Soft shell turtle - Good to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
    My uncle had a seafood place under the bridge right by McDermott yard.

The best way to have it is Turtle Sauce Piquant. It’s more like a crawfish etouffee than a gumbo.
    Ats what I'm talkin bout . . Piquant . .

Comment

Originally posted by bruschu View Post
      Carve out meat and then make turtle soup following Brennan's recipe: http://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/.

I like to grind it versus cubing.

This is my favorite! Turtle sauce picaunt is second!![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
        This is my favorite! Turtle sauce picaunt is second!![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Put out a couple of turtle lines tomorrow . . I'll come eat with you . .

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
          Heck yeah its good. It sales for about $18 per lb. around here.
          If you really want to know how to cook ask this guy. He does it for a living in La..
          And, in an area if you suck you go out of business fast.

Comment

I ain't believin' Cajun Blake ain't chimed in on this thread and with pics!! C'mon Blake, whur u at?!

Comment

I like them, back in Oklahoma we would catch some on trot lines and we would clean the big ones. Not hard to clean we would keep the legs and neck. We fried them and you may have heard that turtle has seven different flavors of meat. I think they are referring to the soft shell turtles. I think it’s a little like a cross between frog legs and chicken. We used to catch some big ones over 2 feet in diameter. And if I ever catch one down here that big I’m going to clean it and cook it up.

Comment

They're tough suckers I do know that. I walked up on one that was laying up on the edge of the creek once and shot it several times before and after it slid off into the water. I don't remember how many shots I put in its shell with my buddies .22 pistol but it was a couple anyway. I had to be quick about it because it wasn't waiting around to get back in the water.

A few days later my friends went back down there fishin and found that big ol' turtle laying up on the bank dead. By then it wasn't no good to eat. When you shoot one of those son of a guns you better hit it good or he'll be under the water in a hurry.

Lookin back on it now that really was a big turtle. I'd have thought a .22 would kill it right off though. I needed me a dadgum .410 or somethin.
                Last edited by okrattler; 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Yep. Boil in Dr. Pepper

Skinny

Comment

I got some family that eats them all the time in Louisiana. I never cooked them but if there cooked right there awesome

Comment

Working...
                    X