2018/19 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
    To me it's a lot about how many deer you have. And hunting pressure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    This.

I take limiting noise in and around the woods SERIOUS this part of the year. Two of my sets are easily accessible from camp. However, I elect to drive 1.5 miles around the perimeter to get to them. I only mess with the camera or feed them on sunday afternoon, once every 2 weeks and even then I idle in and walk the last 100 yards or so

Comment

To me it's a lot about how many deer you have. And hunting pressure.

The pressure could be part of the issue.. I've hunted much more than he has but theres deer sign.. May see if I could get permission to hunt one of their blinds a few times thus up coming weekend ha. Or just sit somewhere random with good sign.. Idk but the deer are for sure testing my sanity this year

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        This.

I take limiting noise in and around the woods SERIOUS this part of the year. Two of my sets are easily accessible from camp. However, I elect to drive 1.5 miles around the perimeter to get to them. I only mess with the camera or feed them on sunday afternoon, once every 2 weeks and even then I idle in and walk the last 100 yards or so
        I'd say I'm pretty quiet for the most part going in and out. I park the ranger a good 100-150 yards away and walk the rest..

Comment

Pressure isn’t a issue with me. It’s the simple fact there is food in the woods and I’m waiting for them to come to me (eat corn) when I should really go to them. I found a heavy trail crossing a creek not far from where I hunt now. I’m going to place a camera there and also have one over my hand corn and see the difference in the deer that travel past me without even coming by my set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I may have a toad of a buck that may cross a creek 200 yards from my set that may completely avoid coming into corn. Along with other deer.. I love doing studies like this.

Comment

My deer are still hunting feeders, just sporatically. according to my cams they basically are showing up randomly all throughout the day. I sat on my rifle stand a couple times this weekend where i can see a long way in 3 directions with the feeder in front of me, ended up seeing 20+ deer and only 1 came to the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                I may have a toad of a buck that may cross a creek 200 yards from my set that may completely avoid coming into corn. Along with other deer.. I love doing studies like this.

The most consistent day time buck pics I have are coming off a trail 75 yards from a feeder (same spot the above fawn pic is). Its an old road made by a logging company years ago that leads to some of the thickest part of the property. Elevation drops 50 feet into a creek bottom where 2 spring fed creeks come together, its like a small canyon down in there. 95% hard woods and zero pressure. What little opening is in that pic. I have a lock on set 25 yards off that feed block

The closest feeder has had a camera on it since September and Ive got bucks using that trail that have yet to come to that feeder in day light hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  The most consistent day time buck pics I have are coming off a trail 75 yards from a feeder (same spot the above fawn pic is). Its an old road made by a logging company years ago that leads to some of the thickest part of the property. Elevation drops 50 feet into a creek bottom where 2 spring fed creeks come together, its like a small canyon down in there. 95% hard woods and zero pressure. What little opening is in that pic. I have a lock on set 25 yards off that feed block

The closest feeder has had a camera on it since September and Ive got bucks using that trail that have yet to come to that feeder in day light hours.

I’m waiting to see if something similar happens at this creek crossing. If so it will be more of a hang a stand hunt it hard for a few days with good wind and take the stand down. Hopefully I will get good results on camera

Comment

I'm gonna scout some Friday morning after i hunt. Go look around for somthing to get my hopes up haha

Comment

Had a couple out over the weekend.

Dang Pat, that deer in the scope pic looks like a shooter to me!! Why aren't we seein' LDP's??

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        here is one for now. i will write some of them up soon.
                        That's awesome, Steve...congrats to the young man

Comment

Good ole east texas buck killed near Athens , Texas
                          Shot him last night right before dark, Rough scored him right at 119

Comment

It was a shooter. I'm hunting a particular deer. The older I get Charlie the more I become a gatherer.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post

Good ole east texas buck killed near Athens , Texas
                              Shot him last night right before dark, Rough scored him right at 119

Nice deer. You get him with your bow?

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                                From Bow Opener until about the 25th of October I was seeing 3-7 deer per hunt. From then on until now I’m averaging 0-3 deer per hunt.

It sounds like you’re in their Summer pattern. Bet your cams get active again late Dec/Jan with bucks you hadn’t seen since early bow season. It’s like our bucks shuffle once prerut hits.

Comment

Working...
                                X