Honda Pioneer 500 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Pioneer 500 experience?

This year I’ll look less like the Beverly Hillbillies!

I bought a Strongmade front hood basket. Bad idea- blocked my vision on the trail. Due to dumb luck, I was able to move it to the top, and added a 30” LED light bar.

I just installed a Dusty Dawgs dog rack in the rear. Double duty for hunting. Again by dumb luck my padded 2-bow case fits perfectly in the upper rack. I’m concerned about the center of gravity and will only put light weight gear up top. When it’s time for new tires, I think I’ll go 26” and an inch wider (9 and 11”) and add 1” spacers for a little more width.

Next will be a removable winch (front or rear) and a snow plow- this is Montana.

Pictures taken in the Tobacco Roots Mountains north of where we bought land to build. These pictures were 30 minutes north of our retirement home- and I found good elk sign

Without pictures it didn’t happen!

Oh- and mounted my old XD Gear holster below where I sit for 45 with Buffalo Bore bear loads. Molon labe!

Last edited by Bill; 08-18-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Where can I find/ buy this hardware or was this custom fabricated? I’m thinking going this way, just making it 6” higher and putting loops on the top rail for tie downs or bungee cords.

The Honda service manager said he’s seen lots of custom racks. He cautioned against extending it far rearwards without a support ( such as from the hitch) if I was planning to put the cooler in the far rear filled with meat- the rack will eventually rip out of the rear plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sorry just saw this, that's a home made basket put together with some Tecate light . Juat a few scraps laying around and a welding machine. .

Comment

Looking good Bill ! Free at last !!!

Comment

I like that rear rack!!

Comment

Awesome machine Bill!! You sir are livin' the life now for sure!!

Comment

I went with 27/9/12 on all 4 and it is perfect for me, but might Rob a little power at high elevation...i don't know

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Do The 27s fit without spacers?
                What rims?

Comment

Yes fits on factory wheels, no rubbing, not trimming, and no spacers needed. If you wanted to, trimming would be really easy. there is square tubing in the front for the frame that the end could be cut at a 45 degree, but plastic cap in it wouldn't fit anymore. I saw it would be a very easy fix if needed, but trimming wasn't needed.

Comment

So- +1 inch wider than stock in front, and +2 inches wider on rear?

I’m more concerned with raising center of gravity with the racks up top.

Comment

Pioneer 500

Love mine. Added a few upgrades.

Steven
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        So- +1 inch wider than stock in front, and +2 inches wider on rear?

I’m more concerned with raising center of gravity with the racks up top.

I did 9" wide tires front and rear. I can't remember what the stock tire size was.

Comment

Stock tires are 8” front, 10” rear x24. 12” rims.

Comment

Good to know that size fits. I’ll probably do rear spacers at least to stabilize it if higher with new tires.

Comment

You can see tuning that could be trimmed if needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I noticed you dispensed with the mesh above the door panels as well.

While Montana does not require a helmet, after a bad accident in 2015 and a concussion, plus seeing how a vacationer in a rental Kawasaki side by side was able to roll it on a flat road in the national forest (I drove by and rendered help) - I now wear my ‘brain bucket’ when I ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X