The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
    This is the clothing items I have for my Alaska trip. Will this work or should I have more or additional items?

I am still on the hunt for a sleeping bag and pad. Also not sure how many base camp items to bring.

My apologies for the rookie questions this is my first time doing this style of a hunt.

CLOTHING
    • 1 x KUIU PELETON 240 BEANIE
    • 1 x KUIU PELETON 97 NECK GAITER
    • 1 x BALL CAP
    • 1 x KUIU STRONGFLEECE 220 Glove
    • 1 x KUIU KENAI PACKABLE GLOVE
    • 1 x KUIU GAITER
    • 1 x KUIU CHUGACH TR RAIN GEAR
    • 1 x KUIU SUPERDOWN JACKET
    • 1 x KUIU SUPERDOWN PANTS
    • 1 x KUIU KENAI JACKET
    • 2 x KUIU ULTRA MERINO 120 LT LS
    • 2 x KUIU MERINO 120 ZIP OFF BOTTOM
    • 2 x KUIU KUTANA PANT
    • 1 x BOOTS
    • 1 x CROCS
    • 4 x MERINO WOOL UNDERWEAR
    • 6 x MERINO WOOL SOCKS
    • BASE CAMP PANTS
    • BASE CAMP SHIRTS
    What bags are on short list? Down? Synthetic? Mummy? Or even quilt?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      What bags are on short list? Down? Synthetic? Mummy? Or even quilt?

Mummy.

Was looking at Kuiu 15 and North face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mummy.

how do you sleep? side, back, stomach

and how big are you?

Comment

Back and on occasion side

Comment

Back and on occasion side

depending on your size pay attention to shoulder girth measurements. I personally like 32 + but I also use quilt because Im so broad shouldered and a side stomach sleeper

Comment

Mummy.

My opinion for Alaska go synthetic. Synthetic will keep you warm even if it gets wet. It will also dry out your clothes for you. My favorite bag wasn’t even expensive and I have taken it everywhere. Big Agnes 15 degree with the pad sleeve. Works awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                My opinion for Alaska go synthetic. Synthetic will keep you warm even if it gets wet. It will also dry out your clothes for you. My favorite bag wasn’t even expensive and I have taken it everywhere. Big Agnes 15 degree with the pad sleeve. Works awesome

Down is lighter in warmer but yes, it is worthless if it gets wet. The key is to not let your bag get wet. I use a Marmot Helium mummy which is rated down to 15° Because I’m tall i use a long version. Gives me plenty a room and it’s like crawling into a furnace. The downsizes it was not cheap and for long distance hiking it’s just a hair heavy, but it is warm.

Comment

I went with synthetic for this very reason. Wiggy’s sleeping bag was highly recommended to me by a buddy who just moved back from Alaska after living there for a bit.

Comment

Down is lighter in warmer but yes, it is worthless if it gets wet. The key is to not let your bag get wet. I use a Marmot Helium mummy which is rated down to 15° Because I’m tall i use a long version. Gives me plenty a room and it’s like crawling into a furnace. The downsizes it was not cheap and for long distance hiking it’s just a hair heavy, but it is warm.
                    I run down when hunting out west in Colorado, NM, AZ stuff like that.. But Alaska I would 100% take synthetic.. I took synthetic to both New Zealand and Tajikistan and think it was the correct choice.. If you can hike to the truck in a day no need for synthetic.. But if you cant I wouldnt trust down.

Comment

I run down when hunting out west in Colorado, NM, AZ stuff like that.. But Alaska I would 100% take synthetic.. I took synthetic to both New Zealand and Tajikistan and think it was the correct choice.. If you can hike to the truck in a day no need for synthetic.. But if you cant I wouldnt trust down.
                      This goes back to the dry stuff sack debate, right? I carried down on both AT and PCT hikes. Places like the Sierras, one was definitely not getting down to the truck if you had a problem! There is no wrong answer regarding down or synthetic…. If there are concerns of great dampness, then synthetic would be the right choice.

There were a handful of times on the AT where a midday dry out session was needed…. Hour of sun. This was because the bag was damp from humidity the night before. The PCT really was dry and despite being days into the mountains at times, I never felt insecure regarding the down.

Going into a cold night with a wet down sleeping bag Definitely is nothing to look forward to, again that’s why making sure your bag is dry is so important (rain and rivers), there is not much you could do about humidity.

Comment

Mummy.

Some say down some say synthetic.

I personally use both depending on what I’m doing. The key is to know how to keep your stuff dry. For instance my 20 degree quilt weighs 22 ounces, paired with my bivy that weighs 5 ounces for a grand total of 27 ounces. Other than throwing it in a creek or setting it outside in a storm, it isn’t getting wet. A 20 degree synthetic bag will average about 42-50 ounces or so. Just something to take into consideration.

On the other hand if there’s going to be packers for you, take the most comfy synthetic bag you want haha.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post

I personally use both depending on what I’m doing. The key is to know how to keep your stuff dry. For instance my 20 degree quilt weighs 22 ounces, paired with my bivy that weighs 5 ounces for a grand total of 27 ounces. Other than throwing it in a creek or setting it outside in a storm, it isn’t getting wet. A 20 degree synthetic bag will average about 42-50 ounces or so. Just something to take into consideration.

On the other hand if there’s going to be packers for you, take the most comfy synthetic bag you want haha.
                          I carry down and do everything to keep it dry. It goes in a water resistant stuff sack, then with the rest of of my water sensitive gear into a compacter bag liner. Years ago I received a cold soaking of myself and the top part of my synthetic bag. While I am sure wet synthetic bags are better than wet down (I have never had wet down). Being chilled I found it impossible to warm up with even a partially wet bag. Luckily, I was only 2.5 hours from the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                            I carry down and do everything to keep it dry. It goes in a water resistant stuff sack, then with the rest of of my water sensitive gear into a compacter bag liner. Years ago I received a cold soaking of myself and the top part of my synthetic bag. While I am sure wet synthetic bags are better than wet down (I have never had wet down). Being chilled I found it impossible to warm up with even a partially wet bag. Luckily, I was only 2.5 hours from the truck.
                            Same here. Synthetic or down, my sleeping bag/quilt always goes into a compressible dry bag, inside the waterproof liner of my backpack. Only time it comes out of that bag is inside the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post

I was trying to be subtle in regards keeping things dry and my opinions on the use of stuff sacks (see past conversation). The fear that your down item is going to get wet is really no reason not to use down. Are you using an Enlightment Equipment quilt? If so, which one a size. I want to add one of the quilts to my kit and I was thinking to go with something like a 30° quilt for milder months. Their quilts are incredibly popular. I’m not sure I totally get the concept but I want to try. Fir me they seem to make sense for milder temperatures.

Comment

I was trying to be subtle in regards keeping things dry and my opinions on the use of stuff sacks (see past conversation). The fear that your down item is going to get wet is really no reason not to use down. Are you using an Enlightment Equipment quilt? If so, which one a size. I want to add one of the quilts to my kit and I was thinking to go with something like a 30° quilt for milder months. Their quilts are incredibly popular. I’m not sure I totally get the concept but I want to try. Fir me they seem to make sense for milder temperatures.
                                I run enlighten equipment Revolution wide/long w/synthetic in Sept/Oct for past 6 years and before that an assortment of Mountain hardware and Moonstone bags, as I use to test for them. Not a fan of the newer MH bags as they have gotten to slim, w/few wider options. plus they changed rating system

I love my quilt, but Nov -Jan I normally switch to MH phantom down. It takes talent to wet out a down bag in a backpack now with different sleeping bag exterior fabrics like Pertex Y-Fuse etc. Thats not even counting backpack fabrics.

as you said the down scare is really over stated, I do like synthetic in sept/oct because thats when I seem to talk my self out of rain pants and I always get wet and its easier to dry out pants at night with synthetic, at same point i've done same with down though.

down or no down is a toss up but whats not is a comfortable bag and pad so you can get proper rest. My advice to anyone counting ounces is spend ounces in a sleeping pad and make it up on down bag or quilt.

Comment

Working...
                                X