• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
    Scratch that. 19lbs no wood or water
    You are a tough son of a gun if you're toting in your own firewood. LOL

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

I'm currently at the Denver airport after a two day test hike to our hunting area. Here's a random summary:

Hike in was 12.5 miles, with 3262 net elevation gain to 10,600'. The first 8 miles was relatively easy, with a gain of only ~1300'. The last 4 with ~2k' gain was grueling. I don't know my pack weight, but I'm guessing about 50 lbs, plus an additional 6 liters of water over the 4 miles up the mountain.

I carried gear on this trip that I won't bring on the hunt (spotter, drone, extra camcorder.) and my hunting clothes are at the embroiderer getting TBH treatment. My gear weight will vary accordingly. There was water up top, so I won't carry in as much water. Of course, I'll have my bow to make up much of the difference.

The Kifaru Cavern with Native as guide lid worked fine, but I have to make sure not to overload the Native or it adds too much weight to the front of the pack. I wish the Cavern had a designated pouch for a water bladder. It's hard to put the bladder in the pack with it fully loaded, and it's also difficult to put between pack and frame (and slip top cover back over frame stays.) The Native has a bladder pouch, but as mentioned it adds too much weight to the front of the pack when run as a lid.

My primary goal was to complete the trip and determine if my sickness last spring was altitude or dehydration. I stayed hydrated and hiked a total of 24 miles and camped at >10,600' without any issues.

I had some knee pain (inflammation) on the hike back out. I never have knee pain.

Considering the lack of rain, the mountain was like a jungle!

There were lots of blackberries.
      Can anybody identify the red and blue varieties?

The sleep system worked fine - except - I couldn't find a flat spot to pitch the tarp. I found the flattest spot I could and set up with my head uphill. There wasn't really much of an
      Incline, but the tyvek,sleeping pad, quilt and apparently my body are all pretty slippery and I slid down all night. I had to put my pack at my feet to keep from sliding out the door! LOL! I had decided to not bring a hammock on the hunt, but if we're camping on this peak, I may have to rethink my sleeping options. A hammock would have worked much better in this situation.

It poured rain Saturday morning. I stayed completely dry under the tarp (as did my gear.)

I saw a bear (I got better video than stills) and a couple of grouse, but I didn't see any elk (it rained from 5:30 until 10 am Saturday morning,
      so I missed a prime scouting time sitting under my tarp.)

I hiked 23.89 miles over 32 hours. Other than the knee (and elbow where I took a pretty good spill), I feel pretty good physically, but I think Adam will far outpace me up the mountain. At this point, it is what it is.

The firearm security check at Denver airport is horrible. Allow an extra 30+ minutes of you're flying out with a firearm.

More random pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        Awesome buck man. Nevada is high on my list over the next few years with 5 deer points.

My boots came in from Scandinavian outdoors. Took about 2 weeks. They fit perfect and I got a heck of a deal.

Those look hideous! LOL!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Congrats Chris!!! Awesome buck....You are the muley king!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I'm currently at the Denver airport after a two day test hike to our hunting area. Here's a random summary:

Hike in was 12.5 miles, with 3262 net elevation gain to 10,600'. The first 8 miles was relatively easy, with a gain of only ~1300'. The last 4 with ~2k' gain was grueling. I don't know my pack weight, but I'm guessing about 50 lbs, plus an additional 6 liters of water over the 4 miles up the mountain.

I carried gear on this trip that I won't bring on the hunt (spotter, drone, extra camcorder.) and my hunting clothes are at the embroiderer getting TBH treatment. My gear weight will vary accordingly. There was water up top, so I won't carry in as much water. Of course, I'll have my bow to make up much of the difference.

The Kifaru Cavern with Native as guide lid worked fine, but I have to make sure not to overload the Native or it adds too much weight to the front of the pack. I wish the Cavern had a designated pouch for a water bladder. It's hard to put the bladder in the pack with it fully loaded, and it's also difficult to put between pack and frame (and slip top cover back over frame stays.) The Native has a bladder pouch, but as mentioned it adds too much weight to the front of the pack when run as a lid.

My primary goal was to complete the trip and determine if my sickness last spring was altitude or dehydration. I stayed hydrated and hiked a total of 24 miles and camped at >10,600' without any issues.

I had some knee pain (inflammation) on the hike back out. I never have knee pain.

Considering the lack of rain, the mountain was like a jungle!

There were lots of blackberries.
            Can anybody identify the red and blue varieties?

The sleep system worked fine - except - I couldn't find a flat spot to pitch the tarp. I found the flattest spot I could and set up with my head uphill. There wasn't really much of an
            Incline, but the tyvek,sleeping pad, quilt and apparently my body are all pretty slippery and I slid down all night. I had to put my pack at my feet to keep from sliding out the door! LOL! I had decided to not bring a hammock on the hunt, but if we're camping on this peak, I may have to rethink my sleeping options. A hammock would have worked much better in this situation.

It poured rain Saturday morning. I stayed completely dry under the tarp (as did my gear.)

I saw a bear (I got better video than stills) and a couple of grouse, but I didn't see any elk (it rained from 5:30 until 10 am Saturday morning,
            so I missed a prime scouting time sitting under my tarp.)

I hiked 23.89 miles over 32 hours. Other than the knee (and elbow where I took a pretty good spill), I feel pretty good physically, but I think Adam will far outpace me up the mountain. At this point, it is what it is.

The firearm security check at Denver airport is horrible. Allow an extra 30+ minutes of you're flying out with a firearm.

More random pics

Your gonna hate life if you kill a bull that deep

Comment

Yep. I'm willing to risk it!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Yep. I'm willing to risk it!

Why God gave us an inreach. Phone a friend or kept 4 crisp bills in your bino pouch

Comment

Awesome buck man. Nevada is high on my list over the next few years with 5 deer points.

My boots came in from Scandinavian outdoors. Took about 2 weeks. They fit perfect and I got a heck of a deal.

how is the width?

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    Why God gave us an inreach. Phone a friend or kept 4 crisp bills in your bino pouch

LOL! I made a friend on the last trip and my brother knows some locals in the area. I'll make sure they're on the "quick message" list on the Inreach!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Coming out is the easy part. It's all downhill

The bulls back there for an OTC unit are worth it

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                        Coming out is the easy part.
                        This statement, when taken out of context, could make a lesser hunting partner nervous!

I just weighed my gear that I took on this trip (pack, optics, poles, etc.) and it was 54.5# (not including the food I consumed or threw away before my flight home). I also carried 6 liters of water up the last 4 miles, so that would be another 13ish lbs, for close to 68# total gear weight.

As mentioned above, that may not represent my total pack weight for my hunt as I will remove items like spotter, drone and batteries/charger and I imagine my FL clothing is lighter than the jacket/vest/shorts/etc. that I took for this one, but I will also be adding in weight from bow, kill kit and a few other items that I didn't take this time. Of course, removing 8-10 lbs of water should make a significant difference.

When I get my FL gear back from the embroiderer this week, I will do a load out and get a true estimate of what I'm likely to be dealing with (or decide which items to eliminate!)
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Got a nice workout in this afternoon. 85 lb. pack up and down the same hill for an hour and a half for 800' of elevation gain in 101 degrees. Fun fun.

Back to gear and a weight savings tip.....

If you're like me and take a pack of wet wipes into the back country, take them all out of the package and let them dry out at home. They will pack down a little smaller and will be lighter for your hike in if you pack them dry. Once you get to your destination/water source, you can add water to the pack and be ready to rock

Comment

I’ve been watching this thread for a while and finally decided to put my gear list on here. I rarely post so if I miss something please let me know. I am stationed is Spokane Washington and will be hunting Metaline Falls area this year as they have a healthy bear population. We went up 2 weeks ago scouting and here is what I took with me for gear.

Tent: Catoma Armadillo
                            Pack: Mystery Ranch 6500
                            Sleeping bag: Snugpak Special Forces 1
                            Sleeping Pad: Klymit Insulated Static V
                            Pillow: Klymit Pillow X
                            Boots: Lowas
                            Food: Tuna, sardines, crackers, and Mountain House

I’m sure there are some things I’m forgetting but if anyone has any questions just ask!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	24550622Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2998.jpg
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	24550623Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3001.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	24550624

Comment

Doing my training in Norway this week. Run/hike starts at sea level and I cross cross a hill with a few hundred feet elevation multiple times. Even though I’ve been a madman on the step mill and high-incline treadmill, the lack of any real hills in Houston is evident in my glutes after just 2 days of working out here. (10+ hours of air travel doesn’t help either)

Comment

Hopefully day hunting out of spike camp

Pack: Mystery Ranch Mule
                                Boots: Altra Lone Peak 3.5

If I have to Bivy

Pack: Sjk Bounty 2.0
                                Shelter: Henry Shires Stratosphire 1
                                Quilt: JRB Hudson bay quilt
                                Pad: Big Agnes Insulated Q core

Comment

Working...