No announcement yet.

Flat bed trailer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're gonna want a weight distributing hitch, regardless of actual weight. A trailer that long, on the bumper is gonna buck you. And most definitely brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trailerman3 View Post
      You’ll be close to the limit gvwr with truck and you’ll definitely need brakes on trailer.
      tundra crew can pull 10k per sticker

Comment

Flat bed trailer question

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post

Yep, you'll be ok. Just think about weight distribution when you decide where to position the axles so that the tongue weight doesn't exceed the the max WR of your rear truck axle, and more importantly, the tires. You can adjust that tongue weight with a load distributing hitch some, but you still want a good balance. I'd guess you'll want around 1000lbs of adjusted tongue weight.

Too many people use the weight distributing hitch to try to get their truck level, but that's not what you want. You still want the back of the truck to sag some..like it's loaded.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-02-2018, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Blinds

Mitch let me know when you get a trailer full of blinds headed this way.I have been waiting for someone to bring a load of krivoman blinds to the orange Texas.

Comment

I'd also suggest putting some airbags in the rear. They're relatively cheap, easy to install and really help the ride. Also, if you put bags in, set the weight distributing hitch with air in the bags. I've seen guys effectively unload their hitch bars when they put air in their bags.

Comment

My travel trailer is 32 foot living area and 36 overall length. I pull it with a crew max tundra and it weighs 8600 dry. You shouldnt have any issues but I would pull it a equalizer hitch just to help with the trailer bucking due to the length.

You could get away without trailer brakes, but since they are prewired in the tundra and cheap no reason not to have them, IMO.

Comment

Look in the side of your drivers door to see what your payload capacity is. That’s not the same as towing capacity. Payload is the amount of weight that can be placed in the vehicles axles. My dad has a 17’ Tuundra Crew and it only has 1350ish payload. A 7000 lb bumper pull trailer and you shouldn’t overload it, but if you have accessories on your truck like bumpers, steps, etc they all take away from payload. Not saying your truck couldn’t handle it, but the DPS may look at it differently. Basically just try to keep your truck as light as possible when pulling that load.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                  Mitch let me know when you get a trailer full of blinds headed this way.I have been waiting for someone to bring a load of krivoman blinds to the orange Texas.
                  we deliever all over, but never just have a random load going somewhere. So you will need to get on the list then we can bring it to you. Fee is not much for delievery especially if you get 3 or 4 guys to buy blinds and split cost.

Example we charge $300 to deliever 3 hours from here. it is $100 more each hour.
                  So 4 hours is $400. get 3-5 guys to buy a blind, then you split the $400 by 3- 5 and it is next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    My travel trailer is 32 foot living area and 36 overall length. I pull it with a crew max tundra and it weighs 8600 dry. You shouldnt have any issues but I would pull it a equalizer hitch just to help with the trailer bucking due to the length.

You could get away without trailer brakes, but since they are prewired in the tundra and cheap no reason not to have them, IMO.

You almost have the same setup trailer wise i have. 31 long camper, 35 tongue to end. weights 9000lbs. I have electric brakes on the tundra already. That was super easy to install.

Comment

dont want to buy a 3/4 ton truck. like my half ton Yota

If that Yota will handle it off the bumper it will do even better with a gooseneck.

Comment

I'm willing to be everyone on here that tows anything with real weight (3000+ lbs) with a half ton has a trailer brake set up. But if you don't please, for your safety and everyone else, please get them. And even if you have a 3/4 or 1 ton, trailer brakes should be considered recommended at 3000lbs and mandatory above 5000lbs. Apologize if this is preachy, I've just seen what happens when you can't stop a trailer.

Comment

Yeah but you also gotta stop it and steer it.

As others have said he sure to consider your gross and combination weights too. Folks don't realize that the tongue weight of a heavier trailer eats up lots of the cargo weight capacity of lighter trucks.

LWD

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X