No announcement yet.

Duck Boat Sinking in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the on in Ark a while back, and even before that wife and kids wanted to go on one while we were in Hot Springs and I said.. no... looks like a sinking waiting to happen.

Comment

I would imagine that as much as they run those things (multiple times a day for 20-30 years, since I took a trip on one as a very small boy) and what seems to be a small number of instances of death or serious injury they have a pretty good safety record. I read somewhere that of 37 or so deaths attributed to them since like 1999 the majority came from two very bad incidents. Either way, bad deal. I bet from here on out life jackets will be mandatory before entry into the water. Of course I didn't do any research, just one or two articles. They could sink daily but it seems rare to hear of accidents involving them.

Comment

So very sad, hate it for those families.

I have always said, never get in a duck boat and never let kids drive 4 wheelers. Each have a crazy amount of deaths. Youtube has countless duck boat accident videos. The number of lawsuits against duck boat companies is staggering.

Crazy thing is that I was in Branson a week ago today, having dinner at the Paddleboard dock resturant and a duck boat rammed into the big paddleboat tied on the dock. I had to fill out an incident report as a witness. That was 7 days ago, everyone was telling stories about the dangers of those boats. Wonder if it was the same driver.

Comment

Very Sad

Comment

Wow. We rode on one of those with the same company out of Branson. Horrible tragedy.

Comment

Never going in a cave and never going on a duck boat

Comment

horrible

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                  Those things are a death trap if they go down. Life jacket won’t help you one bit if you can’t get out.
                  They are death trap's because they add roofs to them. In the cases mentioned already people had life jackets on and were found trapped inside the vessel because the roof. My wife and kids were on those same ducks just a couple months ago. After reading about past accidents i told her that if they took a ride they needed to get off as soon as she recognized any trouble at all.

They should be made to remove the roofs and ad unbrellas

Comment

Sad deal. Prayers for those lost.

Comment

they suck almost as bad on the water as they do on land.

Comment

17 confirmed. No others believed to be missing. So tragic.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          They are death trap's because they add roofs to them. In the cases mentioned already people had life jackets on and were found trapped inside the vessel because the roof. My wife and kids were on those same ducks just a couple months ago. After reading about past accidents i told her that if they took a ride they needed to get off as soon as she recognized any trouble at all.

They should be made to remove the roofs and ad unbrellas
                          I was wondering that. Every commercial boat I have ever been on the first thing they say is where the life jackets are and the emergency procedures. The roof thing makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
                            The storm formed out of nowhere. I could easily see them slowly jugging along smooth waters and then all the sudden the wind picks up and your in 4 foot white cap mess. Poor boat captain (DRIVER) probably could not get off the lake in time when he realized a storm was forming. Maybe I am wrong though, but that is my two cents.
                            I can attest to that yesterday. It was sunny and still at 6:30 and we headed into Springfield from Ozark for supper we could see a huge thunderhead moving in from the north. Within 15 minutes the clouds arrived and it went from sunny and calm to 50-60 mph winds.

Comment

Prayers for the families

Comment

There were two boats on the water when the storm hit, the other just was able to get to the shoreline.

Comment

Working...
                                X