Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SL1 View Post
    Its generally pretty warm during bow season in the mountains. They do get a freak storm every once in a while though, so be prepared if you're packing in to stay. A gps is helpful also. When I lived there I used cargo pants and long sleeve tee shirts mostly during bow season. Good comfortable running shoes or a light pair of boots on the feet with padded hiking socks. The waterproof stuff cooked my feet and wouldn't let moisture out when you sweat. Getting in shape is important. I never took more than a light pack with game bags and overnight stuff. Shoulder harness fanny pack works great. The elk you take you bag in quarters if you have to and make trips in and out. Through a quarter over your shoulder and start walking! Have fun and get out there...dont over think it. Oh and take a fishing pole!
    Good info, thanks!
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

WOW! Y'all are hitting me up with some great info on this thread, via PM and on YouTube!

Although we still don't have a lot of specifics nailed down on the hunt, and I'm not ready to disclose the unit we're hunting, I did get a few details from Adam this week.

There are 4 hunters that will split into groups of 2. We'll hike the first section together, and then split about 3/4 of the way to our area and set up camp in different areas. The total hike in will be 7-10 miles (about 3/4 of that should be easy with little elevation change).

Because of the camera gear, I've decided to go with a 7200 pack. I'm guesstimating the pack-in weight will be around 50ish pounds, including food and camera gear.
      I'm still evaluating between Kuiu, Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I found a pretty good deal on a Kuiu but I'm still working on some possibilities with the others, as well.

I've been hitting the conditioning pretty hard and am introducing some strength work into the equation as well. Elk101 has some pretty good info for "Workout for the Aging Hunter" (for which I solidly qualify!)

More to come! Thanks again for all the great feedback here and on the YouTube vid!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        WOW! Y'all are hitting me up with some great info on this thread, via PM and on YouTube!

Although we still don't have a lot of specifics nailed down on the hunt, and I'm not ready to disclose the unit we're hunting, I did get a few details from Adam this week.

There are 4 hunters that will split into groups of 2. We'll hike the first section together, and then split about 3/4 of the way to our area and set up camp in different areas. The total hike in will be 7-10 miles (about 3/4 of that should be easy with little elevation change).

Because of the camera gear, I've decided to go with a 7200 pack. I'm guesstimating the pack-in weight will be around 50ish pounds, including food and camera gear.
        I'm still evaluating between Kuiu, Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I found a pretty good deal on a Kuiu but I'm still working on some possibilities with the others, as well.

I've been hitting the conditioning pretty hard and am introducing some strength work into the equation as well. Elk101 has some pretty good info for "Workout for the Aging Hunter" (for which I solidly qualify!)

More to come! Thanks again for all the great feedback here and on the YouTube vid!
        You own the largest hunting forum in Texas. I’m not saying if I was you I would use that for free stuff via advertising.... actually I’m lieing I would have 99% of my gear covered. At very least you should be on Experticity

Don’t forget EXO on packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          You own the largest hunting forum in Texas. I’m not saying if I was you I would use that for free stuff via advertising.... actually I’m lieing I would have 99% of my gear covered. At very least you should be on Experticity

I may or may not have reached out to at least one of the companies to discuss that!
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

I may or may not have reached out to at least one of the companies to discuss that!

Crispi boots is very pro hunting

Comment

Crispi boots is very pro hunting

Cool! I think I just about have my issue resolved, but I'll check em out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

No joke on the free gear. I would work that angle on all the gear.

I just received my EXO 5500 pack. It is put together with quality materials and 8 lbs lighter than my previous frame pack. Can't wait to put it to use, and get it bloody....elk blood.

Comment

Just be sure to get an accurate gps location on were you stash all that heavy camera equipment when you get tired of lugging it around.

Comment

Lot of this is redundant …
                    Extra Release in your bag and in your truck- two is one, three is two
                    Extra "shot in" Bow String in your pack
                    Bowmaster Portable Bow Press G2 BMBP-G2
                    small Hex Key set for bow maintenance
                    Extra Wind Checker Bottle - I use mine non-stop- you cannot beat the wind!!
                    Quality folding tree saw- irreplaceable item- multiple uses
                    Chap Stick- Also works as an emergency candle
                    Eye lubrication Drops - Our Texas Bodies are not accustomed to the dry air
                    Paracord - misc uses & to hang meat if needed
                    Quality Lite rain gear (can rain & sleet at anytime in the mountains)
                    Waterproof/Windproof matches/Bic Lighter/ Vaseline soaked cotton for fire starter
                    Knife sharpener
                    Head lamp w/ extra replacement set batteries
                    GPS- Extra Batteries w/ OnX app- In Colorado you are responsible for your location at all times regardless it there is a fence or not.
                    Package of Dental floss- strong light weight tying needs/pack & equipment repairs
                    Got to have your Hunter Education Card with you when getting your Nonresident License
                    Good pair of Gloves
                    Small Bug head net… there are some no-see ums that appear occasionally that are all teeth
                    Reflective trail tacks – a absolute blessing in the middle of nowhere - just remove them on your trip out
                    Black Zip ties
                    Words of advice---
                    • Never stop in the open, get to a small aspen, spruce or bush…next thing you know three bulls will appear as you are sitting there busted
                    • Take the first open shot! Waiting for him to get from 50 to 30 coming in to a wallow(example), letting him go thru 3 shooting lanes in the process and then he stops at 35 and winds you!
                    • Do not lose your edge tired walking back to camp to come around a corner and find a big 6X6 and a cow 14 yards off the trail on the side of a 60 degree incline slope. Hunt back to camp!
                    • Don’t rush down a trail coming or going, if the elk are there in the area, you can encounter one at any point along the trail
                    • If you can fool the lead cow the others will follow , they trust her lead
                    • Check the wind and ... then check the wind and um… check the wind… it is constantly changing direction in the mountains
                    • Remain still if elk come close… you will be amazed how close they will come if you remain still

Good Luck!

Comment

Redundancy is paramount...and expensive! [emoji12]

Good info. A few things I haven't seen mentioned or considered. Thanks!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Glad the oil worked. I’d watch the toe especially if you can simulate downhill with weight. Lost both big toenails on kodiak because of that. James had a great point on the game bags. I started using kuiu the past 2 years and I’m very happy with them. I’ve used one bag for a Muley, elk, and big kitty without any flaws this past year. Easy to wash and reuse. I like the big one, great to layout for a clean place to put meat and it holds a ton.

I’ve also been through several packs. After trying most, the exo 5500 is the best I’ve used bar none. 100 lb loads aren’t a problem with it, though I prefer to not carry that much all at once. Elk 101 has a promo code for 10-20% off somewhere on there. I also really like the slurpy stalker for day trips. Super light and holds just enough for the essentials. Also if you haven’t looked into them, I prefer the sawyer inline water filter. I just bisect the hose on my platypus 3l and mainline it in.

Some pics of both game bag and pack in action this past year.

Comment

Thanks Chris! I looked at an Exo 5500 today at Adam's (and his Stone Glacier 7200) and like them both!

I'm supposed to talk to Aron with Kifaru tomorrow (thanks JT!) and hopefully I can pull the trigger and get a pack on the way!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good catching up with you this weekend Michael, best advice - find a better group of guys to go with

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              Good catching up with you this weekend Michael, best advice - find a better group of guys to go with
                              LOL! Beggars can't be choosers! I enjoyed visiting with you, as well!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                                To start.....its a trip to Colorado not a Trip to the moon. Most first timers take the advice of folks who have never been there and WAY overpack and over gear.

The HUNTING EQUIPMENT NEEDED IS BASIC

the specialty stuff has to do with camping.

I have a Cabelas Alaskan Frame Pack and fill it with the gear I need for a weeks hunt: Clothes, 1 man sleeping bag, 1 man tent, freeze dried food, GPS, paracord, knives, hatchet, iodine water tablets, etc.

I have a basic day pack I use while actually hunting, the frame is too much to carry day in/day out.

Most places you hunt you will make camp close to a truck.....on some of the units we hunt we can use ATV's which we pull trailers behind them and carry dry boxes/ice chests with additional food and camp kitchen stuff and a canvas tent/bigger tents for a more comfortable base camp. Our space allows for 1 gun/1 bow depending on what season your in.

I use Irish Setter 400 gram Vapor boots...right at 2 lbs a piece. you don't want heavy, insulated boots. I'm really big on saving weight....that will fatigue you more than anything. I carry a pack with binos/rangefinder, knives, food, water and my weapon and that's it. Everything else, leave at camp. Clothing, just basic academy realtree clothing but I do spend money on northface and underarmour base layers. Early season I use thin stuff. Don't want to wear stuff that is too warm and heavy. Wool socks are a must....cotton socks are good for starting fires and that's about it.

September hunts are generally mild but you can get rain....bring a rain suit, although I've never needed one. make sure its light weight if your gonna carry it in your pack. Frog Toggs make a decent one that weighs almost nothing.

the only thing I would recommend as a must have is a GPS. not one on your phone a GPS with replaceable batteries to keep from getting lost.

Have fun, good luck. on the first couple trips don't set your expectations too high, enjoy the mountains and get a feel for western hunting.

another cool accessory but not 100% necessary is a Jet boil. makes cooking 100x's easier.

ill leave in the morning and hunt all day. a mid day lunch/nap out on the mountain is a great treat.

One last thing if I haven't mentioned it enough already.....CUT DOWN ON WEIGHT.

Leave the spotting scopes at home. too much weight and not enough opportunities to use them. elk are always moving and the odds of you spotting one at a distance you couldn't see with bino's and getting over to it are extremely slim. A spotting scope is a great tool in a lot of areas....Colorado high country isn't one of them. A lot of areas you won't be able to see more than 100 yards in any direction anyway. Big Binoculars are another thing to leave at home. a basic 10x42 pair is plenty. if you absolutely must pack a pistol, carry a small one like a M&P shield. A heavy handgun is gonna wear you down. you don't need monster knifes or a huge bone saw....I carry a lightweight knife kit and folding saw. Honestly, you probably own all the gear already necessary to get you 90% of the way there....just a few items, like a jet boil and GPS, are all most need to complete their trip.

Colorado Hunting is amazingly simple and one of the most over-talked about and over-complicated topics around the hunting world.

One last thing....bring a zippo lighter and some firestarters. makes that campfire much, much easier to get going
                                x2 keep it as simple as possible, try to acclimate for a day or two, if you go over 10,000 ft the first day there is a chance of getting alt sick.calling in a bull is a lot like turkey hunting, learn elk speak, have fun .I hunted in CO for 25 yrs enjoyed all of them except the first one when I got alt sick.

Comment

Working...
                                X