No announcement yet.

Chainsaw sharpener advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought an electric one from amazon and it works well. At $40 it pays for itself immediately. Hand filling works if you can file both sets of teeth consistently. I would inevitably take more metal off the teeth facing one direction, which would result in crooked cuts. Files are good for a light touch up but I prefer this machine. I have 4 chains that I rotate when cutting. When they all get dull I'll run them through the machine and am back in business.

Here's the sharpener:

Comment

I took the advice from the GS some time back and bought the one from Harbor Freight. Works great! Finally built me a stand for it.

Comment

For those with the harbor freight sharpener how do you file down the depth gauge? I tried with a file but I can't get it to grind down.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          sthil makes a handheld deal that's pretty neat. I don't own one but its got good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-EASY-CH...41867409&psc=1
          This right here is stupid easy and effective. Just make sure you get the correct one for your blade.

No guess work no skill required.

Comment

Another question for the harbor freight sharpener owners. Since the blade only goes one way and you don't turn the chain around does the side that gets sharpened when the blade is on a downward motion get just as sharp as the other side?

Comment

Originally posted by Oomkin View Post
              I've never bothered to sharpen chain saw blades. I always have new spare chain blades, just swap the old blade with a new blade, then throw away the old blade. I heard that if you sharpened the chain saw blades, you need to make sure that the angles are correct, otherwise there's an increased risk of 'kick back' occurring. I don't know how critical the angles are or how much increased risk there is of 'kick back' occurring.

I've worn out 3 cheap chainsaws over the past decade, so I broke down and spent about twice as much on a nice Stihl brand chainsaw. The Stihl brand is a huge upgrade from the cheap brand chainsaws.
              I'll take all your old blades if you are just throwing them away. I'm not scared to sharpen them.
              I just use a file.

Comment

Dremel works good for a quick touch-up if you get the diamond EZlap for it they work real well and last a lot longer

Comment

Just learn to file sharpen.. the biggest reason people think they can't do it is they aren't knocking the rakers down occasionally. Even strokes and follow the angle guide that is on every tooth.

Also, don't let the saw get super dull before sharpening. Just takes a few strokes to every tooth every now and then to keep it cutting.

Comment

Dremel FTW.
                    18" chain on my Echo takes maybe a full minute once I'm set up.

Comment

Chainsaw sharpener advice needed.

I just checked out that Harbor Freight doohickey and it is nuts! The reason I use an electric sharpener is for speed... that contraption looks like it would take longer than a hand file. No doubt it does, actually. Ain’t nobody got time for that!!
                      Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-03-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                        Just learn to file sharpen.. the biggest reason people think they can't do it is they aren't knocking the rakers down occasionally. Even strokes and follow the angle guide that is on every tooth.

Also, don't let the saw get super dull before sharpening. Just takes a few strokes to every tooth every now and then to keep it cutting.
                        Set up with the Dremel involves plugging it in and putting a 5/32” bit in it, maybe another full minute.

Comment

I keep 3 to 4 sharp chains and swap out as needed when I put the last one on the others go to the shop and I let someone do it for me. At 7 bucks a chain it’s worth it to me
                          Last edited by Austin; 07-03-2019, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            I am an Arborist and own a tree service here in Fort Bend Cty. I sharpen chains daily and use the above product exclusively. JUST BE SURE YOU USE THE CORRECT SIZE FOR YOUR APPLICATION. Also, you really should sharpen on a vise, whether with the chain alone or while still on the saw. Clean the files of metal shavings after each side is done.
                            I don't see anything about different sizes on the amazon link or the Stihl site. Where can you see the different sizes and what you would need?

Nvm. Think I found it
                            Last edited by JustinJ; 07-03-2019, 08:35 PM.

Comment

sthil makes a handheld deal that's pretty neat. I don't own one but its got good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-EASY-CH...41867409&psc=1
                              I'll prolly end up with one. Does both teeth at same time don't need electricity
                              Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                              I have a stihl job that I like a bunch.

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chai...ools/2in1file/
                              Originally posted by JES View Post
                              This, it’s gets everything At one time. It’s eays to pack along with you when you’re out in the field. Highly recommend.
                              Originally posted by Oomkin View Post
                              I've never bothered to sharpen chain saw blades. I always have new spare chain blades, just swap the old blade with a new blade, then throw away the old blade. I heard that if you sharpened the chain saw blades, you need to make sure that the angles are correct, otherwise there's an increased risk of 'kick back' occurring. I don't know how critical the angles are or how much increased risk there is of 'kick back' occurring.

I've worn out 3 cheap chainsaws over the past decade, so I broke down and spent about twice as much on a nice Stihl brand chainsaw. The Stihl brand is a huge upgrade from the cheap brand chainsaws.
                              Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              This is what I ended up with

Very easy to use, lightweight and fairly inexpensive

About 2 passes on each cutter every 3rd tank of fuel depending on what I am cutting on
                              Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
                              Another vote for this
                              Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                              This right here is stupid easy and effective. Just make sure you get the correct one for your blade.

No guess work no skill required.
                              What I found is Stihl actually private labels this one. The manufacturer is Pferd. You can buy the original manufacturer a little bit cheaper and I agree with everyone else it works great. I put my saw blade in a vice to use it which makes it easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X