No announcement yet.

Rating the Hard Coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I have to say is the cooler business is good. People spend some coin on em.
    Never thought I would see the day there was 500+ ice chest...

But I am still using the Igloo's I got 20 years ago... and yes I have replaced the hinges and latches a couple of time.
    It spends 2 months in the field and 10 in the garage.

Comment

Bloodstick -

I don’t know the folks at Frio, just bought some stuff from them.

I actually got the cooler used at a garage sale. Neighbor down the street is issued a new cooler every year at work, so he sells off his old one.

I bought a new drain plug, a light kit, and it has otherwise been trouble free.

Over the last couple of years, I’ve bought one of their mugs and a couple light bar kits to give away as gifts.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I have a garage full of various brands.... yeti, brute, rtic, igloo, coleman, etc. my favorite is my ozark trail.

Comment

I have one yeti and serval orions and the Orion’s are better in every category then my yeti I actually just ordered a 55qt Orion today . Only downfall is their biggest is 85qt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bought 2 Magellan coolers on sale last year. Happy so far. Here’s a review - I like the disclaimer this dude has at the start of the video. Lol

Each of these companies claim to hold ice for 5 days, but do they? High performance cooler ice retention test, including the new cooler from Wal-Mart.Cooler...

Comment

Bison, if nothing else because of the latches. I have zero complaints about my Bison

Comment

I want all of you with 20 year old igloos who love that cheap ice, to pack 4 days worth of food and drinks for 7 people, and carry it all out to the middle of New Mexico when it gets up over 80 degrees. Oh, more ice is an hour drive.

I don't care how close ice is, when I go to the woods...I want to stay in the woods. I work in town, and I don't want to have to go to town when I'm supposed to be in the woods. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Rather than spouting out the name brands, I'm gonna just say which features I look for in my "game" coolers.

1) It has to have a comfortable carry handle. I have an Igloo Yukon that has the molded handles. This is really nice for carrying, but somewhat of a pain for organizing since the handles stick out.

2) It has to have a big drain plug. I like the big 2" drain plug on my Yukon... those little soda bottle top size drain plugs take too long to drain and get clogged easily (call them that because if you loose the drain plug, you can use a pepsi soda bottle top - same thread!)

3) Beefy Hinge. Should be a big pin/bolt and ideally the hinge molded into the lid and bottom, no screwed in plastic hinges, etc.

4) Latches - There are a ton of latch styles... the rubber bungee style seem to work well.

5) Size - I'd rather own two 75 qts instead of one big 150 qt. The 150qt are heavy and expensive. The cheap igloo 150 qts were great for leaving in the garage with a couple deer, but where a pain to move by yourself full of meat/ice. They also had the cheap hinges and latches. Now I'd rather own two 75 qts. Right now I just have the one 75 qt and I can fit a lot in there with less ice, but the ice seems to last a bit longer once the meat gets cooled off!

I plan on buying another 75+/- cooler in the future...
                  Great to see posts like this. When the core of the products are so similar it's the details that matter.

Comment

Bison or Pelican recomended

Comment

Yeti.

Comment

I have 2 YETI and a soft side Bison. Would recommend all of them. They are great for all day use.

Comment

I recommend buying made in USA first
                          Then a paid sponsorship on here ( bison) , all the roto mold coolers are about the same on ice retention

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                            Love my Yetis. I don't care where they are made. Chinese products are usually better then American (look at autos, electronics etc).

They don't support the NRA? Not a deal breaker. If everything I went after like Amazon, Briars Ice Cream etc didn't support my causes I would be empty handed. Fact 101

seriously? what quality cars are made in china?
                            i think your thinking of korea and japan. most stuff from china is ****e.

Comment

Engle for me

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                I want all of you with 20 year old igloos who love that cheap ice, to pack 4 days worth of food and drinks for 7 people, and carry it all out to the middle of New Mexico when it gets up over 80 degrees. Oh, more ice is an hour drive.

I don't care how close ice is, when I go to the woods...I want to stay in the woods. I work in town, and I don't want to have to go to town when I'm supposed to be in the woods. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.
                                Agreed. Doesn't even have to be that tough of circumstances. I don't want to go buy more ice when I'm at the lake for a weekend, and with igloo/coleman we always did. I've forgotten what it's like to make an ice run. Changed our beer buying habits so we don't have to go get more of that either anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X