No announcement yet.

My Harley was repossessed by mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a buddy get his bass boat towed from his apartment. When he went to pick it up, the boat and trailer were damaged. He went to small claims and won. The tow company simply ignored him. He was told to file a lien on the companies property. In talking to someone else, he was told that a lien won't mean a thing, because the company would never seek to sell the property, making the lien inconsequential. I don't know a thing about liens, so I am not sure if this is true. Needless to say, after another 18 months of back and forth in small claims court, he got,....wait for it,......nothing. He finally gave up and fixed the boat and trailer out of his own pocket. A few years later the movie "Liar, Liar" came out with the infamous impound scene:

Fletcher (played by Jim Carry): You scratched my car!
    Impound Guy: Where?
    Fletcher: [Showing him exactly] Right there!
    Impound Guy: Oh. That was already there.
    Fletcher: You - liar! You know what I'm going to do about this?
    Impound Guy: What?
    Fletcher: Nothing! Because if I take it to small claims court, it will just drain eight hours out of my life and you probably won't show up and even if I got the judgment you'd just stiff me anyway; so what I am going to do is **** and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!
    Motorpool Guy: You've been here before, haven't ya? [winks]

If it was a different situation, like it was damaged by a shop, you could call a local media consumer advocate and lean on them with the threat of bad publicity. Unfortunately, tow companies are so reviled, that the publicity doesn't hurt their bottom line.

The whole thing stinks and there aren't a lot of viable courses of action for the little guy!

cricman

Comment

Keep fighting em, crumpling up important paperwork is probably why they are in the predicament they are in anyways.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

File a lien on the owners residence if that is possible. He will have to straighten it out before he can sell the residence. It also has a negative effect on credit.

Comment

My goodness. What a mess!

Our legal system is NOT set up to take care of the honest man.

Comment

You mess with a mans bike

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
              Gonna lawyer up now. It’s been 18 days since the appeal was filed and. Still haven’t heard from th court. Not sure what hats up?
              Have you contacted the court for a status report?

Comment

Finally read this whole thing. WOW, what a mess. Way to go OP in staying with it!

GET SOME!!!!!

Comment

Got a letter from the repo guys lawyer wanting to inspect the bike. “Filed for discovery”. I still haven’t heard from the court saying that there’s a trial set. Don’t think I should talk to their lawyers until I actually hear from the court.

I attempted to speak to a local lawyer who was recommended earlier in this thread, but his assistant said he wanted $350 “cash only” simply to talk to me for an initial consultation. Sounds like that’s a way to run me off without actually telling me “no”. I’ll talk to a few other lawyers.

Comment

Bring back the old days when a 55 gallon barrel of whoopazz was an appropriate remedy.

Comment

I can’t believe this. What did your insurance company ever say or did I miss that part?

Comment

This is insane.... the picture of your bike strapped down made me cringe

Comment

I don't understand why you wont get your insurance company involved? Have you talked to them to see what, if anything, they can do? I would at least try that before I pay for a lawyer. Definitely a crappy deal

Comment

If your arent already videoing any of this then you really :
                            a) dont want restitution
                            or
                            b) dont understand the true ferocious power of youtube and social media.

Comment

Have read this whole thread, simply amazing. Guy is obviously a slime ball, I really commend you for your tenacity and hope you get your money.

Comment

Stay with it!

Comment

Working...
                                X