No announcement yet.

From Boat to Yak and Vice Versa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a bass boat and have been thinking of a kayak. But I liked the room to roam around on the deck, dog could come with, and staying dry. Looks like a kayak you better plan on being wet ( at least your feet, or more), alone, and cramped for space. They do look fun though. I have a belly boat, and I think a kayak would be far better then it, but not nearly what a boat can do.

Comment

The wet thing goes both ways I never really end up all that wet. Although when its hot sticking your legs over the sides fishing is really nice and cools you off

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
      I had a bass boat and have been thinking of a kayak. But I liked the room to roam around on the deck, dog could come with, and staying dry. Looks like a kayak you better plan on being wet ( at least your feet, or more), alone, and cramped for space. They do look fun though. I have a belly boat, and I think a kayak would be far better then it, but not nearly what a boat can do.

Comment

Yak to Boat: Easier to get somewhere now. I gained 4 inches on my waist within a year. cut my fishing trips in half or more. Had to have somewhere to store the boat ($100 a month). Replacing little things costs more. Tackle storage options changed. Able to freelance more in the boat, and change tactics more easily.

Boat to Yak: I'll let you know. Hopefully Soon.

Comment

No brainer for me.....BOAT. You can do so much more with a boat besides just fish. I have a 22" CC bay boat but we use it more just playing at the lake. Swimming, dragging kids in tube, boat riding, plus fishing. My son can brings friends along too. A lot of times we go set jug lines out then go play and periodically go run the lines. Everyone has a great time.

Comment

I got caught up in the kayak scene pretty hard the last few years. Pretty much had EVERY big boy kayak made from NuCanoe, Hobie, Jackson, Malibu, WS, and Ocean Kayak.

The best one of the lot was the Jackson Big Rig for fishing, and the Malibu X-Factor for paddling- at least for me. The Hobie PA was also very nice (had 3 of them) but needed a trailer.

But I gave it all up and sold all of my kayaks. The only time I can really fish is during the summer, and nothing says 'sunburn' or heat exhaustion more than sitting less than 12" away from a nice reflective surface during a hot summer July day with no breeze. And fishing alone from a kayak is always an unsettling feeling when power boats plow right near you.

Needless to say, I will find myself back in a boat sometime soon!

Comment

Both....I had kayaks before I had boats, now I still have my 2 yaks and I have a 19' Nitro sitting in the garage. I rarely use the kayaks except when we go to the coast. But they are out of the way and I have them if I ever decide to do something different.

Comment

what about yak to solo skiff

I'm thinking of going from yak to solo skiff.

anybody have a solo skiff?
                Attached Files

Comment

Depends on the size of water you fish or play on, and how you like to fish. If you like going to the lake, I would get a boat. If you like small lakes, ponds, and rivers get a kayak.

The advantage to a kayak is you aren't likely going to lose near as much money on resale as with a boat. If you bought that 2500 kayak, and need to quick sale you might lose $500. Do that with a boat and it might be $5000 on a new boat... or a major motor repair on a boat $$$$?

Comment

Done both several times. Kayak can limit your range, conditions you fish in, and how many folks you can take fishing. Boats can be expensive(insurance, fuel, maintenance/repair), not get to where a kayak can, and you contend with crowds on water. All that being said, I sold my boat yesterday and already looking for another.

Comment

I like my kayak but it got old real quick. I will be getting a boat in the near future.

Comment

I have both. Fish the paddle boat up the river for whites in the winter and marsh for reds in the fall. After that its boat

If you enjoy fishin enough a yak simply aint enough

Comment

A lot of valid points have been made. If and when we have kids I will buy a boat.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Homemade

Yak for a pond or small lake homemade out of political sign
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-24-2018, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Had boats early in life and then ended up in kayaks. Mostly bought them for the access to saltwater, including offshore, but used them in freshwater also. Ended up spending a bunch of money on a Hobie pro angler and loved it. Caught lots of fish and made a ton of memories. I just recently retired and am in the process of buying a nice center console. The yaks are a blast and have there place buts its time for me to get back in a boat. Probably put the yaks up for sale soon. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X