Shot placement on a hog with a 22 rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
    Put him on a AR and watch the show. I head shoot them with mine. No tracking necessary.
    This or shoot them in the eye hole, especially if they face you!

Comment

Head shot

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Just be prepared for a screaming, squealing, pig flopping all over. You may need a finishing shot. If you think that will traumatize your kid then get him an AR.
        Lol, so true.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Seen a hog one night and all I had was a .22. 200 lb boar and hit him behind the ear at 70 yards and he was stone dead. If you hit em right there’s not a problem.

Comment

Anywhere, there stinkin hogs. Dont be picky, with these animals quantity is better than quality of shot. Better to gut shot three than head shot one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
              I have .223 youth rifle that I have yet to let him shoot. I may have him try it out before we go hunt to see how it feels for him. Thanks.

Get him comfortable behind the .22, and let him shoot the .243 for the first time when the animal is in front of him. His adrenaline will be running enough he won’t feel the recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                My brother kills LOTS of hogs with a 22. Anything larger then that is like a magnum round to him.
                He does shoot the soft pocket behind the ear or in the ear. Your Son could take the very low heart shot, on a smaller hog, but even then recovery will be iffy. I would agree with a few other remarks here, let him shoot something a bit larger. Would not take much. even a 223 would be more adequate than the 22 in the body.

I will add this as it seems appropriate here.
                Last season my son and I were scouting around and just enjoying a day in the woods. I had my 270 on my shoulder just in case we spotted a hog I wanted. Well we did spot some pigs and my son (9 yrs old) hammered one with that rifle at just over 200 yards. I know that sounds like a BS story, but he had a very solid rest and shoots the 22 and 223 at the house. That was his first time with my larger rifle. I was nervous he was going to get scoped, but he held it good and all worked out.
                -Sometimes you just have to let them try. Another note to that. I missed one in the brush a few weeks later MUCH closer, and will never hear the end of it.
                Don’t sound like BS to me! My 10 year old shot his buck this year with my .270, didn’t phase him a bit.

Comment

Behind the ear!

Comment

Shot one at 60 yds right at dark with a scoped 22. Shot low behind shoulder, in heart. About a 60 lbr. Went about 20 yds. I was very amazed.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

For those saying let him shoot an AR, I don't have one.

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Let him shoot that 223 the first time on a live hog. He won’t feel it or hear the difference
                      Good idea, I will try this.

Comment

Right in the middle of the guts

Comment

I have a .22 mag you can borrow. It will work on a small pig.
                          Unfortunately I am in cypress.
                          Pm if you want to try

BIg pig

Comment

A neck shot with .22 will take the pig down as well. If you hit the spine. But earhole and less than 20 yards is my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                              I have a .22 mag you can borrow. It will work on a small pig.
                              Unfortunately I am in cypress.
                              Pm if you want to try

BIg pig
                              Man I have killed a pile of hogs with a 22mag with neck and head shots
                              I have a AR and find it way to loud!!! IMO AR'S unless suppressed are over rated as good guns for kids do to the loud factor

Comment

Working...
                              X