No announcement yet.

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In June I had a customer who was fighting a 27" trout and a 3' or so shark came up and got after it. That shark bit off 7/8 of the trout's tail. It left enough tail to get a length measurement but that's it. We usually release all our big trout but that one was toast. That was drifting the far west end.

Comment

Dang. I figured if they were anywhere it would be on the east side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
        They will get you in the surf too. And there are more and more showing up in East Matagorda. I have caught more sharks this year in East Matagorda than ever before. Not big ones but big enough to steal fish off your stringer.
        Big sissy

Comment

Been in Houston 2 months now and still haven’t made it to the coast to fish... Making to many dang excuses and just need to go

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            There are several ways you can make them. I take a plain ol' 5 gallon bucket and drill 1/2 " holes all over it. Put a minnow bucket lid on it with the little door you can open. I drill a hole and use a small piece of bungee cord to be able to latch the door shut. Put a pool noodle around the top of the bucket with zip ties. Add a rope to drag it by. Put your fish in the bucket. They will stay alive pretty well and you'd be surprised how many will fit in in.

Alternatively I have seen folks rig up rubbermade totes in a similar fashion with a pool noodle float and lid. Also seen folks use laundry baskets and cut a laundry bag open, zip tie it to the top and use that for your lid with a pool noodle float around the top.

You get the basic idea. I can take a pic of one of my buckets if you like. The bucket, so far, has been 100% effective for me. They will come check it out, may even try to mouth on it a little but I have not yet had any issue with it. And if a shark is big enough to crunch a 5 gallon bucket, he can have my fish. I'll be in the boat.
            Gotcha, makes sense. I was thinking you put a bucket of blood out in the bay somewhere then went fishing a ways off, something to keep them busy lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Gotcha, makes sense. I was thinking you put a bucket of blood out in the bay somewhere then went fishing a ways off, something to keep them busy lol
              I'd like to drop one near the pot lickers sometimes

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post

LMAO. That would be epic

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post

I prefer a bag of fritos. Its kinda two fold, the oily chip makes a slick fisherman can see then the birds start to 'work'

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    I prefer a bag of fritos. Its kinda two fold, the oily chip makes a slick fisherman can see then the birds start to 'work'
                    I like the way you work sir!!

Comment

This 10 day forecast is really putting a damper on my fishing time... thought we were done with the 2 weeks of straight rain already

Comment

This 10 day forecast is really putting a damper on my fishing time... thought we were done with the 2 weeks of straight rain already
                        Tell me about it

My days are already limited to bow hunt before the bang sticks and the rain is chipping away at those. I dont even want to look at the biloxi 2 week forecast

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Tell me about it

My days are already limited to bow hunt before the bang sticks and the rain is chipping away at those. I dont even want to look at the biloxi 2 week forecast
                          Especially with your luck this year

Comment

https://www.thewadingring.com/

I though about getting one of these but I really like the "Shark Bucket" idea better. I wade the surf sometimes and have had my fish stolen before. Not a good feeling to have your fish swimming between your legs, trying to escape the sharks.

Comment

Especially with your luck this year
                              shhhhhh.....

Comment

Last edited by Deathrow Jethro; 09-25-2018, 08:19 AM. Reason: Double Post

Comment

Working...
                                X