No announcement yet.

The Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome! great haul of sheds right there!

Comment

Been a busy offseason. Getting some decent rain compared to last year but our ponds are still way low. Thankfully we have water throughout the entire ranch. The deer are really looking good, hammering our protein and cottonseed and starting to get some horn growth. We are starting to see a couple fawns and does that have clearly fawned out. Earlier this spring we spent Easter at the ranch and had a blast. Had Nathan from Big Country Snake Removal come out and check under the ranch managers house, around the barn and take a look around for signs of snakes, dens etc. Luckily he found nothing. He indicated that our high numbers of blue indigos are keeping the other snakes at bay. He and his team were super professional and clearly know and love snakes. Very interesting to listen to them. They also snake trained our tracking dogs, bird dogs and my personal dog. That was interesting to see. Once the dogs got lit up, they wanted nothing to do with any kind of snake. Earlier in the spring we posted on the A&M Department of Wildlife and Fisheries job board for an intern. We had numerous applicants and ended up hiring a soon to be senior in the ranch management program at Virginia Tech. We were concerned that he wasn’t aware of what South Texas is like in the summer. He said he was up for it and accepted the position. He drove straight from Virginia to the ranch, arrived on Saturday morning and started work on a Monday. Ranch Manager showed him around that day, checked feeders, just got the lay of the land. On Tuesday, he and another hand started removing old fence and by early afternoon he called the ranch manager that he couldn’t take it and was tapping out. We told him to sit tight, lets talk about it, some days you get to check feeders, some days you’ve got to do the hard work. He left in the middle of the night. The good news is the ranch manager was out picking up two new horses I bought outside of San Antonio. We are so excited and my middle daughter is beyond excited, she rides 5 days a week here in Houston. They are great horses for what we need, just casual riding, a little loping and general saddle horses. Tito (the grey) and Dutch (sorrel) are now part of the family! We also got the pilas done for swimming. They have been a hit! We are headed down there for the 4th of July for a little swimming, horseback riding, minimal work and just screwing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
        by early afternoon he called the ranch manager that he couldn’t take it and was tapping out. We told him to sit tight, lets talk about it, some days you get to check feeders, some days you’ve got to do the hard work. He left in the middle of the night.
        The above is sadly about normal for the age group.

But I love your place and check on this thread often.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
          The above is sadly about normal for the age group.

But I love your place and check on this thread often.

True. Our ranch manager is a young guy that works circles around most anybody. He was just shaking his head at this kid leaving in the dark of night. Here are a few more pics.

Comment

So we drank deep from the shallow trough
            And wetting my hair gave me the thought
            That a swim in that big tank might cool me down.....

You all are truly blessed. Congratulations on this piece of heaven!

Comment

A solid half day work of work....builds character lol

Comment

Great pictures, your using your new ranch exactly like its suppose to be

I hate to hear about the college kid, he shows the early traits of not making it very far in life

Comment

I’m not sure how I missed it originally, but just read this thread for the first time! You have an absolutely incredible place! Love that it’s not just about hunting, but family time as well! Can’t wait to see what y’all produce this hunting season!
                  Keep up with the updates! I’ll be following along from here on out!

Comment

More! Great pics! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Been a ton happening since this summer update. Got some horses and have really enjoyed the rides. So nice to get that perspective of the ranch. Lost one of our top up and coming bucks. Makes me so sad but there is nothing we can do. Moving in to hunting mode and hoping for cooler weather. Two weeks ago good buddy HouCav arrowed an old fat buck. Made a great shot and the tracking was easy. Last weekend my son shot a super old buck. Got some great video footage from my arlo cam located at the feeder. Pretty cool perspective Looking forward to some time down there during Thanksgiving.

Comment

looking good! Not sure how i missed this thread, but I will stay tuned in now!

Comment

Always enjoy your updates, Lance! Looking really good.

Comment

Glad to see you post an update.

Comment

Talk about living the dream! When is the next hiring lol

Comment

Congrats to your boy and friend. Nice old toads.

Comment

Working...
                                X