2018/19 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
    It sounds like you’re in their Summer pattern. Bet your cams get active again late Dec/Jan with bucks you hadn’t seen since early bow season. It’s like our bucks shuffle once prerut hits.

It’s like that every year. I either have to kill something early in season or late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful deer ghost !

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        This.

I take limiting noise in and around the woods SERIOUS this part of the year. Two of my sets are easily accessible from camp. However, I elect to drive 1.5 miles around the perimeter to get to them. I only mess with the camera or feed them on sunday afternoon, once every 2 weeks and even then I idle in and walk the last 100 yards or so
        This, I am still seeing LOADS of deer, but I usually only hunt when the wind is good, I walk 400-500 yards into the stand site, and never run a white light in the darkness.

I have noticed a few semi mature bucks feeding together again. They are ‘tolerating’ each other. At the same time, I am watching other bucks bird dogging does. Weird time of the year for sure.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-19-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
          Nice deer. You get him with your bow?

It was my last hunt for at least 3 weeks so I brought my savage .308 , got him right at 160ish

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            It was a shooter. I'm hunting a particular deer. The older I get Charlie the more I become a gatherer.

You sound like me. I can’t count the number of ‘shooters’ I have passed this year in hopes of catching up with one of two old monarchs. Unfortunately, one of them fell to one of my hunting partners (fortunate for him) last week.

Comment

[QUOTE=Greenheadless;13798455]This, I am still seeing LOADS of deer, but I usually only hunt when the wind is good, I walk 400-500 yards into the stand site, and never run a white light in the darkness.

THIS ^

Comment

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	F735055E-7A80-4085-9AFB-7170887B0D5C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	24560472[/ATTACH]
                Me and my son got it done yesterday morning. Pretty special shooting one with my boy in the stand with me, high fives and fist pumps at 6:40 yesterday morning
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                  [ATTACH][ATTACH]934386[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
                  Me and my son got it done yesterday morning. Pretty special shooting one with my boy in the stand with me, high fives and fist pumps at 6:40 yesterday morning

Congrats on the deer and special moments!

Comment

Mr FlakeKiller, you should have shot that deer. STUD!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Me being me and the despreate need of trying to bring in some action I've decided to look up some different attractants.. Any input on this Big & J feed/attractant or anything else yall have used and had good outcome? Besides rice bran?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        It was a shooter. I'm hunting a particular deer. The older I get Charlie the more I become a gatherer.

Yup, me too... Shoot MANY, MANY more deer with my camera than my bow... None with my gun since about 1995 or so... Likely to change that later this week... Got some management killing I'm way behind on on our new place down South, so likely will take out a couple does with the 6.8 AR...
                        I actually repaired on of my old rifle stands and will be taking it to the ranch tomorrow... It's warm, dry, and comfortable with carpet/insulation on all sides, top/bottom and walls... Also gettin' softer in my "golden years"...

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexas88 View Post
                          Me being me and the despreate need of trying to bring in some action I've decided to look up some different attractants.. Any input on this Big & J feed/attractant or anything else yall have used and had good outcome? Besides rice bran?
                          For the most part, all that attractant stuff, when you make the purchase and take it out the store, its job is done and served its purpose...

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Mr FlakeKiller, you should have shot that deer. STUD!
                            Mr. Flakekiller. That made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              For the most part, all that attractant stuff, when you make the purchase and take it out the store, its job is done and served its purpose...

HA I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexas88 View Post
                                The deer are back on corn pretty good, I would just go with that. The only thing I have bought over the years that seems to do as advertised is Evercalm. Rub on your boots and on limbs around the stand and it does seem to help with deer being skittish.

Comment

Working...
                                X