2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
    I hit Port A south jetty today. 7:30 in the morning till 3 pm, and not a fish on the fly rod. Matter of fact, the whole jetty seemed to be having horrible luck. Saw only 2 kings and 2 big red fish pulled out between the whole crew on the end of the jetty today.
    Did I talk to you on the Jetty Saturday morning? I had the white Majek fishing tournament TShirt with a custom 12ft surf rod and a custom 10 wt fly rod with the green stripping bucket, blue Penn tackle back pack? Black and white Costa Rica ball cap with a gold fish hook on the bill - camo cargo shorts.

You had a blue stripping bucket?

I got bit off by a good king after a short hookup and fight - next to the rocks. It wasn't en fuego on the rocks by any means and considering the crowd there, with 3.5 hours of casting with only one king to speak of.....rolled out and south.

Surf was rough and full of skipjacks - which became literally a pain to deal with. Good day in spite of not scoring Pompano. Didn't feel like wading the wade gut with the surf running 3ft - water conditions were great though. Being in a front-wheel drive rental car (truck in shop), I was limited in setup locations. Sure was hoping the crowds would have been thinner being Mother's Day weekend - the HUKsters were out in force!

Watched a family with speck lights - South Packery channel jetty area fish for several hours without a single speck, red - nothing. Sundown up to midnight before I left and rolled back to Boerne. That was odd and pretty darn slow going.

Next weekend - I'm hitting the flats in the old skiff!
    Last edited by AtTheWall; 05-14-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

You can find Borboleta's on Amazon Prime. The red nose/white body twitch bait is there as well as the Holographic Pink model - both known color killers for summer patterns.

Brazilian lure company. Costly for a swim/twitch bait.

Comment

Baffin sheepshead on da flyyy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
          Had a good trip down to Aransas Pass area ended up with 9 trout,4 reds, and 1 sheepshead all most all on top water. 5 trout over 20” one of which that was 25.5”. [

Congrats!

Comment

Who all uses braid on baitcast reels here for inshore saltwater fishing? Please give me pros and cons.
            Last edited by Aggiehunter08; 05-14-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
              Who all uses braid on baitcast reels here for inshore saltwater fishing. Please give me pros and cons.
              I use 20-30lb. Pros higher line capacity, more sensitivity, further casting, usually easier to get a back lash out. Cons can’t tie directly to lure/hook need a leader, cost, when it gets frayed it breaks easily, and if you don’t tie a good knot they can slip easily.

I love using braid I have been in several situations where I hooked big 35-40” reds on small reels to have them run the whole spool out, without the capacity i would have lost the fish.

This is my .02.

Comment

I've been using braid for a good while now. It's not very abrasion resistant but I can live with that. I tie directly to the lure, unless I'm in gin clear water, which is not the case where I fish. The sensitivity is what I like. I run 20# Fins Windtamer.
                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 05-14-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I use 20-30lb. Pros higher line capacity, more sensitivity, further casting, usually easier to get a back lash out. Cons can’t tie directly to lure/hook need a leader, cost, when it gets frayed it breaks easily, and if you don’t tie a good knot they can slip easily.

I love using braid I have been in several situations where I hooked big 35-40” reds on small reels to have them run the whole spool out, without the capacity i would have lost the fish.

This is my .02.
                  Thank you sir

Comment

Had a good trip down to Aransas Pass area ended up with 9 trout,4 reds, and 1 sheepshead all most all on top water. 5 trout over 20” one of which that was 25.5”. [ATTACH]908005[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]908006[/ATTACH][ATTACH]908007[/ATTACH][ATTACH]908008[/ATTACH][ATTACH]908009[/ATTACH][ATTACH]908010[/ATTACH][ATTACH]908011[/ATTACH][ATTACH]908012[/ATTACH]

Heck yea man, that's a pretty good haul

Originally posted by crimson-talon View Post

Baffin sheepshead on da flyyy

Congrats on a cool Fly Rod catch. Had to be a fun fight.

Comment

My family and I fished Matagorda 6 days last week. Hammered the Bull reds 20 to 38 lbs. Caught probably 150 caught by 7 people. Sand sharks, black tips and bull sharks from 36 to 56 inches well over one hundred caught. Fished just outside of the jetties using cut mullet.

Comment

Originally posted by steve corn View Post
                        My family and I fished Matagorda 6 days last week. Hammered the Bull reds 20 to 38 lbs. Caught probably 150 caught by 7 people. Sand sharks, black tips and bull sharks from 36 to 56 inches well over one hundred caught. Fished just outside of the jetties using cut mullet.
                        And not 1 picture?

Comment

Who all uses braid on baitcast reels here for inshore saltwater fishing? Please give me pros and cons.
                          Been using exclusively braid almost since the original spiderwire came out... After you fish with it, fishing with mono is like trying to fish with a rubberband... I currently use spiderwire 50# or 65#... It's plenty small for me to get 125 yards or so in my Diawa Coastals, and about 110 yards on the old Curados... I've whupped many a bull red with those reels and narry a break-off unless using a mono or fluoro leader... Stuff is so sensitive, you can feel a soft plastic "swim" close to an oyster shell... Only time you really need to use a leader is if you're fishing topwaters so you can tie a loop knot to free up the lure to work more naturally. In trout green water, you can tie soft plastics directly to the line.

Comment

30lb braid for me on all my reels with a floro leader. As others have stated I like the sensitivity and the ability to spool a lot of line. Con is for me it's harder to get a backlash out due to being much smaller diameter. Crazy Alberto knot for the transition from braid to leader is pretty quick and easy. Google it if you need to see it.

Comment

Switched years ago and couldn't stand it. Just my .02. I switched back to mono after 1 summer. They both have their pros and cons....

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                                Switched years ago and couldn't stand it. Just my .02. I switched back to mono after 1 summer. They both have their pros and cons....
                                Quitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X