No announcement yet.

Best V8 Engine Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont see how anyone can get over 10 mpg out of a Tundra with these being the only gear options with a 5.7... 4.10 (w/out tow package), 4.30 (w/tow package)

The Ford 5.0 is a good motor but they are ordering trucks with gearing for higher mpg 3.15 or 3.31s if I remember right and yes gutless.

But if you want to use it like a truck get one with no less than a 3.55 or the 3.73.

Comment

Only time I see 10 mpg in my tundra is towing and that’s with 4.30s.

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
      I dont see how anyone can get over 10 mpg out of a Tundra with these being the only gear options with a 5.7... 4.10 (w/out tow package), 4.30 (w/tow package)

The Ford 5.0 is a good motor but they are ordering trucks with gearing for higher mpg 3.15 or 3.31s if I remember right and yes gutless.

But if you want to use it like a truck get one with no less than a 3.55 or the 3.73.

Comment

If you’re not pulling much as you stated, you need to take a hard look at the F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It’s got more balls than the 2015 5.3 Chevy that I traded in for it and I get 27 mpg hwy.

Comment

Ford should advertise 27 mpg with 3.5 eco boost, check out fuelly on the eco boosts, it’s not nearly what’s advertised.

Originally posted by wtb90 View Post
          If you’re not pulling much as you stated, you need to take a hard look at the F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It’s got more balls than the 2015 5.3 Chevy that I traded in for it and I get 27 mpg hwy.

Comment

27 mpg...?

Your DTE gauge working right lol

Comment

😂
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                27 mpg...?

Your DTE gauge working right lol
                I’ve hand calculated and it’s dead on. It’s 2wd and I drive like a grandpa though. I drove the 5.3 the same way and got 21 mpg. Hated the AFM in that thing when hauling.

Comment

I’ve hand calculated and it’s dead on. It’s 2wd and I drive like a grandpa though. I drove the 5.3 the same way and got 21 mpg. Hated the AFM in that thing when hauling.
                  Dang impressive then.

I couldn’t flirt with 20mpg in my 5.0 if I wanted to lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                    Chevy ls motors. 5.3, 6.0. How many off road rigs and hot rods do you see with Toyota and Ford engines swapped into them?

If they are so great people would use them.
                    Boom! Debate over.

Comment

So far, with easy driving and no trailer, I have averaged 21 mpg on my 18 F150. Add a trailer or some need for speed and that can drop pretty quick. Still about 13 mpg pulling 14 ft trailer with 4 wheeler.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                        I get 13.2-13.8 in my stock 5.7!
                        Same here. I’ve got BFG AT’s on mine is only mod but I’m with ya on fuel. I can say it’ll only suffer about 1mpg with trailer loaded. Still like it better than my last 10 gm’s they’d get 16 avg but about 8 with trailer

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                          Dang impressive then.

I couldn’t flirt with 20mpg in my 5.0 if I wanted to lol

I drove my 5.0 with 3.55s the same way as him best I ever got was 23 mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            This is one of the best engines on the market, and hard to beat reliability.

Comment

Best V8 Engine Out There?

I’ve drove my 5.7 Hemi pretty good. It’s a 2010. Only things I’ve had to replace on this truck are the battery, alternator, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat and AC condenser. Less than $2000 in repairs over 8 years and 170k miles.

Not bad if you ask me. It beats a high dollar payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                Yep, I'm going to have to leave the half tons alone. I need something I can throw a box in and still have room in the bed. I'm not turning down a diesel either if I stumble across the right one in my search.
                                I’ve had work trucks with Ford’s 6.7 and Ram’s 6.7.

The Powerstroke is noticeably quicker off the line but feels a bit anemic (to me) when hooked up to a heavy gooseneck as compared to the Cummins with the same load and trailer. Not much difference, but the Ford seems to downshift slightly more often and rev higher than the Ram. The Cummins gets much better mileage. Unloaded highway cruising, the Cummins sees 18-19 in a 4wd vs. the powerstroke’s 15-16 in a RWD.

Edit: I don’t know the gear ratio of either truck, so that could be a factor.
                                Last edited by 30-30; 11-28-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X