Hagerman Segment B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome bucks, guys.
    Anyone know how many deer were reported killed this segment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to all. Some big *** bucks !

Comment

Yup, I'm now excited for the segment A hunt next year! Congrats guys! Great looking deer!

Comment

Hey mr loggins have 3 years of photos of your deer ... they finally validated me on texas bowhunter so i could send a message to ya ... holler if you want some photos and history on him ... congrats man ... hope to talk to ya soon

Comment

Originally posted by lmloggins10 View Post
            what did that thing score?
            Message me mr loggins if u want

Comment

Originally posted by Drake05 View Post
              Message me mr loggins if u want

214-2 seven 4- 783 six

Comment

Originally posted by Drake05 View Post
                Hey mr loggins have 3 years of photos of your deer ... they finally validated me on texas bowhunter so i could send a message to ya ... holler if you want some photos and history on him ... congrats man ... hope to talk to ya soon
                That's cool! I want to see....

Comment

How is it going to work with some hunters being guaranteed Seg A and switching to the TPWD draw next year?

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                    How is it going to work with some hunters being guaranteed Seg A and switching to the TPWD draw next year?

Is it 100% sure they are switching?? If they do switch someone better hope there is good communication.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      That is a BIG deer.

This morning I saw nothing, came to camp and packed what I could. Went back to see if I could get a couple hogs, ended up with a doe. No ticket, had to shoot her more than once, bad decisions on my part. An enjoyable weekend, and I am whupped.

Two deer Doug! =
                      Congrats my friend!

Comment

Originally posted by NelsonV View Post
                        Is it 100% sure they are switching?? If they do switch someone better hope there is good communication.

I had heard they were, that’s going to completely ruin the odds of getting drawn.

Comment

I would imagine that TPWD would only be able to offfer lottery tickets for 2 segments (B and C) since A is already selected. Then moving forward it would be however many hunts they choose to do

I hope it doesn’t get switched to them but the money says it is

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                            I would imagine that TPWD would only be able to offfer lottery tickets for 2 segments (B and C) since A is already selected. Then moving forward it would be however many hunts they choose to do

I hope it doesn’t get switched to them but the money says it is
                            Exactly. The online draw system isn’t good for anybody or anything but the states pocketbook.

Comment

Exactly. The online draw system isn’t good for anybody or anything but the states pocketbook.
                              Yep, the big hang up is the state doesn't want to require IBEP certification but I guess the refuge could still require it and the proficiency testing at time of check-in but thats gonna slow down thrursday and stand hanging. The state also wants xbows to be allowed without medical exemption and as for golden tickets those might those go away as well, I think there will be a fight against the state taking over the draw...

Comment

My Hagerman hunt experience. First- I don’t proclaim to be the “great hunter” so don’t take this as an attempt to brag., I usually eat tag soup each year. This was my 4th Hagerman deer hunt over the past 10 or so years, 2010, 2011, 2015, and 2018. I managed a button buck in 2011 that I thought was a doe.

In addition to my deer hunts, I’ve been involved with two of the spring hog hunts, and assisted RGB with two TYHP hunts, with another in the books for this January.

If I would guess how much time I spend in Hagerman each year over the past 10, on average, 3 days. I’ve walked over most of Goode, Meyers and Sandy, and some of Godwin, Big Mineral, and Harris. In reality I can’t pinpoint one thing that led to my success this past weekend, other than MAYBE as TBHr- blide put it- Instinct - Experience and knowledge based response. However, if it was based on past experience and knowledge- it was not a “hey lets do this because it will work” thought. Some may have been experience and knowledge, most was probably luck.

This hunt I scheduled plenty of time off, Tuesday thru Monday. Tuesday was camp setup and check out where I wanted to eventually hunt, only issue was anything but a Westerly wind, which pointed to Sunday. That would involve a mid-day Saturday move. I had jumped a nice buck back in October in that area, and was wanting to spend as much time in that area Sunday.

My Wednesday was to be discuss my hunt comments with the refuge staff and do some preliminary scouting in the area for our January TYHP hunt. Afternoon was to ready my stand setup on Thursday.

Thursday, orientation and stand placement. I had decided to hunt a place close to my 2010 and 2011 hunts, wasn’t my first choice, but would get me into the weekend. Ended up with a nice guy setup a hundred or so yards away, not a big deal as there was a large ditch between us. Didn’t bother me, didn’t bother him.

Friday am, had 3-4 healthy coyotes, ton of squirrels, no deer. As much acreage is in that area I felt it best if we spread out. So I took down my set and moved my climber @500yards further North into the area were I saw a lot of deer and took the button buck in 2011. I wasn’t happy with my set, but it was real good for wind direction. I didn’t have my limb saw, so my Summit climber was only at about 12 feet. That evening a got a real short glimpse of a buck, too far away to tell what it was, and two large pigs. So I was disappointed, although I would hunt it Saturday morning, I was already contemplating my move mid-day Saturday in preparation for the Sunday hunt.

Saturday morning hunt, I packed lite in preparation for the mid-day move and a late afternoon old man recovery period. 0645 (6:45 am) I heard something, I’m poor hearing in my left ear so it’s difficult for me to pinpoint a direction for sound. I look behind me (20 yards to Lake Texoma toward my scent cone), and there is a buck walking the shoreline. He came away from the shore more to my front right (I was facing into the wind, generally S/SE, BTW- one of the few places that I had found acorns. In his meandering I had already determined that this was not only not what I came to Hagerman for, he wasn’t legal. So I unclipped my release and put the bow back on the hook and started reaching for my phone to video. Then he drifted back toward the lakeshore behind me and I knew this would be short lived because my scent was blowing straight to where he was walking, sure enough, head flew up, and I thought it was over, this was at 10 yards, which gave me enough time to reevaluate his rack, and what I saw said this one is a shooter, and is legal (hope the resident TBH biologist approves). So he spins and bolts 25 yards back to the south, and stops, I get the bow picked up and release clipped, he moves into a shooting lane, after that it’s a blur- I can’t recall what pin I used, all I know is the “thump”. He bolts again and gone. I wait about 20 minutes, climb down to go check the scene, nice arrow and nice blood trail. Go back to my pack and grab TP, compass and GPS for what may be a trailing activity. I wait a few more minutes and gather what I need. After getting back to my original trail stop, I see a large white furry spot in front of me, yep, my deer, about 75 yards total. Now the work begins, I went about a half mile to where I had locked my game cart, back to the deer and commence cleaning. Then get a 130lb dressed dear on the cart (I weigh @160-170), not an easy chore. Then @50 yards of wood, then over a mile of white rock road. Get back to the gate, off the cart to get him and the cart under the gate, and then the dilemma of how to get 130lbs of buck into the back of my truck. Ingenious, use the cart as a sled while propped on the tailgate! Made it back to the check station, get the paperwork done, then into Whitesboro for a couple bags of ice and onward to CCR as I don’t think my ice chest would hold him. Meanwhile, I was looking to get a euro mount, but everyone that saw the antlers said the only justice is a shoulder mount, so that is what I had decided, more to come on that.

Back to Saturday afternoon, once I get back from CCR, I had decided to just use the area that I was in, but I needed to relocate my stand to account for a wind shift to the North/Northwest. So using the bicycle I managed to get in and out by 1500 (3pm). Went back to camp and got some old man rest.

Sunday am, back to the stand, cold N/NW wind coming off the lake, I was shivering, and nothing spotted, hauled the stand and gear out. Back to camp and started arranging stuff for the trip back. Went up and fueled the truck, ate some lunch and determined that I was going to hunt an area with just street clothes and a stool for 2 piggies. Snuck down in the area (Thanks Carlock), just getting ready to sit down, and then a deer blowing. I managed to pinpoint the blowing- 3 deer about 30 yards up wind. After a 15 minute standoff, one comes clear. Thump, and I thought it was a good shot, evidentially not, had to execute a follow-up shot- so no ticket. Finally managed to get her over @100 yards of thicket and logs, back to the gate and truck, it was dark I hauled her non-cleaned and finally managed to get her in the truck, back to the check station. Now- what to do with her, I don’t have enough room for the meat coming from the buck, let alone another deer. I would have liked to process it myself, but how- my mistake. I went looking for two hogs for a 2019 ticket and ended up with a big doe. I managed to give her away to a local family that wanted some venison (thanks Gayle), and signed it over with a WRD.

I loved the weekend, and I hope nothing changes with the Hagerman hunt program. Thanks Hagerman staff. It’s as hard, or easy as you make it. $53.00 to hunt, you can’t beat that. No corn, no permanent stands, no cameras. Pics below are of my FitBit last week, and the end of the main beams of the buck I took. I’m tired still today (Wednesday), my shoulders and back are hurting, and I’m as happy as I can be. Till next time Hagerman!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X