Mow or Shred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mow or Shred

I have about 10-12 acres of native grass/weeds to knock down (I usually mow it 1 or 2 times a year). My equipment options are:
    1. MF 245 (45 hp) tractor (1974 model) with 6' shredder.
    2. Hustler 54" Raptor SD.
    The tractor is (obviously) not particularly nimble (with front end loader) and I can't get up under trees, etc. The shredder knocks stuff down, but doesn't give a great cut.
    Even though cutting a slightly smaller swath, the Hustler will probably get the job done quicker (quicker turns, no backing up to re-position, etc.). On the highest setting, it will probably cut at the same level as the shredder would.
    I bought the Hustler 2 years ago and use it around the house and the 2 acres up front 2 or 3 times a year. I have put less than 40 hours on it so far.
    Because of the set up hassles of attaching the shredder, blah, blah, blah - I'd rather use the Hustler. However, I don't want to put too much wear and tear on it or age it too quickly. The Raptor SD is pretty heavy duty and borderline 'commercial'.
    Which piece of equipment should I use?

How tall is the area to be mowed?

Comment

id shred what I could and finish with the mower

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
        How tall is the area to be mowed?
        Probably 1-1.5' in most places.

Comment

That's pretty tall for a zero turn.

guy about had a good idea

Comment

If your shredder just "knocks stuff down" you need to sharpen or replace your blades. Mine mows like a lawnmower.

Comment

buy a finish mower for the tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                Yup

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  If your shredder just "knocks stuff down" you need to sharpen or replace your blades. Mine mows like a lawnmower.

winner winner chicken dinner

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                    buy a finish mower for the tractor.
                    Not one of the options.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      Would love to - have tried many times to get them off and I've given up on it.

Comment

Your mower wasn't built for that type of work. My brother has destroyed his doing exactly what you're proposing and can't figure out why.

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                        You don't have to take them off to sharpen them, unless you've got a shredder unlike any I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                          Jack it up, block it and crawl under with your grinder. Or raise with a front end loader, block it, and crawl under.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                            This exactly. 10-12 acres is a bunch of work for a zero, especially if there's any height to it at all. I personally would not work my zero that hard. Tractor and shredder are more designed for that, IMO.

Comment

Spray the weeds then cut and bale it!

Comment

Working...
                              X