No announcement yet.

Another tipping question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been tipped both for my taxidermy business and my real estate business. I sell/guide management hunts on our lease and have been tipped for that as well. When going on guided trips (fishing or hunting) I always tip, whether it was the outfitter or a guide hasn't mattered to me. Also do a little (ok, ok...a lot) of trading--Taxidermy for guide trips-- and in every case neither of us has tipped the other.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      Wellllll, there is some truth to that. Tipping is out of control in this country.
      I agree !! I ain`t tipping no guide . Charge me up front for what you feel is a fair price and I will decide to purchase your service or not. I just built a house and had to deal with dozens of subs. I tipped none of them and none asked for a tip. A guide is no different in my opinion.

Comment

By that logic I should only hire guides without employees. It would be cheaper. I tip because next time I go with that guide I want them to remember me. I don't care if they are employees or owner's. The tip is the communication of a job done well.

Comment

I'd tip him and depending on how much of an effort he gave would determine the percentage. It's not always about the success or failure for me but the overall experience of the trip. Tip accordingly pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
            I'd tip him and depending on how much of an effort he gave would determine the percentage. It's not always about the success or failure for me but the overall experience of the trip. Tip accordingly pretty simple.
            This

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
              Stupid question, but does anyone here tip their taxidermist? He charged for a service and he provided that service. Why give him more? Kind of the same thing.
              excellent question! A mount is not just a mount, some Taxi's put extra effort into making in a lifelike representation of the animal you killed while some just mount it and call it good... Yes, some of that is covered by cost of the mount if you are dealing with an established Taxi but younger guys price to compete and get business and should be tipped when going above and beyond.

Tipping in general should be for going above and beyond, not just for actually doing your job

Comment

Another tipping question.

I hate tipping outside of eating out or getting my hair cut. I will lug 1000 pounds of luggage at a 5 Star hotel before I tip a bag man. I will tip the valet but I would rather get my own chit[emoji23].
                I would rather the tip be built in @ 20% so I don’t have to think about it.

It’s really awkward to me when I order a meal at the counter and there is a tip amount and all they will do is bring me my meal. I have to serve my own drink and put my trash away when I leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Black Ice; 06-23-2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                  Fact : Hot waitress with attitude don’t get squat! To me all about a persons attitude, attentiveness , details, prep work, equipment,,,
                  Exactly. If she's hot and still sucks she gets crappy tip on purpose. Just like an old captain told me. Always let the ugly girls go with a warning and write the pretty ones. the cute ones always get off free with some flirting.

As for guide tips. I always tip. If the guy busts his but and works. Tip.

Chandeluer island trip perfect example. Food could have been hot dogs and soup. But we had prime rib and fresh seafood. Deckhand could have just fileted and not asked how you wanted it bagged etc. Captain could have stayed on the boat soaking up a.c. but he was out hunting better fishing. I tipped very well

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Maybe because you pay the landscaper to cut the grass. It's either cut or not cut. He can't cut it extra good for you. And it doesn't involve giving entertainment.
                    Landscaper is a service

And yes, absolutely, someone can suck balls at mowing/edging.

Comment

So what I learned from this thread is any employee is expected to not do their job very well so when they do ok you better tip.

And even the landscaper shouldn't be expected to do their job correctly.

Comment

My guideline for tipping is pretty simple. I go in with a set of expectations. If they are below what I expected, no tip. If they met what I expected I usually give 15%. If they went above my expectations then I’ve tipped as Hugh as 100% of the tab. But that was for service that way exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

For you non tippers of outfitters here's something to think about......most top end outfitters will have a waiting list for their spots. If you liked your trip and would like to return I would suggest you tip. If you dont, you run the risk of the outfitter not having you back. They dont have to give you a spot the next year. Also, regarding whether tipping the owner or not if he is the one guiding in appropriate or not, I have every time. When I book a trip, I specifically ask if the owner will be guiding me as that is what I prefer. I tip accordingly. It doesnt matter to me if he owns the business or not. He guided me and busted his butt(most cases) just like a hired guide would have.

OP, yes tip the guy regardless of the fact that it is catch and release. Just tip what you think is appropriate and what suits your budget.
                          Last edited by rtp; 06-23-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            My guideline for tipping is pretty simple. I go in with a set of expectations. If they are below what I expected, no tip. If they met what I expected I usually give 15%. If they went above my expectations then I’ve tipped as Hugh as 100% of the tab. But that was for service that way exceeded my expectations.

This exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

This is what I do. I hate the 10% 15% rule junk... I try to not calculate based on the total bill. If a waitress does a great job and the tab is $20 she gets $10.. If the tab is $50 and does the same great job she gets $10.

Who am I kidding. I only eat at Taco Bell.

Comment

Working...
                              X