Fraud in a fishing Tournament - Decker Lake Austin TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
    What am I missing here? They cheat and should be punished but to me that punishment should be within the sport, etc. Bans, fines, etc.

I'm not sure I agree with jail, fines, etc for cheating in a fishing tournament. To me that would be the same as using a loaded bat in a baseball/softball tournament and I can't imagine having the law involved in something like that. Or maybe more relevant, Barry Bonds being arrested for cheating in baseball. He maybe should have been arrested for illegal substances but not for cheating even in MLB...
    When the Prize money is big dollars you are committing fraud

Comment

Used to fish the Oilman's tournament on Toledo Bend. Those Louisiana boys won just about every time. Some of those bass were scarred up like a logging mule. You know, like they might have been in a live box for a couple weeks.........

Comment

I saw this on the news last night. I am not shocked but the thing that does irritate me about this one is that he is suppose to be setting an example for those kids as a teacher and mentor. Not a good example to set for the youth.

Comment

Next thing you know they’ll be raising bass to enter in contests. Like they do in the deer contests.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            If’n ya ain’t cheatin, ya ain’t tryna!
            Ahhhh, the SEC mantra.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
              When the Prize money is big dollars you are committing fraud
              I can see that, but isn't their big money in all sports? I don't remember hearing anything about criminal charges, fraud, etc. with deflated footballs and that was the super bowl. Maybe I don't remember it all. Or maybe is it because it is an individual sport vs team? Or because it is more direct cheating? I.E. actual numbers being changed vs gaining an advantage to improve numbers (PED's, corked bats/vaseline, deflated footballs, etc.)?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Used to fish the Oilman's tournament on Toledo Bend. Those Louisiana boys won just about every time. Some of those bass were scarred up like a logging mule. You know, like they might have been in a live box for a couple weeks.........
                I was lucky enough to place 11th on the Oilmans on TB several years ago. Lucky being the key word. It would not surprise me that these things go on. Now i just fish the tourneys for fun and a chance to win some good door prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                  Ahhhh, the SEC mantra.
                  Don't be mad because your conference is inferior

Comment

Dang fisherman, need to take poaching lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                      Ahhhh, the SEC mantra.
                      You misspelled "Alabama"

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                        Lead weights stuffed into the belly.
                        Cutting the tail to shorten length on slot lakes.
                        Catching fish days before the tournament begins and keeping them alive to weigh in on tournament day.
                        Using live bait to catch fish during tournaments designated as artificial only.
                        Telephoning.
                        Snagging.
                        The list goes on & on.
                        i belong to the nebraska walleye association we have 4 pages of rules for tournament fishing because people have tried to win by cheating. any time money is on the line some people cheat,4 grand for 1st place in our last tournament,( we pay up to 8th place based on number of teams) game & parks will also fine and ban cheaters frm fishing and tournament events for up to 5 years,also in surrounding states.we also can give polygraphs if needed.

Comment

I can see that, but isn't their big money in all sports? I don't remember hearing anything about criminal charges, fraud, etc. with deflated footballs and that was the super bowl. Maybe I don't remember it all. Or maybe is it because it is an individual sport vs team? Or because it is more direct cheating? I.E. actual numbers being changed vs gaining an advantage to improve numbers (PED's, corked bats/vaseline, deflated footballs, etc.)?
                          Other sports don't play directly for money. They are paid salaries. In fishing you are playing for yours and other peoples entry fees and in some cases prizes such as boats.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            In golf scrambles the last score happens to be the best score of the day.
                            Especially if there is a purse involved
                            I play in a lot of tournaments and this is always the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                              I play in a lot of tournaments and this is always the case.
                              I've only played in one because a friend asked me to and that is 100% what happened.

Comment

The players are paid a salary. Fishing tournaments you are competing for prize money, were you and other participants paid an entry fee.

Cheating in fishing tournaments happens all the time unfortunately, one reason I don't fish them any more. A few years ago I was chatting with another competitor at the weigh in, he mention they had struggled that morning. He called his Dad that was also entered in the tournament to see how they were doing. Dad said they were around a bunch of fish, told him where and he went a caught a big limit, enough to cash a check. That communications is a form of cheating based on the rules of this tournament trail.

Comment

Working...
                                X