may be immediately confiscated by police without compensation.

Comment

It is against the law for you to cross the border. But if you decide to sneak across have your gun concealed loaded or not.

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. Just keep it concealed!
        I know that OK is/was that way for me before I was licensed. I dove hunted with a game warden from OK in OK. I asked him and he told me to take the mag out and carry them separate. Even back then, we didn't have to do that here in Texas.
        Last edited by jlinville; 07-26-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Concealed and loaded is fine in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            Concealed and loaded is fine in Texas.
            This...Assuming it's legal for you to have a weapon in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
              it is legal to transport an unloaded weapon in a motor vehicle at any time. they have some weird carry laws on size of caliber you can carry as well

Individuals with hunting licenses may open carry loaded long arms and handguns when hunting during hunting season. Outside of this and a few other limited exceptions, Open Carry of handguns in a public setting requires a valid carry permit. Carry of unloaded, cased firearms without a permit is allowed while on foot, just as it is allowed while traveling in a vehicle.[citation needed] Firearms that are not handguns, (long arms) carried by pedestrians generally must be both completely unloaded and cased.

However, any person eligible to legally possess firearms may openly carry unloaded firearms that are not cased specifically "When going to or from the person's private residence or vehicle or a vehicle in which the person is riding as a passenger to a place designated or authorized for firearms repairs or reconditioning, or for firearms trade, sale, or barter, or gunsmith, or hunting animals or fowl, or hunter safety course, or target shooting, or skeet or trap shooting or any recognized firearms activity or event and while in such places". Only under these circumstances may individuals carry unloaded firearms publicly that are not cased.

Generally, when carrying firearms in a motor vehicle, (when traveling on public land or roads) they must be out of reach of the driver, unloaded, and cased. Persons possessing a handgun carry license may carry a loaded handgun inside their vehicle on their person, just as they are permitted to do so on foot. Persons possessing a handgun carry license may transport a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle under their control, and store a loaded handgun in a locked, secure motor vehicle. They may also transport loaded magazines for both handguns and long guns, however, they cannot legally transport loaded long guns. Firearms being improperly transported in any way may be immediately confiscated by police without compensation.
              Wow!! Wrong on so many levels...

You can have a loaded concealed handgun in your vehicle while traveling the roads of Texas. Key word, CONCEALED.

You can open carry a loaded long gun anywhere unless a private property owner says no. (ie: You can carry a loaded long gun down the street but a business owner may not allow you in his store/on his property) You can open carry a handgun on your property or property you have permission to be on and allowed to carry. I can open carry a handgun in my front yard or my neighbors yard (they gave me permission to), I can carry on my deer lease anytime of the year and don't have to be hunting. My landowner has given me permission to carry and kill anything I want to. Except his cows...

I believe the caliber restriction was lifted on CHL/LTC as well. I'll verify that.

Comment

You can have a pistol in your vehicle (loaded or unloaded), but unless you are licensed to carry it must not be visible. I’m also assuming the other reasons you wouldn’t be allowed don’t apply here (not a member of a gang, not committing a crime above of a class C misdemeanor, not prohibited from possessing)

The federal safe harbor guidelines of unloaded firearm and ammunition locked separately will also work, but that level isn’t needed in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Army of Dad; 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

The caliber restriction only applied to qualification, and I too think that restriction was lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WOW! Where did this manifesto come from?

Comment

Nobody is going to address the border crossing??

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                        Nobody is going to address the border crossing??
                        Nothing to address.
                        If he can legally possess a loaded fiream that is concealed in his vehicle in OK he can drive across the state line into Texas without issue.

Comment

He doesnt even know the proper terms who cares

Comment

Where did this come from?

From what I understand, it is legal in Texas to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a CHL, just can't be in plain view.

Comment

bring it, just let LEO know you have it if you get pulled over for anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X