Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
    Took my 70 lb. pack off after my hike this morning and set it down not so gently at just the wrong angle. Heard a nice crunch as one of the rods in my frame splintered

Talked to Kurt over at Stone Glacier and he's gonna get me squared away. Luckily I'm still about a month out

Better get it squared away...I don't want to have to carry your gear!
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Better get a Kifaru! Ha ha ha ha Sorry, I had to.

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
      Took my 70 lb. pack off after my hike this morning and set it down not so gently at just the wrong angle. Heard a nice crunch as one of the rods in my frame splintered

Talked to Kurt over at Stone Glacier and he's gonna get me squared away. Luckily I'm still about a month out

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Better get it squared away...I don't want to have to carry your gear!
        You're gonna have to carry my gear. My pack is gonna be full of meat and the head of a 6x6 seabiscuit

Comment

Spaghetti is the best mountain house I've found. I could eat it every night.

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
          Got my food for 4 days packed up. I’ll be out for 5 so here’s to hoping i catch some fish or kill something 🤞

How do those off the grid meals compare to mountain house?

Comment

Chicken teriyaki is my favorite. Haven't really had a bad one yet but at the end of the days hunt I ain't that picky

Comment

Subbing this thread because I'm a gear junkie. Maybe if I get my fix here I won't buy so much ****!

Comment

Originally posted by NoFence View Post
                Spaghetti is the best mountain house I've found. I could eat it every night.

How do those off the grid meals compare to mountain house?

I just picked up the breakfast oatmeal and a couple of the trail mix. Both were pretty good

Comment

With as much gear as y'all are taking, I'd get several numbers of local outfitters with pack as animals......in case y'all kill something.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                    drinksmartwater.com
                    Look for the most expensive water bottle sold at the gas station.
                    You guys that use the smart water bottles. How do you keep them for quick access?

I ask because I carry nalgene's only because they can clip anywhere easily and are always accessible. With a smart water bottle, it's gotta be tucked away somewhere. I am not opposed to smart water bottles, but I find I don't drink enough water if it's a pain to get to my water.

Comment

I’m just going to toss my bottle in my Exo lid. I’ll be drinking out of a bladder mostly and only using the bottle for drink mixes.

Comment

Got the hydration lid and accessory pocket in the other day for my SG 5900. Pretty satisfied with this new (to me) set up. Been hand sharpening my Magnus Snuffer SS broadheads with newly acquired EZE-LAP Diamond stone. Also picked up some Instafire Granulated Fire Starter. That stuff works pretty well. Hopefully, it won't be too dry to try it out.

At this point, I need to focus on food. I'll be packing Mountain House again this year, but not looking forward to the horrendous gas it gives me. I tried the almond butter last year, but was not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          You guys that use the smart water bottles. How do you keep them for quick access?

I ask because I carry nalgene's only because they can clip anywhere easily and are always accessible. With a smart water bottle, it's gotta be tucked away somewhere. I am not opposed to smart water bottles, but I find I don't drink enough water if it's a pain to get to my water.
                          I hiked with a Osprey Exos (58L). More than likely it’s too small of a pack for backcountry hunting . But it had a very convenient side pouch that enabled one to access a water bottle ... you didn’t even have to stop liking to take a drink. I am not sure if their bigger packs have the same pocket ?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

I'm still trying to decide between Nalgene and SW bottle. I have a Kifaru Nalgene bottle pouch on my belt to keep whichever accessible. I tried going with just the bladder with inline filter and found that it was too much "work" and I didn't drink it. I'm with you on not consuming enough if it's not easily accessible.

A simple paracord loop around the neck of the bottle for the clip would solve your issue if you wanted to go the SW route.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Before I forget. Since we are are on the subject of meals . I had the opportunity to experiment with a lot of different things on my AT hike. One day a group of trail angels were handing out dehydrated meals I believe they were the Back Country brand? It was not a Mountainhouse meal. Anyway she convinced me to take the scrambled eggs . I took it in a day or so later a fellow hiker and I attempted to cook these in his little titanium frying pan . I’m not sure whatever happened to that fellow hiker but I bet he still trying to clean all the eggs out of his cute little frying pan . It was a disaster and the eggs tasted a little bit like cardboard other than that there was no taste it would’ve been better to eat leaves . I would not recommend.

I do recommend those little packs of pepperoni for midday protein . If you take a pouch out for four or five days they will keep fine especially in cooler temps. Also don’t discount a half a roll of salami or pepperoni and a wedge of cheese . Makes for a great lunch and trust me the cheese will last .

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                                Before I forget. Since we are are on the subject of meals . I had the opportunity to experiment with a lot of different things on my AT hike. One day a group of trail angels were handing out dehydrated meals I believe they were the Back Country brand? It was not a Mountainhouse meal. Anyway she convinced me to take the scrambled eggs . I took it in a day or so later a fellow hiker and I attempted to cook these in his little titanium frying pan . I’m not sure whatever happened to that fellow hiker but I bet he still trying to clean all the eggs out of his cute little frying pan . It was a disaster and the eggs tasted a little bit like cardboard other than that there was no taste it would’ve been better to eat leaves . I would not recommend.

I do recommend those little packs of pepperoni for midday protein . If you take a pouch out for four or five days they will keep fine especially in cooler temps. Also don’t discount a half a roll of salami or pepperoni and a wedge of cheese . Makes for a great lunch and trust me the cheese will last .

Mountain House Scrambles with a tortilla are bad arse!!! Not sure why he was trying to cook dehydrated meals in a pan???? To each their own, just make darn sure to take things you will eat.

I know I can go stove less and be light, but I’ve found that after I’ve chased elk across blow downs, side hilled and pounded out several miles I won’t eat unless I’m very interested in what is for dinner. People talk trash about them, but them there Mountain Houses are mighty good when you are tired and the cold is coming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X