X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly I'm doing it wrong.

following

Comment

Like was said above, pre rut gets me the most action but a lot of youngsters while later in the season seems to be better for mature bucks.. Mature deer can be slower to respond say be patient. Don't move to quickly.
      Your doe numbers will play a big part in your rattling success.
      I have had numerous people tell me that it doesn't work in Brazoria county and I literally lost count, years ago, of how many bucks that I have rattled in this county.. Unfortunately it works best in early September. A month before Bow season even starts...
      Last edited by PondPopper; 05-24-2018, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Here is a pretty good 8 that Riley rattled in this past yr. He came within about 10 yds of us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	23794845_717599111761937_3611625331780878231_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	24539926

Click image for larger version

Name:	23795136_717599235095258_6922945674439531213_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	24539927

Comment

Lots of good help from every one. I will keep it in mind and just try different times during the season.

Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
            Like was said above, pre rut gets me the most action but a lot of youngsters while later in the season seems to be better for mature bucks.. Mature deer can be slower to respond say be patient. Don't move to quickly.
            Your doe numbers will play a big part in your rattling success.
            I have had numerous people tell me that it doesn't work in Brazoria county and I literally lost count, years ago, of how many bucks that I have rattled in this county.. Unfortunately it works best in early September. A month before Bow season even starts...

Hunted Brazoria county growing up. My brother and I use to walk around our place in rosharon and rattle in October and could get bucks to turn up fairly often. We never bow hunted so we never got lucky because once rifle season opened those deer would disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had better luck with the more mature bucks early in the rut. I've always heard that in early rut & a buck hears a fight he will come in quick. With only a few does in heat at that point in time, he does not want to miss his chance.

Good luck sir.

Comment

Mid bow season I rattled in a couple small deer. This was my first time trying it. One was in a clearing and I rattled hard off and on for about 30 minutes waited 15 then said I’m done and I got up and there was a 3 pointer staring at me about 30 yards away. I had a barrier of a berry thicker behind me and I was under a young pine with low limbs. Just wait and when you’re ready to get up and move wait some more!

Comment

One of the thing that I learned over the years is you won't rattle in many big mature bucks using small dinky antlers. My favorite pair is a 150 class 8 point. They are heavy and have a deep sound. When you get after it with these if the dominant buck is in the area he will come see who's in his territory. And the smaller bucks come in to watch the fight as well.

Comment

Never rattled in a buck. I did turn 2 bucks last year with a grunt tube that came within 20 yards last year. However, Ive had about elevendy billion not even pay attention to grunting

Comment

I grunted in 10 bucks within 40 yards this past season in Madisonville on October 20th. Rattled the next day and nothing. I stopped trying with the rattling out there.

Comment

The extinguisher grunt tube has been a big tool in my hunting. I’ve had bucks to walk within yards of my stand with it all over Texas. Turned around a nice ten point we startled walking into an evening set.

Comment

Working...
                        X