Hourly VS Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucks and ducks View Post
    It’s hard to give up overtime. I would try to stay on hourly plus O.T.
    yes it is, I still have another 30+ years of working, so I have plenty of time to advance. I enjoy having these options though

Comment

Originally posted by brnhtown View Post
      I'm not topped out in the pay scale, I meant that I'm out of promotions or advancement in the hourly jobs. Any step for a promotion for me would have to be a salary job. If I was topped out in pay then yes, no brainer, of course

What can you expect your annual salary increase to be at hourly? Typically it’s 3-5% at best in my market so you are barely covering annual inflation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So I'm sure there has been threads like this in the past, I couldn't find much info on the subject so here we go.

I've always been an hourly employee, today I applied for a salary job. The position is a pay increase as far as base pay but I'm going to take a pay cut as far as losing my OT. Of course, if I am selected for the position. How do you negotiate as far as trying to make up for some of the OT that will be lost? I could see it being around $10k-$15k paycut
        how do the hours compare?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          What can you expect your annual salary increase to be at hourly? Typically it’s 3-5% at best in my market so you are barely covering annual inflation.

I would imagine it would be close to the same where i'm at

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            how do the hours compare?
            the salary job is pretty much per week with some maybe a few extra here and there. My hourly job as a pipeline foreman gets pretty crazy at times, I work a significant amount of OT

Comment

Not knowing what kind of business you are in another way to look at it. Generally when you go from hourly to salaried you become part of management which means more responsibility and many times you don't feel you are being properly compensated for the extra responsibility. If all you want out of your "job" is what your paycheck is then by all means stay hourly because you will never feel like you are getting paid enough when your are salaried for the time you put in.

Comment

You really need to know the added perks/incentives IMO.

I was hourly for a long time. When I was brought into the office 4 years ago, I got about a $15K/yr paycut when you look at my annual earnings on hourly vs my new base salary. I was skeptical at first but I took it anyway.

As things got moving, I was all the sudden given a brand new company truck (loaded out), all fuel paid for, deer hunts in Kansas, duck hunts, dove hunts. Then I got my 5 figure bonus at the end of the year

Then I understood the “pay cut”

Oh yea, working less hours and can leave early or come in late to take care of personal things if needed and not have to lose out on my “hourly earnings”

Comment

Salaried also has it's down side. Although you know your pay is going to be the same each paycheck, you may or may not be expected to work lots of odd hours and overtime. I worked on salary for many many years and seldom can I remember working a 40 hour week. Most of the time I put in 45 to 50 hours. I did have the security of knowing my budget was intact due to bad weather etc where the field people lost time and had to make up for it when the weather cleared.

Comment

If you’re applying for the job because a new company has pursued you, or your current company is trying to advance you, you’re in a position to ask for compensation for lost overtime in the switch. This could also apply to you if you possess a skill set that they’re not going to easily be able to find elsewhere. If you’re just applying on your own, and especially if they will have other qualified applicants, I don’t think it’s appropriate to ask. If I was the boss, and had other good options, I wouldn’t hire someone who came in and immediately asked for a raise. I only read through part of this thread, so I don’t know which situation you’ll fall into, but tread lightly if you don’t have any leverage.
                    Last edited by bullets13; 06-17-2018, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I would ask about the bonus structure before making any decisions. Most salaried employees recieve sizable bonuses when P&L goals are met... This does depend heavily on your industry though.

In a perfect world, if you're working alot of extra hours, business is good and your bonus should reflect that.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                        Not knowing what kind of business you are in another way to look at it. Generally when you go from hourly to salaried you become part of management which means more responsibility and many times you don't feel you are being properly compensated for the extra responsibility. If all you want out of your "job" is what your paycheck is then by all means stay hourly because you will never feel like you are getting paid enough when your are salaried for the time you put in.

I’ve been salary for almost 20 years and I’ve never felt like that.

I negotiate what I feel is a fair salary for my time. There’s times when I put in extra and there’s times when I have lots of flexibility. My check is the same either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                          I'm in the natural gas industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            You really need to know the added perks/incentives IMO.

I was hourly for a long time. When I was brought into the office 4 years ago, I got about a $15K/yr paycut when you look at my annual earnings on hourly vs my new base salary. I was skeptical at first but I took it anyway.

As things got moving, I was all the sudden given a brand new company truck (loaded out), all fuel paid for, deer hunts in Kansas, duck hunts, dove hunts. Then I got my 5 figure bonus at the end of the year

Then I understood the “pay cut”

Oh yea, working less hours and can leave early or come in late to take care of personal things if needed and not have to lose out on my “hourly earnings”
                            man, this sounds good! I want this type of paycut

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Salaried also has it's down side. Although you know your pay is going to be the same each paycheck, you may or may not be expected to work lots of odd hours and overtime. I worked on salary for many many years and seldom can I remember working a 40 hour week. Most of the time I put in 45 to 50 hours. I did have the security of knowing my budget was intact due to bad weather etc where the field people lost time and had to make up for it when the weather cleared.
                              this is true. honestly, I enjoy some of the late nights and comradery with my guys and will miss out on that if chosen for this new job. But, I'm looking to advance in my career and that is exciting as well

Comment

man, this sounds good! I want this type of paycut
                                It also came with a daily headache!!

Believe me, there are times when I feel I’m not compensated enough. These are usually the times when nuts are dragging in the dirt and I feel there is no end in sight. And then there are the other times.

Comment

Working...
                                X