No announcement yet.

Real County Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how much it has affected the overall numbers but there has been a lot of trapping and removal of Axis in Real County. Relatives have a ranch NW of Leaky that they were seeing Axis on a regular basis. Trappers came in on neighbors and now haven't seen one in 4-5 yrs. A ranch just north of town that had good numbers of Axis allowed trappers in and same thing.

Comment

We were there in April hunting just outside of town and shot 13 in 3 days.
      Originally posted by 250AI View Post
      I don't know how much it has affected the overall numbers but there has been a lot of trapping and removal of Axis in Real County. Relatives have a ranch NW of Leaky that they were seeing Axis on a regular basis. Trappers came in on neighbors and now haven't seen one in 4-5 yrs. A ranch just north of town that had good numbers of Axis allowed trappers in and same thing.

Comment

Beautiful buck congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
            We were there in April hunting just outside of town and shot 13 in 3 days.
            We still see good groups of them around town and around certain parts of the river but the numbers have def went down on their place. They even have part of the frio running through theirs and we used to see several herds of 30-40 in each one. Now lucky to see 10-15 axis while driving through the whole ranch.

Comment

You think a high fence being put up could have cut them off? Or maybe the guides who are taking people like us around shooting 13 in three days?
              Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
              We still see good groups of them around town and around certain parts of the river but the numbers have def went down on their place. They even have part of the frio running through theirs and we used to see several herds of 30-40 in each one. Now lucky to see 10-15 axis while driving through the whole ranch.

Comment

Congrats to the both of you. Heck of an Axis.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Great story and what a buck!

I don't know how much it has affected the overall numbers but there has been a lot of trapping and removal of Axis in Real County.
                    Edwards as well

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                      You think a high fence being put up could have cut them off? Or maybe the guides who are taking people like us around shooting 13 in three days?
                      Not any new high fences that I know of and most of the places around him are pretty good sized places. I know some of them are leased out but don't know of any selling hunts. You see herds of 20-30 driving into the ranch along the river but once you get a little farther back they seem to thin out a good bit. They have seen a big increase in fallow the past few years though. Not sure what happened but numbers are way down.

Comment

Which ranch north of town are you talking about? I stay at Frio River Landing often a mile north of town and that place is covered up in Axis.

Comment

I certainly had rocks under me but at that time I didn't really care. The whole face thing is another story! The buck was facing us and would not turn. I told my son to wait until he turned, but we were really at last light here. He decided to shoot him in the chest and must have jerked the trigger. He has been a great shot so far (putting down the gold medal and a WT cull buck with great shots) but this time (unknown to me....he shot him in the face!!!!!). I get up quickly and the buck had hit the ground....but then gets up and is just turning in circles. I quickly shot him and put him down. We did not know about the face shot until later. Explained why he was turning in circles. Crazy hunt indeed! My son was crying at first because he wounded him. Hate any suffering, but I ended it pretty fast. He ended up happy, but he will certainly not forget this hunt. As for the numbers, I was on this ranch about 12 years ago when the axis were plentiful. We used to see axis all over the place just driving to the ranch, now we see a few, but way less than we used to. And I am talking about lots of HF ranches....big ones too.
                          Last edited by sako; 06-26-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

That's awesome. Congrats to the both of ya on a fine axis!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X