3 months salary ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twipper333 View Post
    I will tell you like Dave Ramsey told me, do not go into debt for a ring. Also, do not over spend. Unless you are a millionaire and extremely wealthy and have disposable income to just throw away, no one has any business over spending for a ring.

If anything under-spend, then on your 5 year anniversary, buy her an upgrade if she's still worried about it.

Also, something else I learned. All of the salesmen will sell you on the 4 C's...Cut, Clarity, Color and Carat. I would say, buy a bigger diamond that might not have as much clarity. A woman, nor her friends will ever look under a microscope at all of the imperfections that the diamond includes.

I spent more money on a diamond that was premium clarity and color but it wasn't as big as others in the same price range.

This is all just food for thought and maybe I am rambling. If I did it over again, the only thing I would do differently is buy a bigger one that might not be as "Desirable" in the jewelry community. It's not an investment that will appreciate over time, it's a sunk cost.....
    I agree with this. I bought a low quality 1kt diamond necklace...from the MPX whilst stationed in Japan. I took the necklace to a Japanese jeweler and had mounted in a yellow gold ring I chose. The Japs like very clear diamonds (subsequently small) and not fans of yellow gold...the Jap jeweler frowned at my tactics and materials but I got what I wanted to give her. 2.5k max total. She was happy...even after I busted out the monocular and pointed out the coal.

Good luck. Hope your lady is happy with your choice.

Comment

have your future wife go ring shopping let her find one she likes, then go back and get it by your self. wait a couple of months then get on a knee. worked out for me.

Comment

We need to petition Pulsar, Flir, and Trijicon to start an ad campaign that states every woman must buy her husband a thermal with at lease 640 x 480 resolution !

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          Whatever you’re comfortable with whether that’s 2k or 30k. Don’t base it on salary or months salary just figure a good number you’re comfortable with that will get a ring you’re happy with. She will love it either way but I’m not on the upgrade later thing.
          Agree 100% with this.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            We need to petition Pulsar, Flir, and Trijicon to start an ad campaign that states every woman must buy her husband a thermal with at lease 640 x 480 resolution !

Comment

Pay what you can afford. Anyone would understand that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I almost wish I lived there.

Comment

Dont worry about what everyone else thinks or says.
                  Should he worry about what you say?

Comment

This may be why I’ve never been engaged...

Comment

I did about 3 months salary deal, when I bought my wife’s ring I saved up and got something I knew she would like. I figure hopefully it will be the only one I ever buy so I spent about 10,000$ on it. Sometimes I wish I’d saved the money but you only live once.

Comment

I bought my wife what I thought she would like at a price I could afford. Didn’t break the budget and she was thrilled. I’ve heard of people spending 30k on a ring and that is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Just don't buy her a set of boobs. Every friend I have that did that ended up paying for them so another guy could enjoy them.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                          Uh oh.... That was something I really didn't need to read.

On the ring topic my lady kept her rings from her previous marriage(s) and we traded those in on a 1c diamond ring for her for our wedding.

No way in heck I had 10K+ laying around to buy that one outright.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                            My first marriage was young and crazy - Im getting old and settled down now, and apparently there is a "rule" for this engagement ring stuff. I was informed an "acceptable" ring needs to be 3 months salary?

Have yall heard of this before? When did this come about?
                            Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                            Okay - so, that's what I'm saying. I can afford a dang nice ring, and a lot of that is because of how well she does. I have a truck payment ($350) and that's it.

We have a great house, and have lived together for 2 years. Everything is great. I have no debt or anything nagging at me.

So, if you were doing well and are 35, not just starting out. What would you spend on your engagement ring? Yes, she would be happy with whatever I got her, but what would you want to do for her?
                            Good grief, man! Just go buy her a darn ring that you feel comfortable buying and that she will be proud to wear! Quit worrying what WE would do!

...and remember to report back with what you paid!

Comment

Find somebody that has a market card and go with them. You have to pay them a couple hundred for taking you but it’s well worth the savings. This is the place where most jewelry places get there jewelry and rings from. The ring I got my wife is valued at 10,000 and I payed 4K for it. That’s how high of a mark up jewelry stores have.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                Just don't buy her a set of boobs. Every friend I have that did that ended up paying for them so another guy could enjoy them.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                                Nothing more true.

We know nine couple's where the wife got bolt ons. In seven of those situations the wife left the husband for another guy within a year. One of the two that is still together, the wife had an affair but the husband stayed with her.

Comment

Working...
                                X