No announcement yet.

Horny toad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what has happened to them over the years?

Comment

I see them a lot up here. Never have seen one in Texas.

Comment

Used to see them in Lubbock fairly regularly when i was out there in school but haven't seen one in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
          Some say fire ants, but consensus is that reasons range from human development and alteration of the landscape to pesticide use. Loss of habitat seemed to be the main reason.

Comment

I have several that call my yard home. I'll see them once or twice a week.
            They eat the big red harvester ants and the fire ants have pushed them out so they go where the food is.

Comment

Loved seeing those when I was a kid. Been so long ,I don't remember the last one I saw.

Comment

Cool pic! I've been hunting Duval County for 15 years and have seen ONE

Comment

This was the first one I have seen in awhile, seen them pretty regular when I was a kid.

Comment

I see em all the time out here. Saw a couple in CO this weekend.

Comment

I saw them all the time as a kid visiting my grand parents in Snyder and Abilene. They feed on the big black and red ants but the fire ants have wiped a lot of them out along with the horny toad.

Comment

There are a bunch in that Paint Rock area. We find several every year. Typically every dove opener we'll find a few.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
                          If you don't see any of these around, you'll be hard pressed to see a horned toad.

Red harvester ants are their preferred prey. People spraying these ants or treating for fireants and the harvester ants get hit in the crossfire has likely made the biggest impact to horny toad number.

Comment

I've got em out in my place in haskell. Got a good picture of one the other week while out filling feeders up

Comment

They use to be everywhere. Glad they are making a comeback

Comment

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
                                If you don't see any of these around, you'll be hard pressed to see a horned toad.

Red harvester ants are their preferred prey. People spraying these ants or treating for fireants and the harvester ants get hit in the crossfire has likely made the biggest impact to horny toad number.
                                I need to get some horny toads introduced on my property...I have at least half a dozen huge red ant nests just like that on my 16 acres.

Comment

Working...
                                X