Eco Boost or 5.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    Just bought a 2017 today with 68k miles on it. Hope I have your luck! I liked the 5.0 and was surprised at the hwy mileage. Coming from a 2008 sequioa that gets 13 city and 14 hwy.
    I did replace the solenoid vale body in the transmission right after my post. Well worth it. Drives and shifts great now with 251,000. If I could find a another Lariat with under 100,000 I’d buy it!

Comment

Ecoboost

Comment

Got 18.5 mpg in my first road trip in my 2017 5.0. Not bad at all. Big upgrade for me! Man I love the sound of the 5.0.

Comment

3.0 power stroke in the f150 is a nice little motor that’s reliable and has good power

Comment

I have a 2018 F 150, 4wd, 5.0 v8. My business partner has a 2018 F 150, 4wd, ecoboost

I get 19.8 mpg, he gets 18.1 mpg

None of you have addressed the REAL problem with both of these engines............HARD START !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes it starts up like there is absolutely no oil in the engine.........DRY

It's a $6,000.00 fix,...and Ford still can't guarantee it won't happen again

I'd like for you Ford techs to giive us your insight on this problem

Comment

Originally posted by RonRon View Post
              I have a 2018 F 150, 4wd, 5.0 v8. My business partner has a 2018 F 150, 4wd, ecoboost

I get 19.8 mpg, he gets 18.1 mpg

None of you have addressed the REAL problem with both of these engines............HARD START !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes it starts up like there is absolutely no oil in the engine.........DRY

It's a $6,000.00 fix,...and Ford still can't guarantee it won't happen again

I'd like for you Ford techs to giive us your insight on this problem
              Ford sent owners notice that they would replace the Phaser. They claim that is the source of the issue you speak of.

I'm hesitant on having them work on my '19, but if I don't accept the offer they can get out of the warranty for problems related in the future. I plan to schedule soon.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
                The only reason for turbos is the engine was not big enough to begin with.
                Lol, so why does every modern diesel motor have one? Why not put a Turbo on a larger V8?

Comment

I think there's two reasons.

Those of us old enough to remember diesel trucks without turbos know full well why every big truck, tractor, pump or generator motor has a turbo. No power without it

It would cut into the f250 diesel market and a turbo 5.0 would make enough power that people would severely overload the capability of a light weight half ton truck. JMHO.

I havd a 15 with the 2.7, 170k and love it. Had a leaky oil pan changed in warranty which is a known issue and no other problems. I occasionally pull a trailer but drive a lot of highway and two lane back roads. It's quick and I like it.

Thinking of a new one this year. I'd like to drive a tremor. The 3.5 with 373s should be stout.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Slick8; 01-07-2022, 05:39 PM.

Comment

We have replaced two transmissions under 85k and two engines under 80k. All 2019 f150 eco
                    Boost. One of the transmissions was in my truck. I get under 14 miles a gallon but I have a very heavy foot . I lost coil pack around 65k . I am around 119k right now.

Comment

I had a ‘11 ecoboost and sold it a few years back with 165,000 clocked miles. Never had an issue. I would have stayed with the ecoboost but I had to go the diesel route for towing

Comment

Well figured out the hard way that the 2017 is easy to run out of gas. Said 27 miles to empty and parked in my driveway on an incline (nose down) and it would start this morning! Apparently this is a known issue as well reading on the ford forums. Now I know!

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                          We have a bunch of 5.0 in our fleet. Almost every one needed a new intake manifold. I guess they crack or something. 2 tundras in the fleet no issues besides a fan belt in about 500k miles combined
                          I just had to replace the intake manifold on my 2016 5.0, but that’s the first major repair at 187k miles.

Comment

Working...
                          X