Farah’s Back water fishing adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outback View Post
    Or, here's a thought. Perhaps he's had a death, illness or something more important than fishing happen. I got all over an Ebay seller for poor communication only to learn he had been in the hospital in a coma. The trip is in August. Waiting another few days for a good dude seems reasonable.

Agreed, I spoke with him this morning.
    He said he was pulling up to the dock and to text him.
    I wasn’t bashing him in any way,
    Was just simply asking opinions from people that have fished with him before.
    I appreciate your concern and comment
    But you might want to read the entire thread.
    As I had stated above, I had heard he was the best and sometimes you have to book a year in advance.
    Most everyone has said he’s the best and I’m really looking forward to fishing with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A. Loomis, great guide and very dependable. Can’t say the same for Joey.

Comment

I cant add much other than I had a pretty poor experience from a guide some on here recommend. Capt Mike of ReelThreel out of Surfside. Started out the same kinda deal. Wouldnt respond to calls etc. I figured he was busy a lot, and offshore etc so let it go. A few days ahead of time we were all good ( actually talked to him ). We drove down that morning ready to go. First off he was very late showing up. No call, text or whatever letting us know he was late. I called and left message, no response. Sitting there on the dock watching other boats load and roll out. Finally shows up, guys Im with getting irritable, I am trying to not get iritatted, just want to fish. After much hemhawing around he finally says there is a problem with his boats. The one we were supposed to go out in lower unit went out like 2 weeks before, so we were going to go out in the other one. ( bigger and slower ) But it has a hole in it. He said he took it out the day before and the hole wasnt too bad, but it was rough and made the hole worse. So no go.

What gets me, is that he never told us there was a problem with the boat we had agreed we were going out in. No mention whatsoever. I get it, things break. When they do, you call and say my good boat is broke. Are you ok with taking out the other boat?

He gives us the option of rescheduling or deposit back. I vote reschedule ( im a glutton for punishment, plus wanted to give him a chance to make it right, I felt bad his high dollar eqpt was broken ) The other guys were ticked because of the way he handled it and overrode me, they wanted deposit back. He agreed to give it back.

So begins the saga of getting it back. He wouldnt return calls, email, voice mails. Nothing. Repeated requests for like 2 months. The one time he called back he said he was at the deer lease, and would return it as soon as he got back home. Must have been at the lease 6 weeks......

Finally I disputed it with paypal. All of the sudden we were buddies again. All a big mistake. Money returned. Just like magic.
        Last edited by miket; 05-07-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          I cant add much other than I had a pretty poor experience from a guide some on here recommend. Capt Mike of ReelThreel out of Surfside. Started out the same kinda deal. Wouldnt respond to calls etc. I figured he was busy a lot, and offshore etc so let it go. A few days ahead of time we were all good ( actually talked to him ). We drove down that morning ready to go. First off he was very late showing up. No call, text or whatever letting us know he was late. I called and left message, no response. Sitting there on the dock watching other boats load and roll out. Finally shows up, guys Im with getting irritable, I am trying to not get iritatted, just want to fish. After much hemhawing around he finally says there is a problem with his boats. The one we were supposed to go out in lower unit went out like 2 weeks before, so we were going to go out in the other one. ( bigger and slower ) But it has a hole in it. He said he took it out the day before and the hole wasnt too bad, but it was rough and made the hole worse. So no go.

What gets me, is that he never told us there was a problem with the boat we had agreed we were going out in. No mention whatsoever. I get it, things break. When they do, you call and say my good boat is broke. Are you ok with taking out the other boat?

He gives us the option of rescheduling or deposit back. I vote reschedule ( im a glutton for punishment, plus wanted to give him a chance to make it right, I felt bad his high dollar eqpt was broken ) The other guys were ticked because of the way he handled it and overrode me, they wanted deposit back. He agreed to give it back.

So begins the saga of getting it back. He wouldnt return calls, email, voice mails. Nothing. Repeated requests for like 2 months. The one time he called back he said he was at the deer lease, and would return it as soon as he got back home. Must have been at the lease 6 weeks......

Finally I disputed it with paypal. All of the sudden we were buddies again. All a big mistake. Money returned. Just like magic.

WOW!
          I would have been ticked off for sure.
          I’ll be sure to steer clear of that guide

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post

The last guide I used for the past 2yrs is a great fisherman and guide but just wants to catch trout, last year was our 2nd trip with him and we were back at the dock by 10:45.
            We caught our limit but I like catching reds too and no effort was made.
            So this year I want a guide that goes above and beyond to limit out on both species.

Comment

Originally posted by pigstika1978 View Post
              As I had stated above, I had heard he was the best and sometimes you have to book a year in advance.
              Most everyone has said he’s the best and I’m really looking forward to fishing with him.

Glad you got a hold of him and got it worked out. Y'all will have a great time!

Comment

Glad you got ahold of him. I have known Joey for a long time and he is a stand up guide and will put you on fish.

If you still feel leary though Aaron Loomis is a hell of a back up. Known Aaron for a long time as well. Both are equall caliber guides.

Comment

Good deal, I've booked winter trips Months in advance and once deposit was sent, I never heard from the guide until a few days before the trip. August can be tough fishing, your with a good one though. G-Luck

Comment

The last guide I used for the past 2yrs is a great fisherman and guide but just wants to catch trout, last year was our 2nd trip with him and we were back at the dock by 10:45.
                    We caught our limit but I like catching reds too and no effort was made.
                    So this year I want a guide that goes above and beyond to limit out on both species.

IMO the guide better say up front that once you catch your limit of trout he heads back to the dock. I'd want to stay out and catch reds...and then sand trout, hard heads, perch..or anything besides head back in.

Comment

Farah’s Back water fishing adventures

There are several that pull that back to the dock after trout limits garbage. Out of one marina in particular. What’s really ironic is a few of them were crying the worst about the 5 fish limits a few years ago.

I have no idea why people keep booking with them.

Last edited by kyle1974; 05-07-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        IMO the guide better say up front that once you catch your limit of trout he heads back to the dock. I'd want to stay out and catch reds...and then sand trout, hard heads, perch..or anything besides head back in.
                        I agree with this. When I was guiding I had one guide on Buchanan jump my *** For keeping people out. He told me thats not the way "we" do it. I told him People pay for a half day of fishing and thats what Im gonna do. After we would limit I usually used it as an opportunity to scout new areas and find new schools. Always would tell my folks we will fish till noon or until we run out of bait.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          I agree with this. When I was guiding I had one guide on Buchanan jump my *** For keeping people out. He told me thats not the way "we" do it. I told him People pay for a half day of fishing and thats what Im gonna do. After we would limit I usually used it as an opportunity to scout new areas and find new schools. Always would tell my folks we will fish till noon or until we run out of bait.
                          This exactly

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions and reply’s
                            Greatly appreciated.
                            And good talking to you today Chris
                            Hopefully we’ll get to fish together when we get down there[emoji1360][emoji476]

Comment

Joey's a good guy and a good guide you'll have a good time.

When you guys book guides you need to ask up front about their fees. Do they do half day charters and full day charters? What time does each of those charters begin and what time do they end?

Make sure that you know that before hand. If a guide's half day is until 2 in the afternoon then you paid to fish until 2...not to head in after catching your trout.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                                Wife and I went with Joey last year, I learned a bunch from him. If you are not successful in reaching him check out Grant Coppin, Geronimo Leal, Ryan Sinclair, Daniel Land...and the list goes on. These are good guys for a family trip.
                                I've fished with two of those guides. I can't say enough about Geronimo. He's awesome. The first time out with him 5 years ago he kept us out well beyond the agreed upon charter time because he wanted to get my son a limit of reds after we limited on trout. He works his tail off. Needless to say, I'm a repeat customer. The other guy.....not so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X