No announcement yet.

Hagerman Segment B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope not I have some good spots picked out we should definitely hunt seg b

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

No word yet on B Boss, supposed to hear this coming week.

However, myself and Carlock spent most of the day at the H, there were enough vehicles in the areas hopefully someone else can give their opinion of the situation.

IMO, there is no reason to postpone the hunt based on the flooding, or lack thereof in the 3 open areas- unless you are going to hunt within sight of the HQ or on what would be the normal lakeshore.

We walked the areas that I have on my possible list, and other than a few sloughs still holding lakewater, found no areas that are flooded, nor had had water for any extended time. There are some boggy areas, but no dead/rotten areas and very few where the grass was laid over. We even went to areas where I KNEW there would be water- none.

We did not go- Mid Goode by the cemetery, South Goode other than driving through the day use area, nor did we go to the HQ and North Harris trail from HQ.

Pic 1- east Meyers at Terry
      Pic 2- Mid Meyers entry by Lebanon tree, i expected water here, none, but the creek on far tree line is probably full
      Pic 3- east Meyers at Terry
      Pic 4- from Goode to HQ at the low water crossing
      Pic 5- Carlock mid Goode
      Pic 6- Goode far NE, I expected water here, none, and appeared not to have flooded
      Pic 7 Goode
      Pic 8- Goode bridge, I expected water here, none, and didn't appear to have flooded
      Pic 9- Goode day use, again, expected water here, none and didn't appear to haven been flooded
      Pic 10- lower Harris creek, I expected this to be flooded, some standing water, but no flood

Just my observations.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
        On years where there is flooding, such as now. They should just go ahead with the hunt, but open all units up so there is ample places to hunt and hunters aren’t so concentrated. I wouldn’t cancel it regardless, that just opens way more cans of worms. Just my opinion.

I couldn’t agree more. You know going in there a chance if something happening. Put your big boy/girl pants on and do it. Very disappointed in the way they handled this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t believe seg a couldn’t adjust their hunting around water. Seem like U could find some water to cross backed up in the woods were no one else would go and have a good shot at a big deer. Guessing it would be to much work for the city people!

Comment

I view the call made two weeks ago for Seg A had to do with the following:

History of the flooding in the past, how fast can the COE drop the lake, what will the conditions be once the water recedes. Level is 6.73 as of this evening, who could predict they could drop it that quickly. For contrast, Lake Whitney is still almost 13 feet high 3 weeks after the heavy rain.

Giving the hunters enough time to cancel plans/vacation/reservations.

It would be nice to have a crystal ball, but it never works that way.
            Last edited by Razorback01; 11-03-2018, 06:28 PM. Reason: corrected-added

Comment

Reckon we will know tomorrow, see what happens.

Comment

Does anyone on the GS remember Segment B in 2013? We had a terrible ice storm on the Thursday night and early hours of Friday morning. It created Cobblestone Ice and it was nearly impossible to get to the Refuge. I started over on Friday morning but turned around and came back home because the roads were so bad. I decided to give it a try on Saturday morning after daylight since I had hung a stand on Thursday morning. I live about 40 miles away and it took me over 3 hours to get there and over an hour to get in my stand because you couldn't ride a bike on the ice. I wimped out and did not go back on Sunday.

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with this thread but it just brought back memories of my experiences in hunting Hagerman.

Maybe they will let the Segment B go as scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by kdarwin View Post
                  Does anyone on the GS remember Segment B in 2013? We had a terrible ice storm on the Thursday night and early hours of Friday morning. It created Cobblestone Ice and it was nearly impossible to get to the Refuge. I started over on Friday morning but turned around and came back home because the roads were so bad. I decided to give it a try on Saturday morning after daylight since I had hung a stand on Thursday morning. I live about 40 miles away and it took me over 3 hours to get there and over an hour to get in my stand because you couldn't ride a bike on the ice. I wimped out and did not go back on Sunday.

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with this thread but it just brought back memories of my experiences in hunting Hagerman.

Your story is the exact example needed. A dangerous ice storm and they decide not to cancel. Two flooded roads and they cancel a hunt?? You can access anywhere. Sure there’s a little water in certain areas but nothing that would warrant to cancel a hunt. Again not the best decision on their part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Flood again next year, yeah possible but very low odds of that happening, think this is the first time they've ever had 12+ feet of flooding during the hunts since they started them and I think they've been doing the H hunts since the 80's???, 90's for sure.
                    that is ridiculous logic... why get in a car then since there is a chance you could ever get in a wreck

Comment

Spent about 10 hours scouting this weekend. I agree with razor (and thanks for adding pics) you should send those to Gayle! If I was in seg A I would be so ******! Friday was cold and calm and I saw a ton of deer everywhere not just in the Hag. Saturday was windy but still chilly enough to get them moving early and late. Today was deer hunting weather to the max for early November. The deer are also transitioning into the rut which means lots of bucks moving long distances and covering some serious ground. Probably the very best conditions in the last several years for seg A. As for seg B there is absolutely no reason to postpone this hunt! Wildlife drive is the only thing affected by this “flood” those of you who don’t live around here don’t see the Hag under water like we do, and for the guy saying that the lake was 12’ over the road for the first time ever I suggest you go look at 2015 (and everyone still hunted) and other years with the same conditions we’re dealing with now, only difference is the people involved. If they let us hunt it is going to be a great one! Here’s to hoping they let us go!

Comment

Originally posted by kdarwin View Post

That was seg C and I was there, we slayed the hogs, had a legal buck come up behind me crunching throught the ice so loud I though for sure it was another hunter and I turned my head to fast and he busted me. It was a fun hunt but but too darn cold for me, it was cool blood trailing on the sleet/ice, makes it REAL easy!

That said the weather was unexpected and last minute so they really had no time to cancel, had the ice happened on wednesday instead of thursday they would have cancelled I bet, I think they will let the B hunt happen, texoma is 7.9' high and dropping.
                        Last edited by bossbowman; 11-04-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          that is ridiculous logic... why get in a car then since there is a chance you could ever get in a wreck
                          If B and C aren't cancelled the units will rotate and big mineral will be open next year, I would bet at certain times there are more big deer in big mineral than the other 5 units combined.
                          Last edited by bossbowman; 11-04-2018, 09:52 PM.

Comment

As of this morning, and only one chance of rain in the next 10 day forecast.
                            Current Readings:
                            6.28 ft ABOVE normal
                            Pool elevation is 624.78 feet on Monday 05Nov18 Time: 0400 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              As of this morning, and only one chance of rain in the next 10 day forecast.
                              Current Readings:
                              6.28 ft ABOVE normal
                              Pool elevation is 624.78 feet on Monday 05Nov18 Time: 0400 hours.
                              Where are you getting your conservation pool data?, I'm seeing texoma is 7.8 feet high.

Comment

Per email, Seg B is on! Here we go!

Comment

Working...
                                X