Iowa Barndo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post

For years post frame building or pole barns....whatever you prefer to call them were all built by burying the wood columns directly in the ground. Most post frame buildings are still built this way. There are barns in Iowa that are way over 100 years old that are still being used that are built this way. A new construction technique uses Perma Columns. Perma Columns are a very high strength concrete pilings (10,000 psi) cast with rebar inside and bracket on top that is welded to the rebar. The laminated wood 6x6 column is then bolted into to bracket. This keeps the wood columns from being in contact with the soil. Our Perma Columns go 5' into the ground. The bottom of the Perma Column is set in concrete then the pier hole is back filled with crushed stone.

Click on this link for more info on Perma Columns

https://www.permacolumn.com/
    Oh, I see. Thank you for explaining that. It sounds like a better way to go in that climate. I would think that method would not be the best for our heavy clay soil (I have black, red, and grey clay).

So how many square feet is your new home?

Comment

40'x40' living area with 9' ceilings
      40'x40' Ag shop with 16' ceiling
      16'x40' Open bay storage area for RV, tractor, 3D targets[emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
        Oh, I see. Thank you for explaining that. It sounds like a better way to go in that climate. I would think that method would not be the best for our heavy clay soil (I have black, red, and grey clay).

So how many square feet is your new home?
        See post above.

Comment

Looking good Mike!! Can't wait to see the finished project!

Comment

As I have mentioned before.... building a house is a chore. Building one from 700 miles away is a bigger chore.

We are slowly making progress. The main slab is poured. We pulled our camper up on Monday. My long time friend 2050z (Timm) made the trip with me. We set a mailbox, checked game cams, set a couple more game cams, put a bunch of our belongings in our storage building, and got our water meter installed by the water supply company. I really appreciate Timm's help. We had great time. I am glad Timm got to see our farm. When we got up yesterday morning it was 55 degrees. We looked out and a nice buck in velvet cruised by the camper and jumped our front fence.

Comment

Couple more pics.

That last one is Timm doing his best work.[emoji1]

Comment

Cool Davis County barn not far from our farm. This barn has 3 wings. Each wing is 120' long. This barn will hold 450 cows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Davis County Barn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	24547577

Comment

Lookin good Mike! But you need to watch out for the company you keep!

Comment

Great place and photos, Timm's good people.

Rwc

Comment

Looks great Mike, Congrats!! Love those old barns also!!

Comment

A few progress pictures from our Iowa bardominium. The Amish building erection crew got started on Thursday. They are doing a great job.The septic contractor got the tank set, sand filter installed and got the state inspection yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                          Great place and photos, Timm's good people.

Rwc
                          Thanks and Timm is a great friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                            Looks great Mike, Congrats!! Love those old barns also!!
                            Lee. There are some beautiful old barns in Iowa. Most are still on use.

Comment

The place looks like it's coming along nicely . Amish are a hard working people. I lived in Ohio for 3.5 years. They were everywhere. Lotta interesting buildings, barns, and homes well over 100 years old. I lived in a farm house next to a centennial home on a farm while there. The 90 YOA something lady that lived in the 3 story house plus basement, it was her grandfather that built the house him self. Her son owned the IH dealership in the town near by. He had a ton of antique tractors he had been collecting in the barns on the place. Every one of them ran.

That corn field across the road from you is gonna help pull the deer in.

Comment

Awesome! Glad to see an alternative to burying wood posts through concrete into the groUnd. That’s the main reason We have only built metal frame buildings in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X