Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Deer Protein question per contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many lease members do y’all have ?

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post
      I'm not sure how big they are, he said it was $1800 to fill 5...
      that equates to about 4 tons of feed, give or take. So each feeder is 1500 lbs I would guess.

I dont know your acerage or deer density, but if you have a place of any size and the deer know what protein is, that amount of protein wont last a whole year....ever. You should probably budget to fill them at least 2-3 times a year moving forward.

As for this year, perhaps you can come to an agreement to not feed protein for the remainder of this year and resume next year. See what he says.

Comment

Have you seen them? Is this in East Texas? I'm trying to grasp everything we have going on here. You don't have many deer at all if 7500 lbs lasted you 3 to 4 months. How many acres are we talking about? All parities involved should have known one round of protein wasn't lasting anywhere close to a year.

Comment

I would ask to see the receipt. That is about 10k lbs of feed, maybe a lot more when buying bulk instead of by the bag.

Comment

Our deer are consuming 200-300 lbs of protein per feeder, per week.

If he is feeding Purina Antler Max., then average cost is approx $11.25 per 50 lbs., so he only bought roughly 156 bags or 7,800 pounds. That is only 1500 pounds per feeder. Not far off I suspect.

Comment

Depends on the place he is getting your protein but a pallet of protein is 40 sacks and 510 dollars a pallet at the place we get ours at so he got 3.5 pallets roughly! If y’all could just purchase one pallet between y’all that would put 10 sacks in each feeder that will last y’all another month are so roughly!

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                Our deer are consuming 200-300 lbs of protein per feeder, per week.

If he is feeding Purina Antler Max., then average cost is approx $11.25 per 50 lbs., so he only bought roughly 156 bags or 7,800 pounds. That is only 1500 pounds per feeder. Not far off I suspect.
                My detective senses say no way they have 5 - 1,500 lb protein feeders. And probably not feeding the high dollar stuff either.

May be more feasible to feed cotton seed for half the price.

Comment

Well I talked to the rancher and he said the protein feed was $1750 for 8500 pounds $40 deliver and $40 to put it in the 5 protein feeders from Fredonia Peanut feed store. We have two payments set up to complete our lease payments and we have agreed to just add it to those two payments.

Just had to talk thru it and next year we will be more prepared for expenses...seems like we have a pretty good group of guys and a rancher that is willing to work with us.

Comment

Good deal, sounds like you handle it the right way. Its easy to get sideways with ranchers and lease managers if no one is listening or asking in the right way.

Comment

Glad to hear you have it settled. From the sound of where he got the feed , y'all are in some good country.
                      Good Luck this season.

Comment

Good deal. Sounds like a plan. I wish I had someone filling my feeders for me. Good luck this season.

Comment

Just another reason I'm not on a lease. When I pay money to hunt deer, that's what I want to do. I don't get on to "feed" deer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                            Just another reason I'm not on a lease. When I pay money to hunt deer, that's what I want to do. I don't get on to "feed" deer!!!
                            Feeding is overrated. I wish the feed/feeder companies marketing wasnt so good.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                              ???
                              Last edited by TENRMORE; 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I want on this lease , do you have any openings?

Comment

Working...
                                X