No announcement yet.

Who has not seen a tornado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite a few funnel clouds but never a tornado for me! odd, as I spend tons of time in the outdoors. Now I have hung around in a many hurricanes...…...pre Katrina!

Comment

Unfortunately have seen a couple pretty scary stuff

Comment

Only Funnel Clouds. Always told myself I would like to experience a hurricane. Then Harvey came, Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by dagdog View Post
          Was in one when I was a kid. The thing hit at night and I did not see it but it was loud. I can remember sitting up in bed hearing the windows shatter and thinking, "God, please don't let there be a tornado". My father came running into the bed room and pulled me out onto the floor. He had been up keeping an eye on things and had a window blow out that he was looking through. It was 1971 and there was no where near any kind of warning or spotting like we sometimes have today. We were all in the hall with my dad on top of me listening to it go over. It was loud. All kinds of stuff hitting the house. Just Loud. My dog was in the back yard and I thought she was dead. Once it was gone there was just this silence. By then the town was figuring out what was going on and they hit the air raid sirens. I can remember my dad saying "hang on, here it comes", not realizing that the sirens were kicked on way too late.

The Hereford tornado was not staying on the ground it kind of skipped along. Where is hit it was just like you would expect, houses looked like they had been shelled. When it skipped it was still powerful enough to tear off roofs, break windows and drive the debris from the homes that had taken a direct hit into the area around it. 2x4's through cars, roof top swamp coolers into folks houses. Dads old Pontiac had a 2x4 driven right through the front doors. My dog survived, she come trotting home about an hour later caked in mud.

We had an old willow tree in the front yard that was snapped in half. The half that was still upright had grass driven into it. Thats one of the things that got to me the most. Blades of Bermuda grass driven into the south side of that tree.

My folks had a cellar built after that. Most of the neighborhood would end up down there with us for the next season or so but eventually the fear wore off and people stopped being so jumpy. That and they didn't want to be down there for too long, my dog had bad gas.

That is a crazy story! I kept reading to find out about the pup glad she made it home. I wonder if she was taken for a ride or if she knew what was coming and ran for some kind of cover.

I have never seen a tornado besides a couple of water spouts blowing in. had one hit in Long Boat Key. we were sitting on a roof top bar just sippin beer shootin the S when all of a sudden everything on that rooftop started swirling anything not tied down went airborne. all the stools that had butts in seats stayed put but menus napkins drinks umbrellas all took off. we didn't know what happened till a guy came up and said he had pics of the spout as it beached form his hotel. I never saw that plate of gator tail again….

Comment

Looks like another thread revival. I've actually seen six. One in Odessa when I was a kid, around 1974-75. Then saw five in one day outside of Mr. Vernon. That was the day after the horrific OKC tornado. One other destroyed some town near where we were vacationing one year in the early 70's, but I didn't see it because it hit at night. I remember hearing it and seeing the destruction in town the next day. Those can be some bad mamajama's!

Comment

Seen two, one while in high school in Houston while looking out the school windows across the street. Second was and while living in Corpus, at the end of the street I lived on.

Both were minimal, EF0/1. Blown over fences, couple shingles ripped off, couple limbs broken type.

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                Looks like another thread revival. I've actually seen six. One in Odessa when I was a kid, around 1974-75.
                That would be 1973, it tore a part of my parents house away.

Comment

Seen a few funnel clouds but never seen one touch down.

Comment

I have had them within a mile of me on all sides during my stint in Oklahoma City. I have had all I want. You can have all of the ones that were for me in the future. Nothing more scary that when the sky turns that grey/green color and hail starts changing directions.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                      I have not. You cant see them from the bottom of a storm cellar
                      Is that you Creepy Joe?

For the record, I haven't seen one

Comment

I've seen some big dang dust devils, some HUGE waterspouts, and a few funnel clouds dropping out of storms. But, I've yet to see a F1 or bigger type tornado on the ground.

Comment

As long as they can respond to this thread then it worked out ok for them. It is an awe inspiring site. It will make you feel small but alive.

Comment

I've never seen one

Comment

We had one north of Laramie in 2018. The area was so open everyone in town went out to watch it. Minimal damage to homes, no injuries.
                              It was very awesome to see.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great pics.

I’ve never seen one.

Comment

Working...
                                X