No announcement yet.

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boat ain't ready or I'd go somewhere this weekend! I'm so bummed out about our Chandeleur trip getting the Alberto treatment!! I'm all packed and nowhere to go!!
    Y'all tare 'em up boys!! Be sure and come back to this thread and post up some pics so I can at least drool over fish pics...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      My boat ain't ready or I'd go somewhere this weekend! I'm so bummed out about our Chandeleur trip getting the Alberto treatment!! I'm all packed and nowhere to go!!
      Y'all tare 'em up boys!! Be sure and come back to this thread and post up some pics so I can at least drool over fish pics...
      Did you reschedule Charlie ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
        Nice. Good luck!
        Thank ya! Boat is loaded down and we’re leaving now! Should be breaking the jetties around 4:45-5:00.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          Did you reschedule Charlie ?
          Not yet. My podner will be talking to 'em today after all the hatches are battened down. I'm sittin' here cryin' in my coffee this morning... My lovely bride has all sorts of things on her list for ME to get done now that I'm gonna be home...

Comment

We head back to San Antonio Bay/Seadrift Thursday after work. My plan (every trip I change it up because starting this past January, I haven’t caught jack) is to launch out of Swan Point just before first light Friday. Go North and fish the grass line to the first and second canals for reds. Then I’ll jump on the Victoria barge canal and head to the southern end of the bay along Big Reef and Big Bird Island for specs. When I head south more than likely I will drift. May cut over to Drum Bay if the wind doesn’t cooperate?

Will anyone else be down around POC next weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sailed out of Conn Brown Saturday. Launched well before the circus began - parking lot was the fullest I've ever witnessed. So many boats on the water with dozens of Wide Open Throttle skinny water dudes, blowing over lines of my drift made it a really tough fish.

I knew it was going to be nuts and it was. The majority are anchoring with croaker or live shrimp. Between anchor setups, they zip wide open throttle over flats and less than 50 yards from my drift lines. Every time you blow a flat like that, it scatters the fish. So many have no clue what skinny water fishing is about.

I made several multi mile drifts and never spotted a speck or redfish. Pinfish and lizard fish prevailed. Drifted behind the island chain on both sides of the Port Aransas to Aransas Pass causeway - western shoreline of Aransas Bay.

In spite of the pressure, I scratched up 6 specks, a bull red (around 20 lbs), a just shy of 20" rat red with 6 skipjacks. Spotted several manta rays, a couple of tailing and feeding 15lb class black drum (at sunup_ and got blown up by a pair of 3ft long bodied fish (couldn't identify the species). The bigger fish blow up was drifting the western shoreline of Lydia Ann channel. I suspect jacks or bull reds but the strike was a single boil with no hookup.

Reds hit gold spoon. Bull red hooked up in 4ft of water near the Mud Island reef. I had the right wind to setup 6ft up to 1ft of water drifts and scored that fish in the deeper mark - just above about 15 to 20 boats and waders on the reef itself. Once the boats started blowing over my line - everything shut down. That was frustrating.

Specks hit Rapala single hook plugs. The skipjacks were side shows to targeting specks.

I watched a guy blow across literally a half mile of flat, wide open throttle, and zipped over my line on retrieve, near a spoil island.....with the audacity to wave at me.

Boat ran great - new tune. Good day in spite of dealing with crowds.

Decided to make it a one day trip and rolled home.

Comment

Man, that water is absolutely beautiful!! Dang shame courtesy and respect are so far gone... Could be ignorance to etiquette, no matter it sure messes up a good day on the water...

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                  Sailed out of Conn Brown Saturday. Launched well before the circus began - parking lot was the fullest I've ever witnessed. So many boats on the water with dozens of Wide Open Throttle skinny water dudes, blowing over lines of my drift made it a really tough fish.

I knew it was going to be nuts and it was. The majority are anchoring with croaker or live shrimp. Between anchor setups, they zip wide open throttle over flats and less than 50 yards from my drift lines. Every time you blow a flat like that, it scatters the fish. So many have no clue what skinny water fishing is about.

I made several multi mile drifts and never spotted a speck or redfish. Pinfish and lizard fish prevailed. Drifted behind the island chain on both sides of the Port Aransas to Aransas Pass causeway - western shoreline of Aransas Bay.

In spite of the pressure, I scratched up 6 specks, a bull red (around 20 lbs), a just shy of 20" rat red with 6 skipjacks. Spotted several manta rays, a couple of tailing and feeding 15lb class black drum (at sunup_ and got blown up by a pair of 3ft long bodied fish (couldn't identify the species). The bigger fish blow up was drifting the western shoreline of Lydia Ann channel. I suspect jacks or bull reds but the strike was a single boil with no hookup.

Reds hit gold spoon. Bull red hooked up in 4ft of water near the Mud Island reef. I had the right wind to setup 6ft up to 1ft of water drifts and scored that fish in the deeper mark - just above about 15 to 20 boats and waders on the reef itself. Once the boats started blowing over my line - everything shut down. That was frustrating.

Specks hit Rapala single hook plugs. The skipjacks were side shows to targeting specks.

I watched a guy blow across literally a half mile of flat, wide open throttle, and zipped over my line on retrieve, near a spoil island.....with the audacity to wave at me.

Boat ran great - new tune. Good day in spite of dealing with crowds.

Decided to make it a one day trip and rolled home.

My FIL wanted to go fishing this weekend until I reminded him it’s was Memorial Day weekend. We both agreed to hold off until after the Holiday.

It’s crazy how inconsiderate people are, but it’s part of saltwater fishing unfortunately. I’ve stopped counting on how many drifts we have had ruined by people running over flats or reefs.

Comment

We killed a few fish today.

Comment

Originally posted by trevormcgee View Post
                      Bite got hot right before sundown

Who caught the most...you or Jswag?

Nice catch!!

Comment

Fished Surfside....never seen so many Bluefish in the bay! We gave up and moved on after catching about 30 of them.

Comment

Not a bad 4 days of fishing for me. Thursday and Friday I hit PINS for some shark fishing which resulted in a trip of a lifetime. I ran 4 baits and all got picked up landing 3 of them. A new personal best shark for me which was a 11’8” Greater Hammerhead with a 56” girth. I also landed a stud bull measuring 8’3” with a 51” girth. The 3rd was a feisty 5’ blacktip. Also while headed down I hit a couple of deep wade guts. I landed a fat 25” trout and lost another big one. Those were on plastics.

All of them were photoed, tagged, fin clipped and released.

On Sat and Sun I switched gears and hit the bay for some trout action. They were indeed hungry. As expected people were out in full force and the boat ramp was full but like most times that never bothers my style of fishing. We made work on both days landed plenty of good trout.

Its looking like its going to be a great year for fishing.

Tight lines boys and girls....

Comment

Sounds like a couple of great days of fishing Poco congrats!

Comment

Congrats Ray. That Hammerhead is totally awesome.

Comment

Nice haul Ray!

Comment

Working...
                                X