No announcement yet.

Menard 2018-2019 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from a slow weekend myself. I’ve seen one mature deer all year. Young deer all over the place but even a mature doe is hard to come by. I’m looking forward to spring turkey hunting.

Comment

Menard 2018-2019 season thread

Originally posted by chewjr View Post
      I just got back from a slow weekend myself. I’ve seen one mature deer all year. Young deer all over the place but even a mature doe is hard to come by. I’m looking forward to spring turkey hunting.

Haha, forgot about the does.

Looking for a swayback was equally as hard no matter the sex.

I did get to brake in my 10 on a gift of a doe on Saturday.

She went 110#, so wasn't too shabby.
      (She was slightly quartering away, bullet broke offside shoulder/leg)

Last edited by DaveC; 01-06-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

Good deal. We had a 4.5 year old 7pt at the feeder this morning. My girlfriend took a long shot at him as he was about to disappear until next season and missed him. Hopefully next year will produce some better quality.

Comment

Crappy year all around.
          Too wet and not enough cold. It was near 70* this closing weekend.

Just throwing this out there for comparison......
          We have a 100 acre plot planted with winter wheat.
          This year the average deer count feeding on it was 3.
          Last year we had an average of about 80 deer through out December.

Comment

Menard hunting this year was very strange to say the least. Bucks dominated the feeders all year, All our does disappeared and we were overrun by hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

(She was slightly quartering away, bullet broke offside shoulder/leg)

Congrats on the whopper doe. Our biggest so far has been 92 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                Crappy year all around.

That’s crazy. I guess Mother Nature had a better menu

Comment

Crappy year all around.

That is crazy.
                  Must be some UFO’s in the area sucking them all up when no ones looking.

Originally posted by SV72 View Post
                  Congrats on the whopper doe. Our biggest so far has been 92 pounds.

Thanks, that number is based on somewhat fuzzy math. I didn’t re-zero the scale at first, it was set where the previous user had it. I took this pic with her elevated and thought, that’s too much.

I lowered it back down and zeroed without disconnecting the gambrel, but with no hanging weight and she registered 114, so I deducted a guessed 4# for the gambrel and s hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I cant wait to see all the mature deer show up on camera in 2-3 weeks like they always do

Comment

Just curious if anyone got an exceptional buck this year?
                      I only saw one that would of been a shooter with my bow, but didn’t pull the trigger with my rifle.
                      I think he will be “exceptional” next year and was seen the last weekend of the season.

Comment

I only saw one that would of been a shooter with my bow, but didn’t pull the trigger with my rifle.
                        I think he will be “exceptional” next year and was seen the last weekend of the season.
                        I killed a good one on our place in October..
                        The rest of our "good ones" either disappeared or got shot by the company lease next door.. Again we passed some that we shouldn't have. Live and learn. But we did kill a couple of nice Black Buck...
                        Last edited by PondPopper; 01-13-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I would say that I had one that was a really good 8 with an abnormal point on his base, but nothing that was a standout. We seen very few 10’s and the buck I mention here was MIA after the bow season.....hoping to get him on camera after the season.

Comment

Reports are the same from across the county unless you were feeding 20% protein free choice year round. The problem was last spring was really dry when antler growth was at its peak. It started raining in August and conditions are EXCELLENT now and should be through the early spring which will give antler growth for next season a jump start. Lots of green pickings across the county and burr clover should have a bumper crop.
                            It was just an bad year for antlers in Menard County but next season should be much better...if it will keep raining.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

I cant post pics but we did the last morning. 11 point with flyer off G2. Was extremely shocked at the size compared to what we had seen all year.

Comment

Gary,
                                Thanks for the (hopeful) outlook.
                                We will try to do lunch again next year! haha

Comment

Working...
                                X