No announcement yet.

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my food for 4 days packed up. I’ll be out for 5 so here’s to hoping i catch some fish or kill something 🤞

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      I don’t blame you, that’s hell of a deal.

I’m curious to see how narrow the last is. I love hanwag because in wide boots they don’t increase the heel pocket, just the forefoot. Yukon’s have been resoled once already.

I’ve been running wide lowas but honestly I don’t think i need wide. I’ve never tried these boots on. I am just gambling that they are the right size. I have been running 11w lowas and they are a little big. So hopefully these in a US 11 will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        I’ve been running wide lowas but honestly I don’t think i need wide. I’ve never tried these boots on. I am just gambling that they are the right size. I have been running 11w lowas and they are a little big. So hopefully these in a US 11 will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        My Yukon’s are wide and chillkat are regular. The chillkat gets a little tight when feet swell but I’ve trimmed my aftermarket insoles In problem areas and that’s helped a lot.

Lowa is my second favorite last out side of the cervedales(those where just way to narrow).

My biggest problems is finding a stiff enough boot that’s not on a narrow technical last and/or has huge heel pocket. Thus why I’m looking forward to your feedback on the Makra’s.

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
          Got my food for 4 days packed up. I’ll be out for 5 so here’s to hoping i catch some fish or kill something 🤞

Are you cooking the Mountain House meals in a pot or do you intend to boil water and cook it in the bag? Reason why I ask, if you cook in a pot you can break the meals down out of the bag and carry in a lighter zip-loc. Also, consider adding a 1/4 or 1/2 bag of Knorr’s Pasta Side in with Mountain House meal for added dinner bulk. Knorr’s has a stroganoff that works good with several Mountain House meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
            Are you cooking the Mountain House meals in a pot or do you intend to boil water and cook it in the bag? Reason why I ask, if you cook in a pot you can break the meals down out of the bag and carry in a lighter zip-loc. Also, consider adding a 1/4 or 1/2 bag of Knorr’s Pasta Side in with Mountain House meal for added dinner bulk. Knorr’s has a stroganoff that works good with several Mountain House meals.

Thanks for the tip! I have a jet boil flash so was planning on boiling water and pouring into the bag. But I’m all about saving weight where possible. This is my first go with mountain house so is it a separate ziploc inside the packaging or will I need to separate it myself? My buddy will have an msr pocket rocket and a pot we will share if need be

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I have a jet boil flash so was planning on boiling water and pouring into the bag. But I’m all about saving weight where possible. This is my first go with mountain house so is it a separate ziploc inside the packaging or will I need to separate it myself? My buddy will have an msr pocket rocket and a pot we will share if need be
              I tried to get Mountain House meals whenever possible when I resupplied on AT (not always possible). I learned there was nothing nastier than packing out used Mountain House meal bags. Plus, if you break them down pre-trip you could not only add Pasta Sides to them, but also spices (pepper, garlic, etc.). Yes... you have to clean your pot (jet boil) but that’s really easy if you are camping near water. Also... Mountain House comes in single serving and double servings. If you are hunting all day and it is cold, double servings are the way to go. If you are not cooking in the Nountsin House bag you could hold some back if not that hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                I tried to get Mountain House meals whenever possible when I resupplied on AT (not always possible). I learned there was nothing nastier than packing out used Mountain House meal bags. Plus, if you break them down pre-trip you could not only add Pasta Sides to them, but also spices (pepper, garlic, etc.). Yes... you have to clean your pot (jet boil) but that’s really easy if you are camping near water. Also... Mountain House comes in single serving and double servings. If you are hunting all day and it is cold, double servings are the way to go. If you are not cooking in the Nountsin House bag you could hold some back if not that hungry.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.? What were you favorite flavors for the mountain house? I got Mac and cheese, chicken dumplings, beef stew and chicken teriyaki

Comment

Link to a smart water bottle that y'all are talking about? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Link to a smart water bottle that y'all are talking about? Thanks
                    drinksmartwater.com
                    Look for the most expensive water bottle sold at the gas station.
                    Last edited by Patton; 08-06-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up.? What were you favorite flavors for the mountain house? I got Mac and cheese, chicken dumplings, beef stew and chicken teriyaki

Beef stew and chili Mac. I thought they were all good. Variety is a good thing.

Comment

Ok. That makes sense. I googled smart water bottle and found one with Bluetooth and speakers
                        Last edited by Chew; 08-06-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                          drinksmartwater.com
                          Look for the most expensive water bottle sold at the gas station.

Lol, they are prettywater bottles.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0B3587AE-DAE9-4A99-A34B-1FC3A513C333.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	24547846

They look like this (upper right corner).

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Ok. That makes sense. I googled smart water bottle and found one with Bluetooth and speakers
                              It's a smartwater bottle, not a smart water-bottle

Regarding the mountain house, don't get lasagna. I was trying out some meals and the lasagna is tasty but nearly impossible to clean the cheese off your spoon.
                              What are y'all doing for lunches/snacks? I'm thinking 2 Pro Bars for lunch, and then an afternoon snack of Justin's or FBomb nut butter and a honey stinger. Might throw in some jerky and dried fruits as well.

Comment

Took my 70 lb. pack off after my hike this morning and set it down not so gently at just the wrong angle. Heard a nice crunch as one of the rods in my frame splintered

Talked to Kurt over at Stone Glacier and he's gonna get me squared away. Luckily I'm still about a month out

Comment

Working...
                                X