No announcement yet.

CHL or not ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have one, I keep one in my truck, and if I really feel like I need to carry I will.. that has happened probably 2 times in the last 10 years.. I think some people get the ltc and let it give them a false sense of security and they take more chances that are not needed such as "I can stop here and get gas I don't need to worry about anyone messing with me" instead of "I'll get gas once we get through south Dallas". Also I get stuff happens where you least expect it.. I would carry a lot more if I had one but just haven't done it.. my wife and I were talking last week about getting it this summer..

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I don't have a CHL. I have a gun pretty much everywhere I go. Why don't I take the class? Because you're more likely to be shot taking that class than you are on the street. People that have a CHL aren't trained killers. A good majority of them have probably only shot a gun a hand full of times so no thanks.
      Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning..

Comment

Chl

As that old saying goes, “if you don’t have a gun when you need one, you may never need one again”. The fact that you worry about having to go to court tells me you would be a responsible CHL carrier. But if you are confronted by a knife yielding character at a gas station late at night, just him knowing you won’t put with his BS,because he sees you reach behind your back, might mean you won’t spend the next few weeks recovering from surgery or worse. A friend experienced this. He reached his hand behind his back and told the approaching assailant, “you don’t want to do this.” The guy turned and ran.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
          you think the criminal is going to care about court, innocent bystanders, or law? Be proactive in protecting yourself and your family. Get a chl, keep a chl, carry everyday, be proficient with your weapon of choice, and be vigilant. everything else will fall into place. 99% of concealed carriers will never draw their weapon, but I dont want to be caught off guard if my name is called to be in that 1%. My family's life, my life, my freedoms are why I choose to carry.
          Amen!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

While I do agree there is a portion of the LTC holders that are not experienced gun owners or shooters, I’m almost willing to bet that they don’t carry very often if ever either.

I can’t speak for all LTC instructors, but when my wife my daughter and I also took ours together the instructor only put one person on the range at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Here it's not the same. You line up and shoot 50 rounds at a piece of plywood with tires behind it. I know several people that have got theirs and I've heard stories of people pulling the trigger and hitting the ground right in front of them,a man that had to pull the slide back for his wife and people that couldn't even hit the plywood. There are a lot of people that shouldn't be carrying guns that do. The funny thing is the majority of people that I know with a CHL have been around guns their whole life and rarely carry one. Let me clarify I don't carry a gun but I do have access to one if I'm traveling which is what the majority of CHL holders that I know have one for. I'm not gonna pull a gun on someone for yelling at me or getting mad at me while I'm driving or whatever reasons people tend to pull a gun on other people for. There was a thread about this the other day and most of the stories told about pulling a gun on someone could have been resolved in other ways. To me that's stupid but we all have our own opinions.

I also think it's absurd that you have to get a card that says you're allowed to protect your life or the lives of people around you or that you're qualified to safely carry a gun by shooting 50 holes in a sheet of plywood.
            Last edited by okrattler; 04-21-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Thank ya'll for the honest opinions.
              I understand the 1% time something might happen, and I should be ready. Also, the comfort of having one.
              I also feel it's who has the best lawyer. Whether it be in business or murder. You can have your T's crossed and your I's dotted. I can feel and know I did everything correctly in the situation. It all comes down to the jury. I have been in lawsuits about business where the law states I was right, but the jury thought other( will not elaborate on this, but see it a lot in the business world). This is probably the main reason I don't carry, but I would like to.
              As I get older I try to pride myself on my awareness, but nobody is perfect. I might not be be book smart, but I've always been street smart. I feel this goes along way.

Comment

I have one and carry everywhere I'm allowed because I have 2 daughters and a wife that I have pledged to protect to the best of my ability

Comment

I’ll spend life in prison to keep my family safe...no brainer for me

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
                    I have one and carry everywhere I'm allowed because I have 2 daughters and a wife that I have pledged to protect to the best of my ability
                    amen

Comment

I got mine thinking “just in case” never intending to carry much, if ever. I find that I carry more and more these days.

Comment

I too carry more now, with all that has happened. My son goes off to college this year, he will be 19 in June. He already has planned to get his LTC when he gets 21. Most of us don't carry to "have a gun". IMO I believe we carry in the event we need to protect those we love and care about.

Comment

I don’t have a CHL. My wife has taken the class but I’ve never known her to carry her gun.

I don’t find myself in too many threatening situations. Not saying it couldn’t ever happen, but I don’t worry too much about it.

Comment

I carry every day, even at home. But here is my take as others have said. I am aware at all times of what is going on around me to the best of my ability and if I see something that my gut says is not right I put distance between myself and the problem if possible.

Prime example, the wife and I are eating at a restaurant, we are just finishing up when in walks this unkept guy that just looks to me to be strung out and just all around bad news. A quick glance at him and I can see he has a pistol in his front pocket ( he was printing really bad ) I told the wife we need to leave now and we did. I could have stayed around and waited to see what if anything happened, but i decided to avoid any conflict. He could have been a really nice guy who had a rough night, or he could have been a whack job that was about to start shooting, I don't know, but when the " gut feeling " said leave I did just that.

I have no desire to pull my weapon and it will be a last resort if I ever do.

Comment

Waffle House in Nashville this morn, if someone would have had a gun they possibly could have saved several people, I’m carrying.

Comment

Working...
                              X