He wouldn’t listen to me if you did! [emoji23][emoji23]

Tell Alan he did a great job on that brisket[emoji23]

Comment

looks good fellows, keep em coming!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Tell Alan he did a great job on that brisket[emoji23]

[emoji23][emoji23]
        That’s the one we cooked while working on my pit. It turned out so good because we just let it ride and didn’t jack with it because we were too busy. It’s funny because the ones we cook at competitions don’t turn out this good because we babysit them too much.
        Lesson learned. [emoji16]

Comment

Well......it is started

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the key to having the brisket so well barked and yet so moist on the inside? Not leaving it on too long?

Comment

GA, Briskets are tricky to master. You have to cook long enough to get the fat rendered but not overcook it. Fire management is critical too. I think they need to get up to an internal temp of 200° or a little higher. Once they hit the high 190°s it becomes a matter of feel to me, they should probe tender in the point and the flat. It takes a lot of practice, I have a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                What is the key to having the brisket so well barked and yet so moist on the inside? Not leaving it on too long?
                I smoke mine for 6 hours at as close to 250 degrees as i can maintain. Take the brisket off and wrap it in preferably red butcher paper but any unlined butcher paper will do. Put it back on the smoker for a couple hours until internal meat temperature reaches between 195-200.....take it off the smoker, leave it wrapped put it in an ice chest AND LET IT REST FOR 1.5-2 HOURS!!!!!! resting the meat is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IMHO

The butcher paper is what gives you the good bark and moistness
                Last edited by K. Lane; 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

The smellavision is killing me

Looking good boys!

Comment

Put these two on at 6 am.
                    Beans, corn on the cob and brisket stuffed peppers later.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	24540062

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post

Bark is a combination of rendered fat, your rub and layered smoke. You have to have enough of the layered smoke to make the dark bark. There is no set time to do that. It’s a look you know when it’s there. I usually wrap around 160-165 or at the stall whichever comes first. Unless the bark is still not right.... I’ll leave it open until it is. But usually around 165 it’s good to go. Wrap in foil, finish out to around 200 internal and start proving for tenderness with my thermoplastic instant read thermo. Also checking temps while I prove. You want the price to pass through easily.

90% of briskets that are dry are underdone. The connective tissue and collagen start breaking down at 185-190 and add the important finishing moisture. Again. I wrap at 160-165 or the stall (whichever comes first) and push to 200 and start probing for doneness. I have taken it to 203-205 until it happens if needed. And in some pieces of meat it takes that. 200-201 is usually the magic number though. Every cook is different though.... Rarely have a brisket done under 200 internal. Just my experience. Rest in a cooler with a towel for 1-2 hours.

I have had great bark without wrapping, wrapping in foil and in butcher paper. I prefer to wrap though and in foil at that.. the moisture content is better wrapping. Every cook is different though...
                      Last edited by Smart; 05-27-2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Bark is a combination of rendered fat, your rub and layered smoke. You have to have enough of the layered smoke to make the dark bark. There is no set time to do that. It’s a look you know when it’s there. I usually wrap around 160-165 or at the stall whichever comes first. Unless the bark is still not right.... I’ll leave it open until it is. But usually around 165 it’s good to go. Wrap in foil, finish out to around 200 internal and start proving for tenderness with my thermoplastic instant read thermo. Also checking temps while I prove. You want the price to pass through easily.

90% of briskets that are dry are underdone. The connective tissue and collagen start breaking down at 185-190 and add the important finishing moisture. Again. I wrap at 160-165 or the stall (whichever comes first) and push to 200 and start probing for doneness. I have taken it to 203-205 until it happens if needed. And in some pieces of meat it takes that. 200-201 is usually the magic number though. Every cook is different though.... Rarely have a brisket done under 200 internal. Just my experience. Rest in a cooler with a towel for 1-2 hours.

I have had great bark without wrapping, wrapping in foil and in butcher paper. I prefer to wrap though and in foil at that.. the moisture content is better wrapping. Every cook is different though...
                        According to this it isn’t the fat but rather a complex chemical reaction called Maillard, aka DRIP (diffusion restricted irreversible polymerization) forms the pellicle.

Bark is that sweet, rich, crusty surface on low and slow cooked meat, and for many of us, the best part. It is part pellicle and part spice crust, but how does it form? The Maillard reaction, polymerization, and evaporation are key. Find out how to get better bark on your brisket, ribs, and pork shoulder.

I have by no means perfected it, and it’s a battle using a Kamado style cooker

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          According to this it isn’t the fat but rather a complex chemical reaction called Maillard, aka DRIP (diffusion restricted irreversible polymerization) forms the pellicle.

Bark is that sweet, rich, crusty surface on low and slow cooked meat, and for many of us, the best part. It is part pellicle and part spice crust, but how does it form? The Maillard reaction, polymerization, and evaporation are key. Find out how to get better bark on your brisket, ribs, and pork shoulder.

I have by no means perfected it, and it’s a battle using a Kamado style cooker

Sorry to not be specific....We rednecks call it rendered fat or liquid. No way in hell do I show up at a BBQ and talk about a "pellicle or maillard". Save that **** for Buffy and Babs down at the country club... Your link says the reaction is a mix of liquid, the rub and smoke.. I'll keep it at that.

Hey Earl....you got your Pellicle rolling yet? Clem...have you hit your Maillard yet?

Comment

Sorry to not be specific....We rednecks call it rendered fat or liquid. No way in hell do I show up at a BBQ and talk about a "pellicle or maillard". Save that **** for Buffy and Babs down at the country club... Your link says the reaction is a mix of liquid, the rub and smoke.. I'll keep it at that.

Hey Earl....you got your Pellicle rolling yet? Clem...have you hit your Maillard yet?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

[QUOTE=Thwackdaddy;13396794]Well......it is started
                              [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180527/6dbe0f0ce7e2424bdb157e6c0360f3ae

I have those same grill but can’t seem to keep good constant temp low like that. Any advice? Thanks!

Comment

To be honest......it is very hard to keep it constant. Mine varies between 250 and 300.... i keep it closer to 250 by keeping a very close eye on it and when it gets to high, i open the firebox lid to let heat escape. I also keep only 3-4 pieces of applewood in at a time smoldering. I keep the heat source small and more easily controlled.
                                I soak the wood in an ice chest full of water overnight so it is really wet and that helps it burn slower and smoke more.

Keeping the smoke in was an issue too. I bought high temp gasket material in the cooking section of academy to seal the smoker and firebox lids. That also helps control the temp as well

Comment

Working...
                                X