BEWARE when selling anything with a license plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by millman View Post
    I know a lot of folks know this BUT for those who don't.....make sure when selling anything with a license plate that you pull your plate before you let it go!! And don't forget you need a bill of sale!

I sold a trailer on TBH in June of 2016 to someone who will not answer my PM's. I am out hundreds of dollars paying toll fees that are not mine and I can't stop the bleeding because the person has not registered the trailer in their name. To tack on insult to injury, I did not get a bill of sale to prove it was sold and no longer mine. Yay me.......

I usually don't get on here with non sense but sure wish I would have thought better and maybe my ignorance can help someone else.....
    So is it common for people to pull their plates off used car or trailer when they sell it at their house before someone drives off with it? I have never done this before or had it done to me. What about the police on the road home? I guess it would speed up the process of getting it into their name!

Comment

This is what I would like to do especially with the toll fees over $100 just last month! But I am sure it could back fire badly.
      No sir, if he paid cash and there is no bill of salel or proof of a transaction I would report it stolen in a heart beat! He has had plenty of opportunity to answer you and make it right

Comment

Comment

I wouldn't pay the toll bill. Surely if they have pics of the trailer license plate, they'd have pics of the truck plates, and see it was being pulled by a vehicle that isn't registered to you.

Comment

You know where he lives? Go get your plates back. Or the whole trailer since there is no bill of sale.

Comment

Go to the DMV and tell them your tag was stolen, pay $10 for a new plate. Problem solved

Comment

My mother in law GIFTED a suburban to a guy who ran up hundreds of dollars in tolls
                I called it in as stolen and he spent a weekend in jail and suburban was impounded and sold at auction

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                  No sir, if he paid cash and there is no bill of salel or proof of a transaction I would report it stolen in a heart beat! He has had plenty of opportunity to answer you and make it right
                  If I knew where it was.....soooo tempting.

Comment

Sold car

I sold my car yesterday , pulled toll tag off called txdottoll told them to take car off my name because its sold ... they told me I will not get billed even if they do run the toll road because i called and said it's no longer my car .

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      I wouldn't pay the toll bill. Surely if they have pics of the trailer license plate, they'd have pics of the truck plates, and see it was being pulled by a vehicle that isn't registered to you.
                      I was told by the nice folks at TxTag....who ever the trailer is registered by is responsible no matter who's pulling it. Now, getting the tag number of the truck pulling my "stolen trailer" sounds interesting if there's not a applicable fix....

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                        So is it common for people to pull their plates off used car or trailer when they sell it at their house before someone drives off with it? I have never done this before or had it done to me. What about the police on the road home? I guess it would speed up the process of getting it into their name!
                        I did on the traile rI just sold with a bill of sale dated that day if eh gets pulled over for no plate on teh wa yhome he shows the bill of sale

Comment

I was told by the nice folks at TxTag....who ever the trailer is registered by is responsible no matter who's pulling it. Now, getting the tag number of the truck pulling my "stolen trailer" sounds interesting if there's not a applicable fix....
                          not what ther faq says

Can I use my TxTag if I'm pulling a trailer with my vehicle?
                          Yes. Sensors in the road will detect the trailer and take the additional charge for the trailer from your account.

Comment

If you know what tolls he is using regularly I’d set up and wait for him to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                              exactly... why I would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                                You can declare a tag as sold when selling used vehicles. There is a form you fill out and fax in to the state. It works for vehicles, so I don't see why they wouldn't have one that works for a trailer. Both have plates and titles. The way it was explained to me, the form takes the vehicle out of your name so you aren't hit with tolls and photo tickets. They just keep them on file until the new owner registers the vehicle in their name. That's the way it was explained to me by the lady at the DPS headquarters in Austin.

This can now be done on-line as well. I've done it for a car I sold and forgot to get the buyer's info. I had sold it for scrap.

Comment

Working...
                                X