Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always welded a discatta and bought a stand and propane tank. Brought food to cook on it and leave it all as a gift when I leave. I usually like just hanging out but if they have water and it’s waterfowl season I always ask about duck hunting if available. I also always bring an ultralight and catch pond fish

Comment

I fly up and go fish with buddies every year. We end up driving their trucks and using their boats and cooking equipment. I try and pay for more than an my share and rotate to give them nice gifts they could, but choose not to buy themselves (custom knife, nice rod/reel, etc.).

I also try and bring a premium bottle of whiskey and a few top notch cigars.

Lastly I say thank you after I get home and tell them I appreciate the hospitality.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
        I would bring GOOD steaks and all the other food and drinks.
        10 gallons of gas, my own sleeping bag and some corn. Do all the cooking and cleaning and not expect to shoot a deer. Hogs and doves? Yes, my limit

No, you are not being picky.
        For sure. I was invited to a 2-spot lease many years back and I showed up with 250 lbs of corn and about a half-truckload of firewood. Next year I was on the lease and the "bag of corn a month" guy was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I've been known to bring steaks, BBQ, beer, whiskey, gifts, etc etc as a guest.

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...
          All I ask is for some Summer sausage sweety pie! My other hot killer man never brings me any.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
            All I ask is for some Summer sausage sweety pie! My other hot killer man never brings me any.
            Oh I’ll give you some sausage alright!!! German sausage.

Comment

Good bourbon and good steaks, and a personal gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I always bring extra beer/whiskey, usually provide at least 1 meal, and never show up without tools and work clothes. Don't create work for someone else, ie pick up after yourself. If we're fixing fence, I fix the most fence. If we're filling feeders, I haul the most corn. Etc

Antelope, and nilgai invites call for a little extra...Brute Cooler, Disc Cooker, good Scotch, etc...
                I saw what you did there. pretty slick.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Oh I’ll give you some sausage alright!!! German sausage.

lmao!!....I can do hunters sticks Puddin'.. Haven't made summer sausage in several years.

Comment

For most of my life, I have been on the invitee system. I volunteer to cook, and I can tell you that gumbo and crawfish etoufee has gotten me invited back to a bunch of places. Cleaning dishes, doing work, etc. I once unloaded 4 pallets of corn from a panel truck into a shipping container by myself in September in South Texas.

Really, don't be lazy and don't wait until you are asked.

And, pay it forward. I still get invited back to a place where I started a little prairie fire and got very, very lucky I didn't burn the hole place down including the house.

Now that I am on a lease, I like taking people, but the ones that get invited back the most are the ones that are less work for me.

One guy in particular that I used to work with has become a close friend because of how easy he is to go make the lease trip with. He had a standing invitation to come with me anytime and would usually make 3-4 trips per year. Even better, a spot opened up last year and he is a lease member now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      Oh I’ll give you some sausage alright!!! Vienna sausage.
                      FIFY

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      lmao!!....I can do hunters sticks Puddin'.. Haven't made summer sausage in several years.
                      Thanks Cupcake. I appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                        My standard show of thanks is ...

1) I drive the owner the 3.5 hours to the ranch.
                        2) I plan, bring, prepare all food for lunch and dinner (steaks) for all.
                        3) I bring an evening snack for all (cheese / meat tray, etc)
                        4) I bring a cooler of beer, water, gatoraid for all.
                        5) I pay a portion of the ranch house maid fee.
                        6) Field dress all animals for owner.
                        7) Quarter and cooler-prep anything not going to a processor.
                        8) Expect to do a few hours of labor (grass cutting)
                        9) Bring 4 bags of corn to bait (over and above current feeders in place).
                        10) Trash bag and general floor sweeping duty.
                        11) Take owners gun and confirm zero the week before the hunt. (not really an avid hunter)
                        12) Spot shoot does, spikes, and low end culls only. (and hogs/turkey)
                        13) Bring/prepare gear/tackle for any other planned events (fishing stock ponds, night shooting rabbit/predators)
                        14) Buy lunch during the drives, food if in town, etc.
                        15) Never over drink and be the guy setting the coffee pot in the morning.

This is in no way a complaint. I am honored to be invited onto a property 2-3 times per year that one could easily tag out any given weekend.

As a previous boat owner, I understand the cost of ownership. By extension I understand the running cost of such a place and what a 3 night hunt that you shoot 3 deer, 4 hogs, 2 turkey, 20 rabbit, catch largemouth bass and stay in an air conditioned lodge would cost. It is far less than the $4-500 bucks that I put out.

After years of having to ask someone to put down their beer to grab a rope when we got to a marina, so I could buy us beer..... I try to be better.

If I ever become a ranch owner, you are the first one I'm going to invite out!

Nicely done sir.....

Comment

I have only been lucky enough to be invited a few times. My standard has always been to buy all the food and do the cooking. Any work that needs to be done I jump in to do it. On one invite my buddy and I bought the ranch owner a Lifetime BBQ Pit, and on the other we bought the owner a 600# stand and fill feeder. We have been lucky enough to get invited back several times. I find it hard to believe that people have expectations as a guest, and or make demands. I'm just glad to be there.

Comment

Good to hear everyone here is a good guest ......at least in their own mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                              Good to hear everyone here is a good guest ......at least in their own mind!
                              I like that Kdog. I have had a few down at my place that fit that category.

Comment

Working...
                              X