Ever seen an albino rattlesnake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beararcher_84 View Post
    There is special licenses for that,and they are trying to get the round ups (like the big one is Sweetwater) banned. The gas they use to get the snakes outta the den,are causeing some ecological issues to other wildlife as well

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    They've been trying to ban the use of gasoline to get snakes out of dens in Texas for a while now. They already did in Oklahoma. As for shutting the roundups down completely I doubt that actually ever happens. A lot of these smaller towns that rely on the roundups would probably up and fade away without them. Anything that is a way to make money isn't going anywhere any time soon. Of course animal rights groups will always been there to try.

As for the special license I can see how that could be a loophole for someone that wants to keep snakes.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        They've been trying to ban the use of gasoline to get snakes out of dens in Texas for a while now. They already did in Oklahoma. As for shutting the roundups down completely I doubt that actually ever happens. A lot of these smaller towns that rely on the roundups would probably up and fade away without them. Anything that is a way to make money isn't going anywhere any time soon. Of course animal rights groups will always been there to try.

As for the special license I can see how that could be a loophole for someone that wants to keep snakes.
        It dose create loopholes and off course "laws" dont stop anyone from doing anything illegal. Im personally not a fan of them, dont think its fair to the snakes. But definitely a hard blow to small towns that depend on these roundups as a source of tourist income that 1 weekend a year,to support a large portion of the town

Comment

Its illegal to have a venomous snake in Texas without a herpatologist license. Those are ones studying them, milking venom to be used as antivenom, cuz shelf life on antivenom is very short

There is special licenses for that,and they are trying to get the round ups (like the big one is Sweetwater) banned. The gas they use to get the snakes outta the den,are causeing some ecological issues to other wildlife as well

So to stop people from pouring gas on the ground you outlaw rattlesnake roundups? This is what happens when you replace GW's with non-hunting LWL conservation officers. Why not just make it illegal to pour gas on the found and enforce that law.

So now its against the law to catch a rattlesnake crossing the ranch road, UFB!...

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
            So to stop people from pouring gas on the ground you outlaw rattlesnake roundups? This is what happens when you replace GW's with non-hunting LWL conservation officers. Why not just make it illegal to pour gas on the found and enforce that law.

So now its against the law to catch a rattlesnake crossing the ranch road, UFB!...
            Its not just the gasoline on the ground that thats the issue to snakes,but also people,other animals as well. It gets into the soil,soil in which we grow vegetables,deer,pronghorn antelope eat. It gets into the water that we drink and eat fish from. Plus the fact animal rights advocates are up in arms about the level of cruelty to snakes being extracted by "gasing" snakes out of their dens. Conservation practices are at the forefront of the new face of game wardens,dont really see that thats a negative. If we wanna grow the sport of hunting,fishing we must first conserve our resources and protect them so that animals will be around for our kids,kids and their kids as well

Comment

Its not just the gasoline on the ground that thats the issue to snakes,but also people,other animals as well. It gets into the soil,soil in which we grow vegetables,deer,pronghorn antelope eat. It gets into the water that we drink and eat fish from. Plus the fact animal rights advocates are up in arms about the level of cruelty to snakes being extracted by "gasing" snakes out of their dens. Conservation practices are at the forefront of the new face of game wardens,dont really see that thats a negative. If we wanna grow the sport of hunting,fishing we must first conserve our resources and protect them so that animals will be around for our kids,kids and their kids as well

Ho-lee crap.... have you seen the quantity of chemical we pour on the ground in order to grow those vegetables that the deer and antelope eat?

I assure you a gallon of gas down a rocky crag to evict a passel of snakes ain’t nothing compared to the chemical fert, & herbicide we intentionally douse them with.

Step back man... that sounds a bunch like emotional based info influencing common sense laws that already exist that allow us to both protect predators and prey.

Comment

I'd sheet myself!

Comment

Saw that in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram posting on Facebook. One comment was "ahh man...now a brother ain't even safe on the cement."

I'd love to have one for a pet.
                  Last edited by Geezy Rider; 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I don't have any experience with gassing dens. Roundups in Oklahoma will turn people away if they suspect that the snakes were gassed. I have buddies in Texas that do it and they go to the same dens every year. They don't spray straight gas in there,it's more or less just fumes.

As for the cruelty of roundups, I think a lot of it is over hyped in the media. Of course I can't speak for every one but the ones I attend or have attended in the past aren't any more cruel than any feedlot or hog barn you could walk into. Snakes are sometimes donated to another roundup just so they can put on a good show for people that come to look at them. There is certainly not a shortage of snakes and a lot of guys that I know that hunt them for sport are very selective about which snakes they take from their dens. Some of these guys are taking snakes from dens their father and grandfather took snakes out of years and years ago. If they're hunting on land where they're instructed to take every snake they find they will. At the end of the roundups the smaller snakes are generally taken back by whoever brought them and returned to the wild. That's not something any animal rights group would want to hear or want the public to hear but having been a part of these events I'll tell you that's how it is. I have more respect and enjoy seeing snakes in the wild more than your average person. But I also believe their numbers need to be controlled just like anything else. If the rattlesnake roundups I attend were blatantly disrespectful and cruel to these animals I wouldn't be a part of it in any way. But that's just not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      I don't have any experience with gassing dens. Roundups in Oklahoma will turn people away if they suspect that the snakes were gassed. I have buddies in Texas that do it and they go to the same dens every year. They don't spray straight gas in there,it's more or less just fumes.

As for the cruelty of roundups, I think a lot of it is over hyped in the media. Of course I can't speak for every one but the ones I attend or have attended in the past aren't any more cruel than any feedlot or hog barn you could walk into. Snakes are sometimes donated to another roundup just so they can put on a good show for people that come to look at them. There is certainly not a shortage of snakes and a lot of guys that I know that hunt them for sport are very selective about which snakes they take from their dens. Some of these guys are taking snakes from dens their father and grandfather took snakes out of years and years ago. If they're hunting on land where they're instructed to take every snake they find they will. At the end of the roundups the smaller snakes are generally taken back by whoever brought them and returned to the wild. That's not something any animal rights group would want to hear or want the public to hear but having been a part of these events I'll tell you that's how it is. I have more respect and enjoy seeing snakes in the wild more than your average person. But I also believe their numbers need to be controlled just like anything else. If the rattlesnake roundups I attend were blatantly disrespectful and cruel to these animals I wouldn't be a part of it in any way. But that's just not the case.
                      I see your points for sure

Comment

Dallas Zoo used to have a very large albino diamondback rattler. Dallas zoo is one of the world's largest venomous snake breeders in the world to help supply the anti venom industry. The snakes they have on display is a tiny portion of the snakes they have there. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...to-the-rescue/
                        Last edited by muzzlebrake; 07-16-2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

No gas is poured on or into the ground. A pump up sprayer is used that either has the inside tube removed or the sprayer is held upside down so that only fumes come out of the sprayer, no liquid gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                            Who in the world would have one of those as a pet
                            I had one about 20 yrs ago, they are pretty cool critters.

Comment

Working...
                            X