X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you aren't winning, you may as well make some money

Comment

Longhorns look like they got a cupcake schedule other then Oklahoma maybe Tcu and West Virginia they should have a 10 win season!!

Comment

Here is a couple SOS links, they all use different methods. Steele used the NCAA method.

Back To SECBy Matt SmithSouthernPigskin.comFollow us at Twitter.com/SouthernPigskin. Become a fan at the SouthernPigskin.com Facebook PageMatt Smith's 2018 strength of schedule rankings for every power conference school.1. Michigan2. Nebraska3. Rutgers4. Notre Dame5. Pittsburgh6. Texas A&M7. Indiana8. Northwestern9. LSU10. Maryland11. Texas12. Auburn13. UCLA14. Florida State15. Ohio State16. Oregon State17. Kansas18. Arizona State19. Georgia Tech20. Michigan State21.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
          Your right. He is a drama queen and twitter troll. Somebody will be glad they end up with him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him commit, decommit, and later sign at the end of the day with the original school he commits too. Much like Leon O'Neal last year.
          He is the lone outstanding shhhh and he's trying too hard to create suspense. I think he will play in Austin, but the above has crossed my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
            Longhorns look like they got a cupcake schedule other then Oklahoma maybe Tcu and West Virginia they should have a 10 win season!!
            LOL.

USC
            Purple Kryptonite in the Little Apple.

Based on the USA today pre season poll they play:

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-26-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              Revenue for 2016-17
              $211,960,034
              Revenue for 2011-12 - last year in Big 12.
              $87,296,532
              There is a lot more involved than just posting a number. College sports accounting is very fuzzy math and the numbers can be skewed to look however you need them to look.

I am not saying that A&M move to the SEC is not a lucrative one, because it is, but if they had stayed in the Big 12 there would not be as much of a gap as you are alluding to here.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                Yeah but 75,000 of that just hired the greatest coach and recruiter the world has EVER seen.

Just you watch...….
                $75,000? They told us he cost $75M��

Comment

LOL. Mil.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                    LOL.

USC
                    Purple Kryptonite in the Little Apple.

Based on the USA today pre season poll they play:

Did you really just admit kstate as a tough game? It certainly shouldn't be for a blue blood like texas, lolol!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                      There is a lot more involved than just posting a number. College sports accounting is very fuzzy math and the numbers can be skewed to look however you need them to look.

I am not saying that A&M move to the SEC is not a lucrative one, because it is, but if they had stayed in the Big 12 there would not be as much of a gap as you are alluding to here.
                      Before I assume here as I respect your insight on most things here, please expand on this comment.

Comment

minor breakdown to the number...

"Which includes money raised, licensing, etc. All took a huge leap with the move to the SEC. Almost $93 million of that amount was categorized as contributions received and spent by the department during that year."

"Fundraising campaigns related to a massive redevelopment of its football stadium that began in 2014, along with several other projects, have super-charged Texas A&M’s contribution totals."

"While the report shows Texas A&M with about $147 million in operating expenses for 2017 — an apparent annual surplus of more than $65 million — it also shows the school with just under $67 million in athletics-related capital expenditures during the year.

When schools borrow money to build or refurbish athletics facilities, the NCAA currently requires them to count annual debt service payments — the amount of principal and interest they repay in a given year — as an operational expense. Cash spending on facilities is supposed to be counted, and reported, separately from annual operating expenses.

As a result, contributions to Texas A&M’s athletics program that were made in 2017 and spent on facilities projects that year are being reported as operating revenue while most of the corresponding spending on those projects is not being reported as an annual operating expense."

Texas A&M athletics department’s chief financial officer, Jeff Toole, told USA TODAY Sports that when the facilities-related contributions are removed from consideration for 2017, “we are basically break-even, maybe a little less than break-even, for the year.”

Toole said the capital projects covered in 2017 were a continuation of the $485 million football stadium project, the construction of stadiums for softball and track and field, and the installation of some new video boards. Toole declined to provide amounts spent in 2017 on each project.

If Texas A&M’s capital spending for 2017 is added to its operational spending for the year, the total is just over $213.5 million.

Oklahoma State reported $241 million in revenue (not adjusting for inflation) for 2006, when the NCAA was having the schools use a different methodology for their annual financial reporting than the one they use now. Oklahoma State reported $211 million in donations for that year. About $165 million came from Boone Pickens, largely for facility upgrades made over time.

When Texas released its 2017 financial report a little more than a week ago, it showed nearly $215 million in annual operating revenue and $207 million in operating expenses. Texas also had nearly $4 million in capital spending, plus a separate $10.3 million transfer to the university that also is not considered an annual operating expense under the NCAA’s reporting system.

Texas A&M’s new athletics spending report showed no additional transfers to the university.

With the softball facility set to open in April and the track and field facility in September, Toole said he anticipates that Texas A&M’s revenue for its 2018 and 2019 fiscal years will resemble the 2017 total.

“After that, it might start to normalize a little bit,” Toole said, “but you never know.”

USA today article

The main number that matters is sports generated revenue.
                        Last edited by Chad C; 07-26-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I’m ready to see how it goes you can’t put to much in a preseason ranking.Really the only team you can bank on is Alabama and they can be beaten we have seen that the last couple years!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                            Before I assume here as I respect your insight on most things here, please expand on this comment.

I don't have a lot of time to get into it, but college accounting departments like all big business have ways to make the books look better or worse depending on where they put things and how they classify items. For example on the surface it looks like A&M made a profit of $65M in 2017, but in reality they basically broke even.

The Texas A&M athletics department’s chief financial officer, Jeff Toole, told USA TODAY Sports that when the facilities-related contributions are removed from consideration for 2017, “we are basically break-even, maybe a little less than break-even, for the year.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ue/1077373001/
                            This is just one example about how contributions, debt, university loans, university distributions, etc can be shown in different ways. To simply put a number up there does not tell the whole story. A few years ago, OSU reported something like 260M, but it was because T Boone gave 165M for a project.

The Big 12 signed a new TV contract in 2012, so that would have increased A&M's revenue had they stayed in the conference from the pervious year and every-time one of these contracts get signed, the money goes way up. I think they signed another TV contract in 2016 or so which would have brought them even more money. So comparing 2011 in the Big 12 vs 2017 in the SEC is not apples to apples. A good chunk of A&M's sudden jump in revenue has come from contributions for the new facilities (football, track, softball, etc). So this is not all just because they joined the SEC and the SEC is stuffing their pockets full of money.

Again, they are probably making more money in the SEC vs if they would be in the Big 12 but I don't believe that gap is that different and certainly as jaw dropping as the numbers Dave posted. I do think A&M is going to have to spend more money to compete in the SEC than in the Big 12 (one example, travel expenses alone).

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post

Time to get that Johnny rehab statue up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Time to get that Johnny rehab statue up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Johnny appears to be doing good. I sure hope he can keep it between the lines. Not for a football comeback but just as a person and contributor to society. That press conference he did earlier in the week when he was traded in the CFL is proof that he looks good and has a clear mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X