Need to put my dog to sleep. Question on cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    If a man wanted to save money he never would have got a dog in the first place! I spent money on my dawg for 13.5 years. Food, vet, heartworm meds, no big deal. When it's time to put him down NOW you want to save a dime? That gets under my skin. A good dog don't deserve to be skull drug!

nailed it.....well said Ducko.
    I did it once for a friend albeit a younger dog...and never, never, never will I do it again.....especially for one of my own. I am glad I had to do one for somebody else before I even even considered doing it for myself.
    Last edited by Smart; 05-31-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
      Not real sure what to say here. I've had to put a few great dogs down, and both were done by a vet properly. I really guess I don't get the whole " I love my dog so much that I'll blast him in the head with a gun" mentality. Absolutely no way for a dog to go. My wife is a vet, and IMO she does it right. Animal is first knocked out to sleep peacefully, and then the euthanasia drug is administered. One, the owner has some time with the dog sleeping peacefully, and two, when the euthanasia drug is administered, there is no kind of violent behavior, they just go peacefully. Last thing I would ever want to be the last memory is of my dog with a bloody mess coming out of its head with a bulging eyeball.
      Agree 100%
      When my hound (avatar pic) was 14 and had to be put down I was a wreck. Our vet and her staff were terrific. Worth every penny. The last thing my dog saw was me petting her as she dozed off.

There is a traveling vet here that will euthanize a pet at your home.

Comment

We had our lab put down a year or two ago. I think it was in the $60 range. The vet actually puts out a sign letting people know that someone is saying goodbye and asks for quiet. It was very peaceful, I guess sedating prior to the other medication, no twitching or movement, they just get still. My oldest son went in with me, and it was a "pleasant" (as much as possible experience).
        They helped us load in the truck, and made sure we didn't have to walk through people (didn't want to scar any kids).

For a pet, I also believe they deserve the best, cattle, barn cats things like that I might consider the alternative, but they aren't really family.

Sorry for your loss.

Comment

I'm sure sorry that you have to go through this. Tough deal to have all of this at the end of her life. Hugs and prayers to you.

Comment

Comment

There is no way I would put a bullet to my dog's head! Anyone who would do such a thing to a loved pet is an idiot!! And I don't give 2 ****s if that was 'how you were raised'.

Comment

Mine was an emergency and I needed it done ASAP. My vet is just a few blocks from the house. I got him loaded up and over there and didn't question the cost. I just told him to hurry up and end it. He charged me 45 and that is including body disposal. Oh, and this was THAT dog. The once in a lifetime dog.

Comment

Shooting a family pet is HARD. I had to do it to put our dog out of her misery. Horrible accident where she got rolled under my truck. I was not going to put her through anymore pain just because I couldn't pull the trigger. That vet ride would have been horrible for her (pain). Very different situation but still, pulling the trigger is HARD.

If you choose to do it your self, get a shot from a vet and take the dog out for a nice farewell.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                    Shooting a family pet is HARD. I had to do it to put our dog out of her misery. Horrible accident where she got rolled under my truck. I was not going to put her through anymore pain just because I couldn't pull the trigger. That vet ride would have been horrible for her (pain). Very different situation but still, pulling the trigger is HARD.

If you choose to do it your self, get a shot from a vet and take the dog out for a nice farewell.
                    If I was faced with a situation like that I would just have to do it. If my dog would have been out in the woods with me far from a vet when he went south I would have just had to end his misery no matter how miserable it would have been for me. But as it was, I was 2 mins from the vet and he was not in any pain he just wasn't able to breathe very good anymore. He had been going downhill due to age but something in him went South. He had a rattle in his chest and I believe his chest cavity was filling with fluid and collapsing his lungs cause him to struggle for each breath. I'm glad I was home and glad I was near my vet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                      Not real sure what to say here. I've had to put a few great dogs down, and both were done by a vet properly. I really guess I don't get the whole " I love my dog so much that I'll blast him in the head with a gun" mentality. Absolutely no way for a dog to go. My wife is a vet, and IMO she does it right. Animal is first knocked out to sleep peacefully, and then the euthanasia drug is administered. One, the owner has some time with the dog sleeping peacefully, and two, when the euthanasia drug is administered, there is no kind of violent behavior, they just go peacefully. Last thing I would ever want to be the last memory is of my dog with a bloody mess coming out of its head with a bulging eyeball.
                      This ^^ If you really consider your fur baby a loved one in your home and part of the family and more than just a dog in your world.. I pay 95.00 in Ennis... Would pay 395 if that is what it took...

Comment

I have been involved in a few self performed euthanizations, and no way am I doing that to one of my dogs. In 2009 and 2010 just 6 months apart we lost both of our dogs. Both were done at the vet, both went to sleep peacefully. I cried for both. No bloody mess, no flopping, etc. I do not want that to be the last memory of my beloved pets. We paid around $100-125 each time but that was in PA so that is no help. We have never had a dog afraid of the vet so we didn't have to deal with the shaking scared dogs others mention. But if we did I would try to find one that could come to the house so they could go out where they love to be. But it would still be done without a gun shot and a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                          She does deserve more. What dog looks forward to a trip to the vet.

Take her somewhere that hold fond memories, spend some quality time and give her a snack. Then turn the lights out. No fear suffering or anxiety. If you can't pull the trigger then someone who can for you.

To me we owe it to our pets no matter how hard it may be.

Mine won't be skaking and scared in the vests office, it will be in the back yard after a ride in the truck and a snack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                          Last time I had to put my Lab down I got her in the truck. She loved truck rides. My Vet meet me and put her down in the truck. That's the way to put her down without stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            There is no way I would put a bullet to my dog's head! Anyone who would do such a thing to a loved pet is an idiot!! And I don't give 2 ****s if that was 'how you were raised'.
                            Well said sir.

Comment

We have paid around $200 twice in the last couple years but our Vet comes to the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                Yeah I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X